Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More on the north facing LR

Posted by shadey (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 12:03

Thanks for all of your input on the north facing room! yes, I think a warm yellowish tone will be good! here is another dilemma that some of you probably have great advice for:

The North wall is a big bay window .. Good ... But no direct light.

The West wall includes a fabulous mantel, chair rail, tons of moulding andetailing. it is definitely a feature! But... Too detailed and it would be awfully busy if I highlighted with white trim. My architect wants me to paint the entire room one color (instead of the traditional wall versus trim) and just use a sheen to bring out the detailing. I like the idea, BUT

Since I am leaning towards yellow, I am afraid that the yellow will over power and be, well, TOO Yellow. it needs to be balanced by white, but will the white of the ceiling and kitchen cabinets (adjoining room ... 4 foot cased opening) be enough?

I would love to post a pic but I don't think my iPad will let me ...

Thanks!

Shadey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More on the north facing LR

Here's a paint shade that would work for trim and walls ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Ancient Ivory OC-133

o

.... and another .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Corinthian White OC-111

o

..... and just for discussion and comparison ...

.... a VERY pale pink .... again .... would work well for trim and walls ....

.... fascinating color ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Pink Damask OC-72

o

..... and a slightly more yellow tone ....

.... again .... would work well for trim and walls ......

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Man on the Moon OC-106

o

I would not paint the woodwork the same color as the walls. I think it's too important a feature.

White and yellow are a classic combination for a bright, crisp look. However, yellow tends to be overpowering (ask me about my dining room) and for that reason it almost always needs to be either paler than you think you need, or muted. Pale is not the way to go for walls in a north-facing room.

Often the best choice is a yellowish tan rather than a true yellow. One option you should consider is taking the lightest color on the same strip as one of the yellow-tans that were suggested and using that for the woodwork. It will be almost white, but calmer than a true white.

o

In our previous house I used Benj, Moore barley and other colors on that paint strip in our living room. The walls were one of the paler colors, the fireplace wall was a darker color and the painted mantel was darker yet. The trim was all painted white. (And the adjacent sunroom was the palest color on that strip). Sorry I don't have any pictures. I thought it looked really nice together. I do not remember any more which direction the living room faced, but there were huge oak trees out front shading the windows so it was not a bright room.

o

These are some great ideas! I am off to the paint store now for samples. Thanks!

o

I really think we need a pic!

o

I agree to paint the trim a different color than the walls. If you have all that gorgeous trim why not highlight it! A yellow based tan that I had in my old house that was a pretty color in both direct sunlight and in shadows is SW Ivoire. I'll link to a pic

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivoire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here