Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone here used Microseal instead of Scotchguard? Thoughts?

Posted by three3apples (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 11:15

I have a new velvet settee that I need to protect. I found a product called Microseal that is supposedly a less toxic product than Scotchguard, but don't know anyone whose used it. If you have used it to protect your upholstered furniture, please weigh in! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone here used Microseal instead of Scotchguard? Though

I've always used the Scotchguard but, if the product says it can be used on upholstery, I'd have no problem using it. Why not try it out on the back of the furniture and let it dry and see what you think.

o

I made an apt for a local company here to apply it since I can't buy the product myself. I'll post back after it happens.

o

This peaked my interest, so I researched it and emailed the company. I was disappointed to hear back that the product is not sold to the homeowner but must be applied by them.

o

We had Microseal applied. It did nothing to help that spot. The tech had no understanding of how to care for velvet and told me I should saturate it with water if anyone spills on it. I told him that is against what Robert Allen suggests for this particular velvet. The Microseal did nothing to ruin the pile/nap of the fabric but, since then (after the four day cure time), it seems to get crushed from sitting on it and these crush marks are permanent. Is this normal for velvet? I'll take a photo of one of these crush marks.

o

This spot did not result from any stain or liquid, just sitting on the sofa. Is this kind of permanent crush normal? Any way to eliminate it?

o

I have never, ever seen velvet of any composition (cotton, rayon, etc.) react like that to someone simply sitting on it. It may be that the fabric is defective, or just too fragile to sit upon.

o

I sat on my sample for 60 min in the car and the same thing happened. I weigh just over 100 pounds so its not like this is serious weight on the pile.

This post was edited by three3apples on Wed, May 7, 14 at 8:06

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here