Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohmarti

Newbie to forum...help with draperies

OhMarti
10 years ago

(Posted on the sewing forum)

What have I gotten myself into?? We have recently moved into a very large house with tons of very large windows (many west facing) and not a trace of window treatments to be found. Our plans are for this home to one day be a bed and breakfast.
So as to not have to rob Fort Knox to get my windows covered (I hear there's no money in there anyway) , I've decided to make my own treatments. I'm starting with the master bedroom which has one west-facing French door window combo (100" wide) one west-facing large window (150 wide), and a third south-facing French door window combo (168" wide). My plan is to put center-opening, 106"-long, insulated draperies on each set.

So I set out with measurements in hand (I used an online fabric calculator) to the Fabricut outlet which is about 30 miles away. They had 47 yards of beautiful silk fabric (gold tone on tone stripe) that matched my colors beautifully for 5 dollars/yard. Not enough for my project so I kept looking and they had 17 yards of another fabric that perfectly compliments the first tone on tone for 6.99/yd. I needed a total of 60 yards for the project. I swallowed hard and wrote a check for my 60 yards of fabric AND liner, trim, thread, buckram (thinking to myself that custom drapes couldn't cost much more than THIS). My plan was to add a 24 inch finished length to the top of the tone on tone panels. To make a long story short(er), there simply wasn't enough fabric to do this and to not have a skimpy drape. I really needed about 30 yards of a complimenting fabric to have nice full panels. So after much running around in town, I found a fabric that will work (colorwise) and it was on sale so I got it. Now, here's where it gets a little dicey.

This 30 yards of fabric I bought is solid burgundy, kind of ruched or smocked fabric. The fabric has little flower like things that are stretchy. I will attach pics at the bottom. The ruched/smocked fabric will be at the top of the tone on tone fabric.
Now for my questions:
1. Do you think there is a risk that using the ruched/smocked fabric will make the drapes not hang straight? I plan to run my line of stitching through the smocked flowers to anchor it a little. Or maybe I need to add some kind of stabilizer here?
2. Can this type of fabric be lined successfully? I'm pretty sure it can but just need some reassurance.
3. I was originally going to do goblet pleats but now with this funky fabric, really have my doubts that it will work. Any ideas on this? Could buckram be used with this type of fabric?
4. Because these windows are so large, I really wanted the window treatments on traverse rods so they can more easily be opened and closed. I need ideas (if I'm not doing the goblet pleating) for how to do the top and how to hang them.
I appreciate any and all ideas!

Marti

Comments (8)

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the gold tone-on-tone that will be the main drapery fabric

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the fabric that I bought too little of that I may use as scarfs on the treatments. It was suggested on the sewing forum that I lay out the burgundy next to the tone-on-tone to help visualize. Will get these and post momentarily...

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the burgundy and stripe together as they might look if I manage to get this project done

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the three together...

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and a little closer up of the scarf over the burgundy.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Marti -

I'm hoping you get some responses, soon. If not, try and start a new post with one question (In the body of your post)......maybe "Do you have drapery with ruched/smocked fabric? Or, "Will ruched/smocked fabric work for my drapery idea? Then, show your pictures. Also, some pictures of the room where the drapery will be would be helpful to see.

Your pictures are great! I'm really glad you posted some together and from a distance, too. I like the burgundy & the gold together.
    I'm not sure that I would add a third fabric (gold flower/vine) to the drapery. First, do the panels. Then, you can temporarily swag the third fabric above and stand back and see.

There is a way to add more than one picture into your post at one time. You don't need to "reply". I don't know how to describe how to do it other than : After I copy & paste the HTML letters, etc
    for my first picture, I then press the ENTER key and the cursor moves down a space. Then, I am able to copy and paste a different/second picture into the same post. You can repeat this and post several pictures. Hope I described that ok.

Laurie

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I am sorry you have not received any responses. I do not care for the "ruched" look. I like the stripe fabric you have chosen as well as the scarf material. I just have never liked the other fabric since I saw it in a coffin when I was a child. It always reminds me of death. That is where this board comes in. One man's trash is another's treasure and rightly so. I don't particularly care for the choice of colors in combination.

I know I am not much help but now that I have voiced my opinion, I am hoping others will jump in and actually help you. I would LOVE to see a picture of the residence where this will be used. It might even change my mind.

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laurie, thanks again for your response. I think you are right that the scarf is too much. I may just have to make some decorator pillows or perhaps a duvet cover. Hmmmm....
    I got motivated and learned how to use flickr so that I could show all my pics including the room the windows are in (link below). Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Patricia, OUCH on the coffin fabric. ROFL. You know, if I EVER get this window treatment finished, I'm going to picture 'dead people' when I look them (and it will be YOUR fault!) But hey, if the construction of these things does me in, DH can save some money on the coffin liner. (And to think I was afraid they would look too prom dressy!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Master bedroom windows

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio