Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ac00_gw

open floor plan paint color

ac00
13 years ago

I have a home with an open floor plan. You enter into a 2 story foyer to the left is the formal dining room and to the right is the formal living room. These are separate rooms but still visible from the foyer. The dining room has mahogany furniture with red & gold drapes. The family room is also 2 story and the living room is definitely visible from the family room. The kitchen is adjacent to the family room and is divided by a half wall with a pillar. The kitchen has dark cherry cabinets, stainless steel appliances. The family room has dark brown leather furniture while the formal living room has light blue and ivory furniture (this may change in the future but I will probably pick something neutral). Both the family room and kitchen are huge. The family room is visible from the hallway on the second floor. I hope this explains the floor plan. I am looking to paint the foyer, the hallway, the family room and the kitchen, the living room and dining room and I need help with paint colors. One of the paint colors I really liked was Sherwin Williams Harmonic tan. I am totally confused due to the open floor plan. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you

Comments (5)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Unless you want to be wedded to tan tones for long, I'd try a more neutral pewter type color. Tan is currently very "in" so a backlash is coming. I'd try to keep it something that can work with either cool or warm colors so it can unify your other rooms. The blue and ivory would seem to do better with a non-tan shade. The stainless steel is also a cool toned element.

If you really love the tan color, then save it for pillows or even wts as they are easier to swap out later.

• pps7
    13 years ago

Do you want to paint the entire space the same color? You can do as many or as few colors as your like as long as they flow. I've posted a link to Maria Kilam's blog where she talks about flow.

Here is a link that might be useful: MK color flow

• doonie
    13 years ago

ac00, We have a similar situation. I just changed out the tan in our foyer to EK Celery, which is a watery pale green. The hallway and dining room are BM Peanut Shell, which looks like caramel. Our Great Room, 2 story is a red, then the kitchen, which can be seen through the open doorways, is Windham Cream. It takes a fair amount of thinking and painting samples on poster board to come up with colors that work and that you are happy with. I tend to like the warmer colors in our living areas and then cooler in the bedrooms.

• Kristi
    13 years ago

We had the same issue, as well, when we moved into our new home 6 months ago. I felt pretty overwhelmed by it and although I got so much good advice and help here when I posted a question about it, I just could not visualize the finished product alone.

I ended up hiring a Benjamin Moore color consultant to come to my home to meet with me for an hour....she ended up staying an hour and 20 min and it cost $112...money WELL spent because I really did not know about undertones and which white to use for trim (who knew there were SO many?!) and flow and where to start/stop a color in such an open space, etc

We used one color for our 2 story foyer, the stairway/catwalk area which opens to the back of the house, and the 2 story great room or family room, whatever...we elected to do this because visually when you walk in to the house from the foyer, you can see the stair/catwalk and over into the family room...I am happy with how that turned out.

Our kitchen/morning room is adjacent to family room too, and we painted those one color...

Our dining and living rooms are in the front of the house on either side of the foyer and they are each painted their own color

So we used 4 colors in the big open space but they are complimentary and they flow well from one area to the other...Truthfully, I am still a little bit on the fence about the kitchen/morning room color. Great color although I NEVER would have chosen it myself, works very very well with the finishes in the kitchen, LOVE it in the kitchen itself, but not sure about it in the morning room....maybe too dark, not sure. But its paint and I can change it down the line if I want to.

The biggest thing I learned is that really there are no hard and fast rules. Yes, there are things to consider, lots of things. But if YOU like the color then go for it.

• chickadee2_gw
    13 years ago

My local SW paint store has a color consultant who will come out for a fee also. If I remember correctly, the salesman in the paint store told me the fee could be applied to any paint I bought in the store. Since you're doing a few rooms, I think bringing in a color consultant or a decorator for an hour's consultation is a good idea. Call around. Maybe some of your local paint stores have this service.