Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amarchant_gw

Curb appeal

amarchant
10 years ago

Hi!
I know this forum is more dedicated to interior issues, but I have heard that you people are really talented when it comes to ideas for the exterior ascetics of houses as well. We are currently considering buying this house to remodel, and while the inside has lots of promise, the exterior is leaving me baffled.
We want to paint the brick, but with the light roof should we go with something like a darker gray and lighter gray shutters?
And the biggest issue, those two windows to the far left. They are obviously an awkward space apart, and I don't think there is the option to build out another window in-between. Ideas on what to do with that space?
THANKS!

Comments (13)

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I think I would try to bring attention away from the windows by ditching the shutters and or adding a pergal ( I,m not sure if thats the word I am looking for) over the garage and a nice outdoor light fixture . Landscaping the grassy area between the sidewalk and driveway would also go a long way to draw attention away from those windows.

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

Hmmm. The windows are not doing much for the house. I would remove the shutters, paint the window trim and all other trim dark gray or black. If you must paint the brick (I don't see how that helps you), paint it and the garage door a medium gray. (I would rather see the house in a sage green color if it must be painted, but you have expressed interest in gray). I would consider putting an arbor structure over the garage door (above the light or move the lights to the sides) wide enough to meet the side of the house and at the other side meet the railing. I would paint the arbor the same as the trim (dark gray or black). Or paint the arbor the same color as your front door, which needs to be something inviting and not too dark.

Next I would remove all of the existing shrubs in front of the house, plant a nice specimen tree forward of the right corner of the house, take out the grass on the left side of the walkway and make a planting bed there with perennials, some grasses, and an evergreen shrub at the lowest corner. Include a lot of bright blooming plants, apple green foliage, gold grasses, etc. to brighten up the yard.

I would also like to see the walkway redone in brick or pavers to add some interest.

Please post this on the Landscape forum for better ideas for the yard.
    Diane

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's an article from Sunset magazine website -- with a split level remodel ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset magazine wesbite -- split level remodel

• teacats
    10 years ago

Yes -- a pergola over the garage would work wonders -- and help disguise the size of the windows ...

And if you paint the brick -- consider painting the garage door (and the trim) in the same color -- right now -- it is the main focal point of the house.

You may have to re-think that sloping yard -- and re-do the whole thing to level it out (and add appropriate drainage) Then you could add wood or stacked brick terraces -- and new wider steps (with lighting and a handrail) down to the driveway level.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- pin board of pergolas over garage

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Take out the shrubs next to the house before you do anything else - to me they seem to be weighing down that end of the house, and they block windows (you'll notice from the inside).

I like the color, and wouldn't paint the brick. Painting the garage door and the trim around it would help keep attention away from it - as someone else said, now it's the focal point, and not an especially attractive one.

I'm not sure the purpose served by the railing - the drop-off there is no more dangerous than the paved one closer to the street! I'd like to see a photo from across the street, to see how the rest of the lot relates to the street.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a pin board full of inspirational ideas for changing a split level -- inside and out! :)

Hope this helps too! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- split level remodel

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I would not paint the brick but rather spend the money somewhere else. Once you paint it, you have to repaint every so often for 8K or thereabouts.

Yes to the pergola

How are the windows on the inside, in terms of spacing and height?

• teeda
    10 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to paint that brick, but I am someone who loves that look. What is your style/vision for the interior? Traditional? Modern? I'm attaching a link to a brick ranch that was updated with paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Brick Ranch

• kkay_md
    10 years ago

Our brick Colonial was painted (gray) at least 25 years ago. It has never needed repainting, and looks very presentable. Don't be afraid to paint brick, if that's what you want to do. Many drab brick houses in our neighborhood have been painted over the years; it's a nice look if the brick is not distinguished in any way.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a whole bunch of photos of painted brick houses -- just for inspiration!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest - Pin board of Painted Brick Houses

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I would research this before starting to paint.
    "Think carefully before painting interior or exterior brick. Brick is chosen as a building material because of its durable and built-in color �" of which there are more choices today. "Most brick was never intended to be painted," says Crocker. "Long-term, maintenance-free painted brick requires careful planning." According to the Brick Industry Association, if you paint your exterior brick, you should be repaint[ing] it every three to five years."

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz -- what you should know before painting brick[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/what-you-need-to-know-before-painting-brick-stsetivw-vs~4040365)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I really think this is more a landscape issue than anything else.

I actually like the looks and the style of the house as is. It is very much what it is and it looks very appropriate for it's period. I would't touch the brick or the shutters. I might add more trim molding around the garage door and increase the size of the light fixture so it's more prominent.

Instead I would focus my $$ and energy on the landscape and hardscape.

I would swap out the filagree post and railings for something more substantial. I would pull out all the overgrown plants as they are all too close to the house anyway, and I would remove the walkway and the retaining wall with the metal pipes. I understand why the walkway is where it is, but it seems odd not to have it closer to where cars would park. I would instead update and curve the retaining wall and add a few steps in it up to a landing and then turn the walkway toward the house. In other words the graciousness of the front entry would start sooner at driveway level and lead guests directly to the front door.

I'd also add curves to the front of the planting beds and spread them out away from the house so they add a softer lines to the front of the building.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Since your home has such strong horizontal lines to it, I suggest that you may want to accentuate them, and turn your raised ranch into a Prairie Style home or a Mid Century Modern style.

Note the faux panel details on this home to get the face of the walls to be more in balance.

Just as others have mentioned, the lawn and landscaping here is not right. Seems to me the front area is crying out for a curved, landed stair that stops first at the sidewalk level and then travels down to the driveway.

To do this right, I think you're going to need the help of a professional.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County