Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbmas0n

Blue Dining Room?

kbmas0n
16 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of their blue dining room they would like to share? Specifically the lighter colors. We are looking at either RH Atmosphere Blue, SW Hinting Blue or, or, or...

We have very dark, cherry dining room furniture, including a china cabinet, table and paino.

*I would post pictures, but it's a new construction home and my dining room table is at my grandmother-IL, my china cabinet is at my MILs, and my piano is at my dad's house.

Good times.

Comments (17)

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

You might check out a post recently by kimbo, although it may be a little darker than you're looking for--link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kimbo's dr with molding added

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is one beautiful room! It might be a smidgeon too green though.

Thank you!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Saw this yesterday on RMS. Gawgeous!!! I'll save you the trouble of looking for what color paint it is. It is RL Brittany Blue. (I wrote it down!) Apparently swatches are hard to find, but it can still be made. Check HD's computer. They sell RL paints!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue DR

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Here are 2 from Rate My Space that I like.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Basically, I don't get why anyone would want a blue dining room. The color is cool, so not conducive to conversation. It's not considered an appetizing color either. Maybe it would save you money on food, though?

• jjam
    16 years ago

I went through my "I want a Blue Dining Room" phase earlier this year. Many on this forum may remember it! I would be very careful of a light, cool, blue. We loved the color we originally chose, BM Quiet Moments, but knew immediately after it went up that we didn't want that cool feeling in the DR, and ended up re-painting it. To me, a Dining Room should have a warm, welcoming feeling, where people want to come together. An icy blue will have the opposite effect. The Darker Blue looks nice, and I would go in that direction if you like blue. Good Luck.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I'm glad you said that, Jjam. I think the second picture Mona posted could work because there is a lot of yellow in the blue and a lot of yellow in the cream, warming it up. But there is a good reason why so many dining rooms are done in the red tones. They make people laugh, gab and share, and eat with gusto. Just like there's a reason so many folks paint their bedrooms blue... zzzzzzz.

• nicole93089
    16 years ago

Oh man, I've been searching for the perfect blue for my dining room for a few weeks now too. I think there are plenty of them that would work for a dining room. Check out the Valspar paints at Lowes. The Ralph Lauren has some nice ones, as well as the Martha Stewart. Benjamin Moore's Wythe Blue is gorgeous, as well as the Williamsburg (I think that's it) by BM. I got lots of other great suggestions here when I posted, but I'm looking for a little darker than yours, I think.

And Oceana, It never ocurred to me that blue isn't a good color for a dining room. I decided I wanted blue because I want a bold color, am tired of the red that everyone in my neighborhood has in their dining room, don't want a brown because it doesn't make me feel happy when I look at it, and have a deep golden yellow living room so that color is taken. My halls are sandy white (BM) and the hall powder room is BM Dill Pickle. I think a medium purpley blue could look great and warm and different. Something that reminds me of a French blue, if that makes sense. I'd be open to other colors that I haven't thought of, I'm just at a loss. So please give me your suggestions too! Thanks! and sorry to hijack your thread, kbmas0n!

• skymom
    16 years ago

I just painted my Living Room and Dining Room Blue. I used Benjamin Moore Affinity Colors Serenata for the LR and Lucerne for the DR.

I originally planned a Red Affinity color for the DR. After the painter painted a patch on the wall, I was like NO WAY. I have a red painted table right in the hallway next to the DR, it's one of my favorite pieces in the house. I love red, but I could not take it in the DR. The Painter said I would get used to it, and that he puts the color in DRs all the time. I wasted buying a gallon of expensive Aura paint, but it was worth it because I am much happier with the Blue. The LR and DR are next to each other, and I think it looks great. Of course, I love Blue!

Besides, just because everyone else has a red dining room, it doesn't mean I have to!

I also seriously considered a light green and chocolate. What a mistake those would have been.

Go with what you like :)

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

kb
    I tend to agree about blue not being a good color in DR - Do a search for blue DRs - to me there are very few that are appealing from what I would like to achieve in DR - add to eating, conversation - etc...
    then again sky has pointed out "what you like"

Here is a link that might be useful: blue DR hgtv rate my space

• no_green_thumb
    16 years ago

I painted my dining room blue - yikes, I just looked - 5 years ago - and I love it. It is my favorite color. It is more like the blue in the second picture posted above, more of a greenish blue. I have an oil painting I was beginning to dislike and this color toned down the yellow/orange in the painting and brought out the blue sky.
    No one has ever had a problem eating in there - or conversing :):) It is BM AC-16 Kentucky Haze. I also used the next one down, AC-17 Sea Pine for my first floor powder room. I love the colors!!

• pattiem93
    16 years ago

Mine-SW Rhythmic Blue. Sorry for the bad pic. My flash isn't working properly

during construction-

• User
    16 years ago

Ours has been Real Navy for 6 years. I love it and we use the room every night. It has 12 ft ceilings and wide crown with 2 6ftx3ft windows overlooking the pool and terrace. Also a fireplace. My waist is proof that it doesn't suppress the appetite :) LOL.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

Not sure if this would be what you're looking for, but I just painted one of my bathrooms in BM Wedgewood Gray. I love the color, very calm & soothing, definitely blue, but not too gray either.

Hope this helps!

• deco_clueless
    16 years ago

That's funny. I was reading this thread while my DH was downstairs painting the DR light blue. It looks great. But I love blue.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Blue is actually supposed to stimulate conversation, making it a good color for living and dining room spaces -- places you want to linger over a cup of coffee with close friends. I'm partial to darker blues in those spaces than the light, cool blues which feel more bedroomy to me. But then, I love blue and have to be careful not to wind up with the smurf house -- so take my color opinions with a grain of salt, that's for sure. :-)