Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Show me your overhead porch lights!

bpath
10 years ago

Before we paint the exterior, I want to nix the big colonial brass (even if brass is coming back) wall-mounted lights, and install overhead lighting instead. I love the glow of entries that have overhead lights, instead of light shining. But it's hard to find pictures of porch ceilings, so I'm asking GWers.

The ceiling isn't high enough for a hanging lantern.

The porch is 36' wide, with a door at either end (each with its own walkway approach) and the kitchen windows in between. Do I go with 3-4 lights, or just one above each door? Are they completely recessed, or are they flush mount?

And finally, what do I do with the old installation? They are on painted cedar siding, so can the painter fill the holes in, or should we just replace them with smaller, more subtle, even frosted, wall lights?

Comments (10)

• jennybc
    10 years ago

In our new build we did all can lights on dimmers. We can make the entire wrap around porch really bright or just glow like moon light. We love it! Sorry I don't have a pic.

Jen

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

These are ours. There are three of them out on our front portal. Our builder found them for us in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. They give very adequate light and the patterns they throw out are so pretty in the evening. Hmmm, I can see that I need to get out the ladder and clean that glass (LOL)!
    Lynn

• bpath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those lanterns are wowzers, Lynn, and I'd love to be able to say mine come from San Miguel de Allende, but it's a colonial in the Great Lakes, sadly not a match. But I wish!

Jennybc, I never though of a dimmer! So they're just can lights, outdoor rated? How far apart are they?

• jackson2348
    10 years ago

We have a can centered in each section of our porch. There are 5 sections. The center will have a gas lantern, but the ceilings are really high. Love the idea of a dimmer for the cans!

• bpath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jackson, that is a lovely porch. What time for gin and tonics?

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Love the dimmers! We have 14-15 cans spread out around our 8' deep porch. Porch wraps around 32x46' house. Don't know the spacing off hand. I can check. The back door has the dimmer. The lights can be turned off/on at any door to the pre-set level. We also have fans on the back off the kitchen/dining area. My only requirement was to have the fans be between the lights, far enough apart as to not have a strobe effect. Dad did the placement. When the lights are really low it looks like moonlight coming in all first floor windows... Excellent glow. Pic of porches.

Jen

• Jules
    10 years ago

Beautiful porch, Jackson. What paint color did you use on the ceiling?

• jackson2348
    10 years ago

Thanks, y'all! Ceiling is BM Swept Away. We tried Palladian Blue but it was darker than we wanted. Cocktails at 5, of course :)

Jennybc, I love a wrap around porch. What a lovely setting too.

• msrose
    10 years ago

jennybc - Wow! What state do you live in? It looks like you're on top of the mountain.

Jackson - Love, love, love the blue ceiling! The brick color and blue ceiling make me think of New Orleans for some reason.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Kentucky. From the road. Set back and actually just on a hill. ðÂÂÂOverlooking an open valley below and to the right with a pond.
    This was during construction. I really need better pics.
    Jen