Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint type for bookcases + what kind of top for desk

Posted by angel9603 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 11:51

As I make my final decisions on our powder room (other thread), my husband has jumped into our office to finish the builtins. We will have floor to ceiling cabinets in an 'L' shape in our office. the one side will include the desk and drawer area with shelving on top. The other side will have base cabinets with book shelves on top. They will be finished off the top with crown molding. We have decided to paint the cabinets white. What is the best type of paint for this type of project? I was hoping to get the paint at sherwin williams today for their 40% off sale. In addition, we need to decide what kind of top should be for the desk. We want something durable as we have 2 small kids. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint type for bookcases + what kind of top for desk

After having built-in bookcases previously where books were ruined by sticking to the paint, we got a special kind at SW formulated so things won't stick. I can't remember the name of the formulation, and we don't have the can any more, but my advice is to keep asking at SW until you find someone who actually knows what you're talking about when you say you want paint for a bookcase. (The first person may know, but not always.) Ours are done in white.Good luck!

o

I'm sure someone at SW can help you. You probably want semi-gloss though. After our built-in's were painted, we were instructed by the painter not to use them for over a week so they could cure. He used SW paint.

o

But the wrong type of paint will still stick. We waited even longer than a week to put anything on our bookcases. Just so you know.

o

Minwax Polycrylic on top of the paint will keep books from sticking. Worked really well on my cookbook shelves. It's like polyurethane but without the yellowing problems.
If you use the satin finish it's pretty much invisible. All you see is the paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here