Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof2

Floor tile for bathroom update

RNmomof2 zone 5
10 years ago

I am updating my college girls bathroom and getting rid of the lime green tween look. I thought I knew what I wanted for the floor but I am having second thoughts.

I was going to use this LVT from Armstrong but now I fear that it is too large to use in this bathroom. It is 12 x 24. I like the size because it is different but I think it may be too large for the room. The first room is 6 ft long or 3 tiles by 2 full tiles and 2 partial wide. 2 plus tiles long in the second room by 5 wide. I was going to have it installed in a running bond pattern.

Thoughts on if this tile is too big? I fear that it is going to look out of proportion in this room. The rugs are always there, perhaps that will help cut up the large size of the tiles?

We are probably painting the room a griege color and have a new shower curtain. Help before I screw up and regret this decision on the flooring!

Comments (7)

• peony4
    10 years ago

I like oversized tiles in a small room. I think they make a statement without being so busy. Based on the scale you describe here, I wouldn't hesitate using them if I liked the tile itself.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I have 12x24 in our dinky powder room which is about 4x5. I like it...fewer grout lines to worry about. It is the same tile that is in our kitchen just a few feet away.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I think it will look fine. But you might consider a straight lay instead of a running bond. Just lay out a few tiles in both patterns, stand back and see which one you like best. Or take a photo and study them a while. The running bond might look more 'busy' for the smaller bath.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

We have Armstrong Alterna 18" x 18" in a 5' x 10' guest bath and it doesn't look too big at all. There are three tiles in front of the vanity. We laid them straight, as outsideplaying suggests, for a calmer feel suitable for a bathroom. I wasn't sure which direction you were laying the tiles, but if laid length-wise, it could make the room look longer and narrower, and I'd want try to make it look wider. So maybe laying them width-wise is a better choice. But I think an 18" x 18" straight grid pattern is a better look for a traditional bath.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

The oversized format is in style. It can work but you need a tile guy that lays it out in a pleasing way.

• suero
    10 years ago

Take your question over to the bathroom forum. Mongoct is an expert on tile setting and is always around to answer tile questions, particularly issues with large format tiles.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I hope those tiles have a "rough" finish to them. If they are smooth, they will be slippery when wet, really bad around water. Get a sample and pour water on it, then slide your bare foot over it to see if it is slippery.