Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yayagal_gw

Yummy cauliflower recipe, so delish!

yayagal
11 years ago

Hi!

I wanted to share with you this amazing recipe I found on PANNA, the video cooking magazine.

Caramelized Cauliflower with Hazelnuts, Parmesan and Sage
by Anita Lo

1 Head - Cauliflower
3 T. - Unsalted Butter
1 T. - Sugar
1/2 tsp. - Lemon Juice, or more to taste
Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
3 Leaves, sliced - Sage
1 T. - Salted and Roasted Hazelnuts, roughly chopped
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese

STEP 1
Remove the green outer leaves and cut the cauliflower into 1/2-inch (1.25cm) thick slices to create cross sections. Remove any parts of the fibrous core of the cauliflower that remains.

STEP 2
Transfer the slices to a large, straight-sided skillet and cover with cold water halfway up the sides of the cauliflower, about 1/4-inch (6mm) deep. Add the butter, sugar, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat until the water evaporates and the cauliflower is golden brown on one side, 10 to 12 minutes. After the cauliflower begins to caramelize, reduce the heat to low.

STEP 3
Pick and slice the sage leaves.

Once the cauliflower is deeply browned and the sugar has caramelized, rotate the slices to promote even browning. After a few moments, flip the cauliflower to cook the other side, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with sage, hazelnuts and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Comments (11)

• yayagal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, meant to post it in the Kitchen forum. How do I delete this please?

• Vertise
    11 years ago

This sounds delish! How about leaving it here and pasting another one over there? I've never heard of that magazine. Sounds like fun. Guess we really do need computers in the kitchen now, lol. I hate having to run upstairs to look stuff up.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I have no idea, but thanks for the recipe! Sounds delicious.

• yayagal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's beyond delicious, I could have the entire cauliflower for a meal. I was just diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease so I have to drastically change my diet. Yesterday was day one, today I went out to buy a blender and the ingredients for a fruit smoothie every morning and all the other low or no salt staples.

• anitamo
    11 years ago

Oh, so sorry about your poor kidneys. The recipe sounds so good!

• nutsaboutplants
    11 years ago

Yaya, sounds wonderful. May I take the liberty of suggesting an alternative that dispenses entirely with the butter and sugar and caramelizes like heaven without butter or sugar? Stick the cauliflower on a roasting pan on high heat, like 450 in the oven with either olive oil or cooking spray, for 15-20minutes and another 10 minutes or so on broil at the same temperature. Some onions to add sweetness to the caramelizing process. And take it out, sprinkle seasoning borrowed from any cuisine that catches your fancy, spray again, and stick it back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so on broil. Pure heaven! I've had friends, Southern belles, who would never dream of anything like loud sneezing, who are reduced to licking their plates. I hope you don't mind sharing my recipe.

• yayagal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nutsaboutplants, I'm thrilled you gave me that recipe. I'm going to do it tomorrow. Thank you so much.

• nutsaboutplants
    11 years ago

Yaya, just tried your recipe. It was just wonderful! Thanks for sharing. (Btw, I didn't specify in my recipe that the cauliflower should be cut into roughly the same size as in yours. Also, as you know some ovens may take longer.)

• yayagal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your recipe is cooking now. Smells great. I have a roasted chicken too. Looking forward to eating haha.

• livvyandbella
    11 years ago

That sounds delicious! I will try today. What are you putting in your fruit smoothie?

• yayagal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was scrumptious!!!! Here's the smoothie recipe
    10 strawberries
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    3 tablespoons of sugar or you can use sugar substitute. I use the sugar
    6 ice cubes.
    Makes two large serviings