Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Should I cover my new hardwoods with a rug?

msrose
10 years ago

I'm not sure I'm ready to cover up my new hardwoods yet, but I'm wondering if it's something I should start thinking about. What do you think? Would my house look better with a rug in the seating area?

If I get a rug, should I get something more neutral?

#1 Terrace at Home Decorators

#2 Mallorca at Home Decorators

#3 Checkered Field at Home Decorators

#4 Checkered Field w/green trim

Or, should I go with something green?

#5 Sadlestick at Home Decorators

#6 Bermuda in Sage at Ballards

#7 Allover Trellis at Ballards

Some of these are outdoor rugs. Is it okay to use an outdoor rug indoors?

Comments (61)

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Msrose, Where did you get your curtains in your living room as they really make the room cozy. Due to Lexi's marking, I was unable to have anything but blinds on windows. I would do anything to have her back but since I can't have her come back to me as she is at the Rainbow Bridge, I will make my home more cozy with some area rugs and curtains/drapes.

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Better say yes, since I have them over wood. Some are from the Carpet Remnant store, cut to size, with the edges bound. Reduce the picture of the rug, and paste it into a picture of the room to play with looks.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Msrose, your floors are beautiful but an area rug will add so much warmth. I do think you need to add a bit more color. How about something that is mostly green with a touch of burnt orange? Your home is so lovely and your furbabies are adorable.

Lynn, so sorry to hear about your sweet pupster. My best friend has a Havanese who also was born with a hole in her heart and not expected to make it to 2 years old. She and my pupster Murphy (her littermate) turned five in September.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i love your floors!!

i would get an indoor rug (much nicer underfoot) and would probably get one that had some color-- green in it would look nice... i would get one/some from a local store to try and return if i didn't like... i personally need to see a rug in place before i can decide if i like it or not!! i wouldn't order on line unless there was a store i could return it to...

if i really had a problem with dogs marking i wouldn't get a rug, but i think you would know if that is a problem with your dogs! pee and rugs/carpet don't mix well!!
    or, if it is problem behavior only when you're not home, baby gates that keep them in the kitchen perhaps and limit their access to the whole house work well!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

two rugs, color similar to the hardwood. One rug to define the dining area and another to define your conversation area. There is a lot of color and texture in the flooring itself so get a rug with color similar to the floor and allow it to make the wood more outstanding in its appearance. Sometimes a little is all you need to make an area really "shine". Rugs will do that to your wood floors.

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

Personally, I'd love to see some color along with that green.These might be too much for you, or not exactly the right colors, but I'd definitely give Overstock a look as well. You have soo many choices that way.I would also like something more plush than one of the indoor/outdoor type rugs.

I had trouble too initially covering my hardwoods, but the rugs do add a lot to the rooms.

Food for thought on a rainy (yea rain!) Sunday afternoon.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Beautiful floors!

A rug would actually make them look better.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn - My mother is a maltese person also. She's always wanted a tiny one, but both of hers ended up being closer to 10 lbs. She lost hers a couple of months ago. She is 71 years old and this is the first time in her life she's hasn't had a dog. This is the first time I've ever had two dogs that cuddle with each other. I love it! I got my curtains at Bed, Bath, and Beyond about 3 1/2 years ago.

holly-kay - Thank you!

busybee - Thanks! I have had to start locking my dogs up when I leave. My French Bulldog is the one that marks, but it's like she'll do it out of the blue for no reason.

patricia - I originally wanted neutral colored rugs and then decided maybe I should add some color. I'm still torn about which way to go.

lucas_tx - I looked at Overstock once, but I need to go back and look again. You must be near me. We've had rain on and off all day.

Tibbrix - Thank you!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

msrose, what state are you in?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think something like this would be perfect for those floors, very rustic.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix - I'm in Texas. Are you having a rainy day also?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

No, we had a beautiful, sunny day today. I think your rain is hitting us tomorrow night.

I was hoping you were in Mass., because there is a great rug place here. Gorgeous rugs at great prices.

Butâ¦you're not.

Texas must have places like that, though.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay,

Thank you for caring. I found out about Lexi's heart problems when she was a tiny little puppy before I wanted to spay her. One of the holes was 1/3rd the size of her heart and the other was large also. She lived her whole life with 50% oxygen and compensated by not doing exercise or taking walks until she was age 5. Then I had to take her to a Cardiologist that compounded a special medicine for my precious beloved Lexi who I adored and she lived 3.5 more years. I miss her so much. I also miss my Panda and my Skeeter. I am hurting still as my only Furchild left, Sassy is in congestive heart failure and now on three medicines with each day being a gift. Since Lexi was so tiny, her marking was just tiny squirts of pee. I dislked it but I put up with it as I loved her so much. She adored me.

But now that she is not here after my tax season, I want some curtains and rugs to warm up my home. I even put some area rugs down in my home office since Sassy never marks and never makes potty mistakes despite how sick she is. I am going to get Sassy a friend when my tax season ends. I miss my little Furry family so much. So glad your friend's Havanese is still living despite the prediction of death so early. Hopefully, your friend will enjoy many more years with her furchild.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

MsRose, Thank you for letting me know where you bought your curtains. I have several Bed Bath & Beyond stores near me so I will look after my tax season.

It took me 4 dogs to get a little dog but I wished for little and healthy and not little and unhealthy. But now that the others are gone, I miss having more than one dog as I miss watching my doggies cuddle and love one another. I think 2 dogs is best. I am going to get Sassy a friend after tax season and hope she is with me longer as she is now in congestive heart failure but is also so lonely.

You have a beautiful home and your two doggies are so cute.

• justsaying
    10 years ago

My go to place is Home Goods - have found 3 rugs there in the last year. Amazingly, they have a pretty good selection of styles and sizes (at least the one near me). Also, can return them if they are not right, although that gets old real fast! Once I ordered a very large rug from Overstock and the colors were not anything close to what it looked like on line - cost me $100 to ship back. Ugh. I've also purchased 2 Pottery Barn wool rugs 10 years ago and they are still going strong to this day. Wool wears like iron but not so good with doggy accidents. PB has some beautiful rugs.
    Lynn - you made me tear up reading about your little doggies, so sad when they pass on. You are a kind person.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Home Depot, shmoe peepoe. Those rugs are too tame for me. So....since I'm spending your money...... ;-) (By the way, your floor is awesome.)

And, if you insist on contemporary.....

Going wild at the Karastan site...

Here is a link that might be useful: Karastan rug search

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 22:12

• downsouth
    10 years ago

The rug my son has would look great in your room! He got it at Home Depot. It's beautiful and just pulled his room together. It was the finishing touch his room needed! I'll try to find a picture and post it for you.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

DreamingoftheUP's, I love rug #2!

Justsaying, thank you for your kind words. I miss my little furkidz so much. They just do not live long enough. My Sassy is still with me and every day is a gift that she lives.

• mdln
    10 years ago

Love, love your floors!!!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Ms. Rose, your babies are so cute, so be sure you get rugs that will not irritate their skin. I worry about some of the dyes from over the waters that could have allergens. Also, I have been told they spray them with all kind of toxins to prevent "bugs" en route. My old rugs came from the Middle East years ago so I guess they are all worn out of toxins and bugs and the ones I bought most recently are sisal and jute which I placed under the DR and breakfast room tables.

• elizabeth1234
    10 years ago

Yea rug will add more attraction to your seating area. I think you should go for it.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Oh your floors are incredibly gorgeous! I also agree abut two rugs-one for each seperate area. I like #2 for your dining area and #4 for the sofa area. Seeing as how you're a neutral kind of gal, I'd go with the simpler for the seating area, but with just a hint of color. You can add more pattern with your accessories.

The dining area calls for more pattern in the rug-if you choose to add a rug-but I would.

Such a beautiful area. And love your doggies-I have ginormous fools-2 large labs and a 45lb puff ball of American Eskimo/Border collie insanity.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Love your floors!!! I would agree to get a rug to ground the space and add warmth. I like Dreming's option #2 a lot!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

OT:

Lynn, I'm a dog sitter. My favorite two-dog combo was my client who had a Yorkie and a yellow lab. Unfortunately, Tali, the lab, died a couple of months ago.

The the combo of the really small dog with the big dog was SO cute. it use to make me laugh watching them run alongside each other outside and such. It's the only time, in fact, I've seen that combo. Most people get either two small or two big.

Sorry for the hijack.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

Target also has a cute 7 X10 rug that would look great under you living room space and you can probably see at your local store.

You might not need one for the dining space.

http://www.target.com/p/maples-fretwork-area-rug/-/A-14318370?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=14246630&CPNG=Home+Decor&kpid=14246630&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14246630&gclid=CMPm0pTSzr0CFRFp7AodGRkA_g

• User
    10 years ago

I would definately add a rug. You have mostly neutrals and solid colors, I think a colourful patterned area rug would look great!

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lynn - Be sure and post pictures when you get Sassy a friend! I would be lost without my dogs.

DreamingoftheUP - LOL. Glad you enjoyed spending my money! My son thinks I should go with something like #2 or #4 that you posted. That's exactly what I have in mind for my bedroom, but I don't know about the family room. Sometimes what I like and what goes are not the same thing :) #2 is actually perfect for my bedroom. Do you remember where it's from?

mdln - Thank you!

patricia - They won't be on them long enough to irritate their skin. My French Bulldog doesn't believe in laying on the floor :) My pug can't walk, so I keep her in her special bed.

pesky - Thanks! So, the rugs should be two different coordinating rugs instead of identical or would it look good either way?

aktillery - Thank you!

Tibbrix - My mom is a dog sitter also. She started out going to homes, but now she keeps them in her own home.

rtwilliams - I would have never thought of Target. I am drawn to that pattern though. I read the other post going on about rug sizes, but I'm still not sure what I need. Is 7 x 10 a typical size? I know some people like all of the furniture on the rug, but I think I'm okay with just the front legs or maybe just the coffee table on it.

roseabbey - Thanks!

Okay, so I need to look at HomeGoods and Target. I've already looked at HD and Lowes. Any others? We have a Garden Ridge, which I haven't been to in ages, but I think they used to have rugs.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, I have a large border collie (female, 75 pounds). My neighbor has a small male yorkie, probably too small to weigh (LOL). When the weather starts warming up, we let them go outside with us while we are working. He becomes quite the amorous one. Her little yorkie gets so excited and will slither under the fence and start humping my huge border collie. I think that is very cute and the height of ambition on his little part. However, border collie gets agitated (both are neutrals) and she will start snapping at him, but he persists until the owner has to take him inside.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Myself, personally I'd go with two different rugs. That would give an impression of two distinct spaces. But definitely coordinate them by color & pattern, so as not to overwhelm the space.

I tell ya, the more I look at those floors, the more envious I get! Our hardwood floors need to be refinished some day (thinking when we're down to just one dog) and I love the rustic finish on yours. Ours have just enough pattern in them that if we did a clear or slightly tinted poly, we could get a great finish like yours. Of course, you've got wide planks-I think that is what I love the most about them.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Those are all Karastan rugs. Filter on the Karastan web site for brown/beige, rectangular. See link below. I just picked a few random ones from that filter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karastan rug search

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

And all my dog does is bark at the neighbor's dog on the other side of the fence! Lol

As for 2 different rugs, that's what I've done in the foyer, right off the DR. Colors are the same, but different pattern, although the foyer one is a simple diamond pattern. As long as the two don't fight for attention I think it's ok.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Pesky. I said I would never get floors this dark, so I sometimes question if I made the right choice. I don't know if you can tell, but I have wide planks and skinny planks That was one of the many things I liked about them.

• mdln
    10 years ago

Agree, absolutely LOVE the combination of arrow & wide planks.

Wish I'd seen your floor before I selected mine.... maybe it's not too late... my GC loves when I change things (not) :-)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

It's a beautiful floor.

I wouldn't go with the indoor-outdoor rugs you've got at the top, though. I think they're too cold and hard for that room.

However, a natural fiber rug, like jute or sisal, etc., would look great.

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

Definitely a rug as they help to ground the seating area. I think either of the Ballard rugs would look great but maybe in a punchier color as others have suggested.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix - That's what I originally wanted, but my sofa has a tweed look to it, so I didn't know if a sisal rug would be too near the same texture. I like how that one has a design in it.
    Is that your rug or just a picture you found?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Don't worry about the tweed of the sofa and the rug. Not an issue.

Link to the rug.

Trying to find a site I found a while ago that sells amazing natural fiber rugs with gorgeous designs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenya Sisal rug

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Found it!

Check out this site's sisal rugs. In particular, check out these, which also all come in different colors:

Cirque (Page 6) I LOVE this one.

Pathway (page 6)

Zodiac (page 5)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sisal rugs

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 20:21

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is more than I want to pay, but what do you think of the style and neutral tones of it if I could find something similar for a better price?

Dylan at Ballards

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Stunning! You know what is off kilter in your room is the coffee table. It's so red compared to the other woods in there.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix - It may not be clear in the picture, but the wood on all my furniture and my kitchen cabinets have a red undertone.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, good. Looks so diff in the pic. Besides, as long as you're happy with it...

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Kind-of similar to the Ballards..
    With coupons and such the 5'3 x 7'7 is $93.00 free shipping.
    No it's not wool....But do you really want wool with the pups ?
    I don't know anything about poly rugs.
    I was only going by looks ...

Here is a link that might be useful: RugsUsa

• User
    10 years ago

I really like the last one you posted and think that or something similar like what Forboys posted would coordinate well. Your rooms looks great!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I remember when you got those new sofas and how much I loved them. Now, with your beautiful wood flooring, everything is looking super! I feel a rug would go nicely, there.

You have already received lots of good advice & suggestions from other posters. I'll throw in another option for you to consider.

For my home, I've used washable Latex backed rugs from JCPenney. I know many people will cringe at the mention of Latex backing in contact with wood floors.
    I've heard that some factory pre-finished floors will be fine with these (Latex backed) types of rugs. I'm keeping a close eye as the months go by and so far (it's been 1 year), all is good. My floors are engineered wood by Lauzon.

These rugs are not as plush as other more expensive rugs, but they are fine for me. I have not had the need to wash them, yet. When I do, I'll try the smaller one (5'x8' family room) first and see how it goes. I'll use a commercial front load "mega capacity" washer & then hang to dry. The 8 x 10 living room may just need to be washed by hand/hose in the backyard one sunny day.

If you have a JC Penney near by, rugs can be returned if you don't like them. Also, don't pay full price! JCP always has sales.
    My 5 x 8 Double Border rug was $170, the 8x10 Majestic Scroll was $220 (including tax & free ship).
    The fibers are Nylon and they are made in the U.S.A.
    These rugs are not absorbing dirt hardly at all. My Olefin fiber rug in the entry (ordered from an online rug store) became dirty looking after only 3 months : ( I also do not like the feel of the Olefin rug.

Pictured below is the 8 x 10 JCPenney Majestic Scroll rug (color: Sand) in my living room. I don't have a coffee table or ottoman, yet. This open space is where grand baby practices rolling over & his toddler cousin builds Lego creations : )

Here is a link that might be useful: JCPenney Rugs

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

forboystoo - I've been going on looks also. I've never bought an area rug, so I didn't think about what it was made of. I like the rug and the price.

Thank,shee!

laurie - Does JCP have rugs in the store or did you order yours? I don't remember seeing rugs there, but then again,I wasn't looking. I'm okay with it not being plush. I'm getting it for looks more than anything.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Many great rug choices. When I first saw the furniture and floor, I pictured a cream shag rug to brighten up the various dark colors and pull out the cream from the pillows. Shag is certainly not for everyone, but it struck me as an interesting balance for what's there now to be a little eclectic.

Having said that, I do love the Dylan above. And Laurie's Sand scroll too.

found these too at RugStudio.com

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Yes, I ordered my rugs online. Currently, there's free shipping if over $99. Or, free shipping to stores over $25.

I think JCP had some rugs in their store back when I was searching, but not nearly the variety as their online site has.

The closest JCP to me is a 15 - 20 minute drive. When ordering online, I figured that if I was not happy after receiving them, I could have easily returned them.

How close are you to a JCPenney?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Lauire, I love this rug and I am about 20 minutes form a JCPenney so I will see what they have online after my tax season ends.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went rug shopping for the first time, but didn't have much luck. I went to HomeGoods, Pier I, and Lowes. We have a JCP, but it was the other direction, so I'll check there the next time.

Home Goods had really big rugs and smaller rugs, but nothing in between. This is the same style I liked originally, but not in the right size.

{{!gwi}}

It's hard to tell in the picture, but there is green in this rug. I'm not sure if it's that obvious from a distance though.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}