Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Colors to go with 'Otter' sofa

cplover
12 years ago

I found this sofa from West elm and think it will be great for my space. I saw it in person and really liked the "otter" colored performance velvet.

The saleswoman said the performance velvet really held up to kids and wear and tear. Good because we have two black cats that shed and are expecting our baby boy at the end of May!

I have not ordered the sofa yet, because I am on the hunt for two chairs (not necessarily matching) that coordinate with the sofa. Any suggestions on colors? I really love the otter color just not sure where to go with coordinating other elements. The whole living/family room will be new. No other elements have been chosen (rugs, end tables, etc.)

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Otter fabric closeup

Comments (21)

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

The sofa looks like a dark taupe, so I googled several color combinations with taupe.

Here's yellow and taupe:

Here's teal and taupe:

Any of the colors in this pillow would look fabulous:

• amykath
    12 years ago

Here is that last pillow for a visual.

Btw I love your sofa!!!!

{{!gwi}}

• amykath
    12 years ago

this is one of my fave rooms.

{{!gwi}}

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Nice mock up aktillery. Isn't that pillow fabulous? I found it on Etsy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillow on Etsy

• amykath
    12 years ago

Yes terriks! Its gorgeous! I love etsy!!

Amy

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow!! I thought I liked the yellow and taupe until I saw that teal and then those two pillows! Those are gorgeous! LOVE THEM! Although I wish I could get them in chairs instead of pillows!! But then again, I could pull colors from the pillows for the two chairs, ie sage or light blue. Wow! Ya'll have really got me thinking now!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Two yellow chairs plus pillows that bring the colors together would look fabulous. Same with the teal.

You might want to find some accent fabric that you can have pillow made from and then choose a color from it for the chairs.

• lauriedeee
    12 years ago

I just bought 'otter' colored curtains at JCP.com. I love that color.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

That's a great sofa! I looked up and apparenlty West Elm sells the performance velvet by the yard.

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

Newbie - I like the sofa and the fabric you've chosen - both excellent choices for the "small children and pets" life that you're about to have! Am glad that you linked to the fabric - I didn't know that West Elm sold fabric. We just ordered one of their upholstered headboards in steel blue velvet, and it will be nice to have extra fabric for the room.

IMO teal would be lovely with your sofa. Teal with some rusty red and cream, also yellow or pale green. Almost any color, actually. Otter is easy!

• bronwynsmom
    12 years ago

I love the liveliness of the pillow Terriks suggested next to last, with the little bit of red. It also has plenty of white space, which is also what makes that lovely room Aktillery posted work so well with the deep-toned sofa.
    A nice teal is a pretty idea, and I'd suggest you keep it light and luminous - a shade that reflects rather than absorbs light. Those rich colors can go from cozy to dingy if they aren't balanced in that way, in my view.
    And light shades of teal look good with zippy clear yellows, too, although I'm of the opinion that a little yellow goes a long way when it's bright.

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am fan of neutrals, especially on big pieces like sofas and armchairs. I am hesitant to buy a teal or yellow colored arm chair. I like the colors and the prints of the two print pillows. Any other suggestions for chairs? I would not mind doing leather but am afraid of it because of the cats rear claws. Any suggestions?

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am fan of neutrals, especially on big pieces like sofas and armchairs. I am hesitant to buy a teal or yellow colored arm chair. I like the colors and the prints of the two print pillows. Any other suggestions for chairs? I would not mind doing leather but am afraid of it because of the cats rear claws. Any suggestions?

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

We have lots of leather furniture, and cats. Only an occasional problem, such as when one of the dogs hassles a cat.
    Dee

• amykath
    12 years ago

Here is a gorgeous sage chair. It is a great neutral even though it is a color

{{!gwi}}

This one would also go well. Guess it all depends on your taste and style.

{{!gwi}}

Both I found on overstock

Here is a link that might be useful: sage chair

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

You could always go with a cream color. If the fabric were stain resistant and durable it should be fine. Or a cream colored leather.

I also like the color of the first chair that atkillery posted. Even though it is a color it reads as a neutral.

• cplover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the overstock chairs, although I would need to sit in the chair before ordering it. A lot of chairs looks comfy that are not and since the two chairs I need for room are the only living area we have, comfort counts!

Also I contacted west elm today. They said 10-12 weeks from the time I order the sofa to get it in. :( I was hoping to have this living room done before baby came (in 5 weeks). Not sure if I should try to find a different sofa or just bite the bullet and order it. Grrhh...

• gretacosette
    3 years ago

I’ve been trying to decide on otter or dove gray for my west elm sectional . I otter can look gray or brownish. In your opinion , do you think it’s more brownish or gray? The sales person gave me samples of gray fabrics in performance velvet & included otter. On their website it shows up in the brown tones when you filter for colors! Just curious! At home it changes tone from time of day of what it’s sitting near!

• gretacosette
    3 years ago

Ps: I really like west elms lagoon and peacock teal fabrics fir accent chairs.

• gretacosette
    3 years ago

Pss: just noted this is dated 2012! How’s the baby... whose 9 now? How did sofa hold up. Can’t believe I didn’t see this was 9 years ago 😂