Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catmagnet_gw

Please help me decide (hutch for kitchen)

CatMagnet
12 years ago

Hello!

You all were so helpful when I was trying to arrange things in my china cabinet, I thought I'd ask for opinions on this hutch before I make the call/drive.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/fuo/2951115604.html

Can't beat the price and I really wanted something in my kitchen/dining area for display that didn't have glass. I may or may not paint it in the future but I would likely change out the hardware.

I have this sideboard in the kitchen currently:

Ignore the cart thing to the left, it's no longer there.

I would move the sideboard to another wall in the same room (so it would be nearby). I'm not overly concerned about the woods complementing each other; if they don't, I'm not opposed to painting it. I typically am not a fan of painted wood furniture, but this doesn't seem like a piece that is necessarily worth preserving.

I decorate with vintage pieces, probably 1930s to 1960s. And the ad says it's an antique, but I know it isn't. LOL

What say you? Workable with my sideboard? Horribly dated with no hope? Has potential?

Thanks for the opinions! :-)

Comments (9)

• CatMagnet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forget what I said about the sideboard in the same room. I think it would be too crowded and I would repurpose the sideboard as a TV stand.

And I just realized my comment about decorating ranging from the 30s to 60s probably sounds dopey but I do have mixtures of depression glass, Pyrex, jadeite, milk glass, Fiesta. (I do try to keep it from looking a jumbled mess though.) My main reason for considering this piece is for displaying the nicer pieces and perhaps downsizing a bit.

So my questions remain: Horribly dated with no hope? Has potential?

• User
    12 years ago

Definitely has potential. I really like that hutch, but I would have to paint it which would make the nicer qualities like the scalloping and wainscot backing really shine.

About 6 months ago I was on a seemingly endless search for a hutch. I saw lots of them similar to the one in your photo and was amazed at the difference between the ones that were painted and the ones that weren't. The unpainted ones just looked like older pieces of dated furniture, but the painted ones had character and charm. The price for that one is really good; my only concern would be that the top is not enclosed to protect your display from dust.

This is the one I ended up with. I knew the minute I saw it that we had to have it, I love the hardware and that it has only 1 door

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

This hutch looks very similar to mine, which is hard rock maple and of excellent quality, just dated. Mine was purchased over 40 years ago, and has been indestructible. I do plan to paint mine, to update it, have just had a hard time deciding upon paint color. I do not want white, since I have white wood cabinets and white wainscot on the walls. One member here painted hers in a beautiful gray and hers turned out beautifully. I think you should get it, and paint it in a color that would work with your kitchen.

They are great pieces because they offer so much additional storage, and do have good shelving for display purposes, too!

• User
    12 years ago

I like the shape. If it is useful to you, I'd paint it something fun.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I think the lines could work with your existing sideboard. I agree with kswl - I like the detailing at the top and would definitely paint.

It's a bit similar to my hutch - also a CL find. A LOT of work, but after painting and new hardware I love it.

Before and After:

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Judgirl2, do you have instructions on how you painted your hutch? You did such a wonderful job on it. Sorry to hijack!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

The price is too good to pass up. It would be a show stopper if painted.

Lucky and Judd, I've always admired your hutches!

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks Oak, Judd, I've always admired the job you did on your hutch too. What's the secret?