Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Where to put the porch lights?

bpath
9 years ago

Thanks for the pics of your porch ceiling lights! My next question is, given the lack of rhythm on my porch, where to put them? The front door is cut in the middle by the gabled overhang in front of it, the windows are not centered between the posts, everything is a different size.

So, should we have one above each door, and one centered in the middle, or just one above each door?

I'd like to remove the existing wall mount lights. Think the painter can patch the hole?

There are lots of other porch issues to take care of, for example this year we need to mud jack the porch a bit and part of the front walks, paint the house, and depending on what happens with the mud jacking have the gutter adjusted. In the future, we will replace the front door, and I'd love to do something with the bushes, though the plantings in front of them are nice once they come up. But for now, I need to plan lighting before painting.

(Let me know if the pic is right side up for you, and what device you're on. I took pic and am posting from iPad)

Comments (10)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Borrowed & righted. The view was upsidedown on my desktop. :)

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

Am I missing something, I only see one door??

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Way over on the left, behind the crooked bell, is the service door. It's more visible IRL, but is the same color as the siding.

Thanks for the flip, Gyr Falcon :)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Are those porchlights I see that are already there? The lantern on the left side of the door isn't centered between the door and window.

I don't remember if I posted this or not in your last topic, but unless there is a lightbulb besides yellow that will deflect bugs, I wouldn't put a light above the door.

Your best bet is to put a lantern centered between the door & window, and put another one near the service door

If you want the whole porch lit you can put a fixture on the ceiling centered between two lanterns.

That's what we have and it lights up the whole area. And it looks pretty. :)

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, oakleyok. Actually, I'd like to take down the wall mounted lights, and just have overheads. The bugs aren't much of a problem, if the lights are on during bug season it's too late for guests!

So just 3, one above each door and one between the two posts, which would be above the breakfast nook window? It would be above the left hand of the double-ganged window.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

Ok, I see the other door now. Are you planning on flush mount lights on the ceiling or hanging lanterns?

I kinda like the wall mount by the service door, maybe you could just change it out to coordinate with the new fixtures.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What if you did recessed lights in the area between the two doors, then an overhead light at each door, with each overhead on its own switch and the recessed lights on one switch.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I think the scones are more attractive than the overheads. They're certainly easier to change bulbs when they go out.

You painter won't be able to "patch" if you take the wall lights down. Once they're down, you'll likely have electrical boxes that will still remain. But you can install blank plates where the scones used to be. Not really very attractive.

Someone's been 'topping' your hedge. That's why there's only foliage at the top. You might considering pruning the hedge by 2/3s. If the hedge isn't really old, it should come back. It would be a nicer view to your porch.

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, that is a nice light fixture, and I think it would go well.

Sweet tea, can't do a hanging light, was hoping for flush mount or recessed. The two wall mounts are the same, but the one on the right had a wind chime hanging from it when I took the picture.

Beverly, and sweet tea, after looking at my fixtures I see they couldn't just be removed, so would it look odd to have (smaller) wall mounts AND ceiling lights, if they coordinate?

Beverly, those bushes might be as old as the house! When we trimmed back a yew in our old house, we ended up taking out 14 of 'em. Trimming these, would they really grow back? We're afraid we'd end up replacing (we probably should, anyway, but not quite ready for the $$)

Oh, and trust me, changing these lightbulb is a major chore. Fortunately they are long life and I haven't had to do it in 9 years.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, get the LED bulbs and they last for 22 years.