Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Color!

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

We visited with some neighbors the other night - we'd been in their apartment before but only briefly. Our neighbor and her daughter are both very artistic, and have great decorating sense. And oooh, the color. My apartment looks so darn boring now (wood and greige, wood and greige, we need color!!). Can't wait til my new sofa and chair (taupe, both) arrive so we can add some.

Comments (7)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Can you pick your neighbor's brain about what colors would work in your apt since you like her style?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, the funny thing is I would never decorate in her style -- but I love the way her apartment looks so, well, finished and colorful. Even my DH noticed - "yeah, I get it, it looks "done"." (She'd be more than happy to help me with mine.)

• selcier
    10 years ago

You should post some pictures ;)

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Color?! I spent 8 months trying to find ONE example of navy blue polished porcelain floor tile so I could do a checkerboard floor in a kitchen. I finally found one at a regional stone/tile place that has a certain line of Italian tile. Not perfect, but close enough to look good. (has to be special ordered--6 to 9 weeks.) Every show room, large, small, rich, poor, has a million kinds of beige. Color is gone like the dodo bird.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We'll, we have to replace (we have a store credit) the sisal-like rug we had under our DR table - I'm thinking orange!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think going for color is great, but do it thoughtfully...if you don't have a good innate sense of color or a lot of experience like your neighbor has, you may be disappointed with the results.

Try using a "professional" to guide you....by that I mean, a professional artist who has painted art work you like from which you can pull a color scheme (say Monet helped select your colors)...or fabric that you like...or even a dish or a room from houzz or a magazine. If you have a direction and inspiration first, it will make your selections a lot easier and you may be happier with the results.

• User
    10 years ago

I love color! Every room in our house sings with it. I can see how it would tire some people out but for me it is invigorating. Our current remodeling project in the basement started out in concept to be a very quiet, soothing space. It has morphed into another color riot, complete with a green wool gingham carpet and a red, orange and green paisley print paired with a sedate tartan. I can't wait for the installation! The walls are beige, though, the first "non color" walls in my entire house. Elsewhere we have green, red, gold, yellow and wallpapered walls.

Bringing touches of strong color into a beige background will be very effective and I hope you LOVE the results!