Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you buy pre-made stair railings?

Posted by nadine33 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 11:17

In our dilemma of what to do about our stairs, we really wnat to replace our metal railing with a nice wood one. We don't really have the tools to build one. Is something like this available pre-made? It's just a straight section. I was going to look for a local handyman, but it's a pretty small job.
Here's what we're replacing...
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you buy pre-made stair railings?

You sure can buy pre-made. Here's one supplier. I'd steer you to your local old fashioned lumber yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: LJ Smith

o

You know, you could paint the railing black or bronze, then ADD a wooden hand rail across the top, maybe some wood on the bottom too, and you'd get a very upscale iron & wood look for a very moderate price.

o

don't know if you can tell in the pic..the reason we're looking to replace it, is because the piece "connected" to the wall isn't connected anymore. There is no rosette piece there and I gues years of holding onto it have caused the bolt to completely pull free of the wall...actually it's made a nice hole in the wall. SO at the very least we need to remove it, fix the wall and get a better way of anchoring it in to the wall. This has been painted and I know you can't tell in the pic but it looks kind of cruddy. The paint job wasn't done very well. I didn't see any pre-made full sections at that website, just newels and balusters.

o
curved part

If we did want to add wood to the top, what do we do about the curved handle part?

o

LJ Smith will have all the components you will need. However, our local lumber place has had issues will their product not lining up properly. For that reason, we are going with Crown Heritage. CH seems to have a wider variety of styles as well. We are just about to embark on this project as well. We are ripping out the builder's selection -- every house in the neighborhood has the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Heritage

o

If you do go with a wooden handrail up top, I'd get a finished wooden end and cut off the metal right after the last post. Kill the curl...

o

You might need to make sure that your wrought iron railings are up to code (how tall and how far apart are the balusters).

o

Nadine, Fine the components you like and then have the handyman assemble it....fixing the wall as part of the project.

o

Yeah...I think this job is a bit too much. Maybe if we had all the tools handy, but since we still have TONS of other work to do. I'm going to check Angies list, but anyone have recommendations on how to find a good handman...especially for a job as small as this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here