Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

Has anyone here used Microseal instead of Scotchguard? Thoughts?

three3apples
10 years ago

I have a new velvet settee that I need to protect. I found a product called Microseal that is supposedly a less toxic product than Scotchguard, but don't know anyone whose used it. If you have used it to protect your upholstered furniture, please weigh in! Thanks.

Comments (10)

• three3apples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made an apt for a local company here to apply it since I can't buy the product myself. I'll post back after it happens.

• judiegal6
    10 years ago

This peaked my interest, so I researched it and emailed the company. I was disappointed to hear back that the product is not sold to the homeowner but must be applied by them.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We had Microseal applied. It did nothing to help that spot. The tech had no understanding of how to care for velvet and told me I should saturate it with water if anyone spills on it. I told him that is against what Robert Allen suggests for this particular velvet. The Microseal did nothing to ruin the pile/nap of the fabric but, since then (after the four day cure time), it seems to get crushed from sitting on it and these crush marks are permanent. Is this normal for velvet? I'll take a photo of one of these crush marks.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This spot did not result from any stain or liquid, just sitting on the sofa. Is this kind of permanent crush normal? Any way to eliminate it?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I have never, ever seen velvet of any composition (cotton, rayon, etc.) react like that to someone simply sitting on it. It may be that the fabric is defective, or just too fragile to sit upon.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sat on my sample for 60 min in the car and the same thing happened. I weigh just over 100 pounds so its not like this is serious weight on the pile.

This post was edited by three3apples on Wed, May 7, 14 at 8:06

• HU-935804395
    3 years ago

Many different options

• PRO
    MicroSeal fabric protection
    2 years ago

It could be Viscose fiber, any moisture will distort the fiber, some sell it as silk blend, I'm an Microseal distributor and the tech should told you to use (Solvent to clean, not water) You can use a steam iron on the velvet and a velvet brush will corect the nap of the fiber.

• thatnamealreadyexists
    2 years ago

It looks exactly like Viscose velvet which you'll need to clean with Dry Cleaning Fluid ONLY (nothing with water in it). Viscose is a fiber that can not get wet with water H20 as the water degrades/breaks down the fabric on contact. You can try and seal the viscose velvet with a 303 Marine Waterproofing protector so that water just rolls off of it instead of penetrating the fabric. I'm not sure why companies sell Viscose fabric since it gets ruined on Day 1.