Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Console table suggestions -

kellienoelle
10 years ago

I am in need of a console table to fill a space between a sofa and a wall. If anybody has been following along to my work in progress FR, we had a bit of a standoff between my husband who wanted to have the sofa against the wall, and me who (at the recommendation of the folk here) wanted it pulled up closer to the fireplace. After a couple of months of us "living with it", my husband either has relented because he knows I can be more stubborn than he is or come to love the new arrangement. So I have been giving the green light to get a console/sofa table to fill the space. I have been looking but have seen nothing that strikes my fancy so I thought I would turn to you guys for suggestions.

A couple of notes, the sofa, loveseat, chair and drum table are new and will not be changed out, I want to keep the rug even though it has been challenging decorating around, the side tables and coffee tables are old and will likely be replaced at some point, we just repainted the room from a cream color to this slightly deeper beige which we like, we do want window treatments and I am sure I will be hitting you up for ideas soon, I am not quite to accessory stage so lots in here will likely change, that TV isn't moving (a standoff where I gave in). Here is the room as is:

Rough floor plan (although side tables aren't to scale)

And a couple of overall images of the room (pics taken at night so I apologize that it looks dark and I probably could have straightened up a bit)

And then a closer up of the space in question
{{!gwi}}

I am needing probably about a foot wide, it won't be very visible so I would like it to be relatively inexpensive. Ideas? Wood? Metal? Glass top?

Comments (69)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I think a console table would look good there to hold your lamps and give that space a purpose. But I agree with losing at least one of end tables if you add a console. There is a coffee table for placing your drinks. You might add an interesting low trunk or chest or something similar in the area to the right of the fireplace and under the window (if there is no end table there). Not to sub as an end table, but just to make that a more cohesive space. Having two end tables, a coffee table and a console around a loveseat is claustrophobic to me.

Or maybe consider a set of smaller nesting tables in lieu of the end table by the window. You can pull them out if needed and they wouldn't take up much visual space so close to the love seat.

• dmock53
    10 years ago

I don't know if you have ever been to this site...but the selection and ideas...plus the pricing, service and quality is great...
    I have bought my console tables ...one for behind the sofa and one for the entrance by my front door from them and I think you can find some great ideas and products for them.

Just a thought!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayfair.com

• Janice742
    10 years ago

As for your side table - why not something round... there are a lot of squares in your room....

Keep it light and open - I like bringing in a metal

Here is a link that might be useful: round side table

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Sorry Kellie - I just saw your round table across the room! I wonder how that would look next to your couch. Not that you want two of the same, though.

Your room looks great, by the way.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Janice - I think we may be of the same mind. I think Tibbrix's idea is great if it weren't so highly visible from the side. I worry about the empty area looking odd, and ...well, empty.

So....round table between sofa and loveseat, remove the table to the side of the loveseat (or I still think one of the small "C" tables could work). I love the one that you selected but we've had a rough month financially so would love to save a few $ if possible. How about one of these?

Then a console table behind with the lamps and maybe a couple of decorative items. Large piece of art (TBD) centered over table?

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Since you want a console, I would put both lamps on it, remove both end tables, and since you want something for a drink, add just one low, petite tray table. Lovely room!

• Janice742
    10 years ago

I agree with Anele - and I like the second round table

• Janice742
    10 years ago

How about this? Google "small tray tables" and you get a ton of different styles

Here is a link that might be useful: small end table

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I found a wrought iron and glass console table that I picked up at Pier One for behind the sofa in our library. I don't know what I went in there to buy, but the table caught my eye because it was narrow and unobtrusive. We also have side tables with lamps and a coffee table. I love having the table there. I often put fresh flowers on it and there is an antique clock, too. Right now, there is also a bowl with glass fishing floats there. I think your space is perfect for something like that. It was not expensive, easy to dust, and noy noticeable, but allows for added touches that enhance the space.

• Sms
    10 years ago

Since you won't see much if it check out Ikea and CB2 for inexpensive console table options

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyn - I think my mom has that same one from Pier One, which I really like. I just looked on their website and unfortunately (if it is the one that they still sell) it is only 36 inches long. My loveseat is 50 inches so I think I need something longer, especially if I am planning on putting the lamps on it.

I think I may start with the console and then figure out the side tables. I can sample the drum table over there between the sofa and loveseat to see if it still feels clausterphobic. Then maybe the smaller round tray table like Janice linked over by the chair?

What do you guys think of this console table? The price sure is right, on sale for 50% off at Wayfair. The reviews are good, the style is basic. The dimensions of the "space" at the moment are 14" wall to loveseat, loveseat is 34" H , 50" W. The table is 30" H, 42" W, 14" D

Here is a link that might be useful: Console table on sale

• chispa
    10 years ago

Here is a thin and simple console. I bought a bed and bookcase for my teen son from this company and was very happy with the quality and service. I'm in LA so I ordered directly from the store.

Here is a link that might be useful: BluDot console table

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Be careful with glass. Collects and shows dust SO easily, as well as fingerprints.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Kellie, my table is 50" long by 30" high by 17 " deep. It is about 13 years old. Sometimes, I think you just need to go into stores at the right moment to find the perfect piece.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the table you posted, Kellie, but am not sure what it would look like with the second shelf from the side view.

IKEA shelf and legs, or any other shelf and legs for that matter

Overstock, 50" 392.00

Or something like this:

I'd also check CL

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA shelf turned console table

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oooh, really like that first one nosoccermom put up.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Want me to check your CL, Kellie? If so, tell me where to look.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh you guys are the best. My CL is Kansas City. I took a look and didn't see anything but I don't have "the gift" that many of you guys have!

Chispa - I quite like everything about the one that you suggested (it even comes in red!) except the price is a bit higher than I was thinking. If it was actually going to be a focal point that is perfectly reasonable but being tucked away I think it would be great to spend a bit less.

nosoccermom - I agree with Tibbrix, I like that first one! I checked out the Ikea site and don't see the items on their website but perhaps I could find something similar locally. I am hopelessly non-handy but that certainly seems within my capabilities (famous last words). The hard part for me will be finding something that would work, but if I am patient an Ikea is being built around here. I hear what you are saying about the shelf from the side, but that price is kind of hard to ignore.

What do you think of this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Another option

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

OK, I feel like we have to think this through some more before you buy anything!

First of all, how much space do your lamps need?

How will your lamps look up high-- will any part of them that shouldn't show show when they are raised up? (Does that make sense?)

The space is pretty narrow for a console table. Just want to make sure it won't look crammed in there.

I'm sort of wondering if the suggestions made above for art instead would work better.

I say, before you buy, make a mockup with furniture you have. Put something back there to simulate the console.

I looked at your CL . . .so far, I think the choices you've found are better.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

World Market, 289.00

They also have a round drum side table.

IKEA instructions below. I can't find that specific shelf, but there are plenty of IKEA shelves, all about 47" or you buy a wood shelf at HD and have it cut to size.

Then get some legs, e.g. Lalle

or another style
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11845/

Or get a cheapo laminate shelf or ready made console table and use STIKWOOD. It comes in all kinds of varieties an dis apparently real thin wood.:

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA hack console table

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

AHEMâ¦another nice thing about a shelf on brackets as a console (in addition to it being cheap and you can do it in any design you want!) is that, since it's fixed, the sofa is pressed right up against the shelf, and when people sit down, it doesn't move and topple stuff sitting on top of the shelf.

Okay. I will shut up about the shelf/bracket idea now.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Anele brought up the lamp height, but I'm wondering if the shades will fit on the console without touching the wall. How deep are they?

Can the loveseat be pulled in closer to the FP and the sofa shifted down a few inches?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Real quick reply since I am at work, I do have some wiggle room to move the loveseat in a bit. I think it is a great idea to "sample" something but I don't know if I have anything that would work in my house! I am not opposed to buying new lamps if my existing ones don't work. I have had them forever!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Is 60' too long? Here's one on your CL, 100.00. You could stain the top.
    {{!gwi}}

Also search under console table and with 'gallery'
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: CL table

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom....is 60" too long? My first thought was yes, but then I started thinking that it would allow the lamps to be be outside the edges of the loveseat which would probably be preferable for functionality. and something I haven't thought about, now I worry about the lamp not providing good light for the sofa if it is situated behind the loveseat against the wall (we so very rarely use the overheads). I guess I could get floor lamps.Or one of those arc lamps that I like.
    Of the three that you posted, I like the last the best, but is that too rustic?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

kellie, lamps on the console would provide better light than on side tables because the light is up higher.

Also love that last table, and it is definitely NOT too rustic. Rustic/wood go with everything!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 9:05

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

OK, we agree about the last of the three tables (link below). It's real wood and has some nice details, i.e. not just hammered together. They're asking 150.00. The only question is whether it would look weird if the table sticks out 10" left and right of the sofa. On all the pics I've found, it's either shorter or maybe the same length.
    For lamps, you could also look into plug in wall sconces.

Oh, and check this out! They built it themselves, but I think it looks like a more ambitious project.

http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/04/the-console-returns-one-last-time/

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Now, this looks a lot easier,
    http://wherenorthmetsouth.blogspot.com/2010/09/faux-sofa-table.html

Kind of like Tibbrix's board with uprights on the side.

I would attach the board to the wall, too. Not sure how stable those three uprights are.

Here is a link that might be useful: CL console table

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the way the console table looks behind the sofa. I know it was mentioned above but make sure that you get a table with enough depth to accommodate lamp shades. I would look at lamps you would consider ordering on lampsplus and see what the shades measure. I love the hammered look lamps with the drum shades that nosoccermom posted.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Kellie, I was looking for lamps for my upcoming bedroom remodel and found a lamp very similar to what is shown on the console table that nosoccermom posted at a great price.

Here is a link that might be useful: console lamps

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Also check eBay for lamps, especially Pottery Barn stuff.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want that exact version of the YoungHouseLove console table. I love the shelves on the sides to stash things. But I need it to fit my loveseat exactly. Darn, why am I so unhandy? Why did I marry somebody who is equally as unhandy? Who knows a more handy person in the Kansas City area? I promise, my standards are low and I am willing to do the staining/painting myself. And you even found the lamps Holly! Now I just need the console table to place them on. Anyone???

Maybe I could find two bookselves of the appropriate size to put on either end and just have to make/find a top?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think you could use two slim bookshelves and then put a nice board on top. I mean, you don't need that hidden storage compartment on top as in YHL.

If you want that recycled wood strip look, check out Stikwood.

Alternatively, I wonder if you could make a less ambitious version.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Just a thought. $59 table from IKEA 55" long.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the shelves on the console table too! Do you have an Angie's list locally? You could probably find a carpenter who could do that look for you for not a terrible amount of money.

I was so excited when I found the lamps and for such a good price! Your room is looking fabulous, and they would add a nice touch!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could get it made if I can't find something that works. I looked a bit for shelves but finding one so narrow yet the right height is difficult. What do you think of this one? I am not so crazy about it head on but in thinking of it from the sides I can see that the shelves could be useful. The height may be a tad low at 29.75" (loveseat is 34").

Beverly - they are building an Ikea here so that will soon be a viable option. In your decorating opinion, is it better to have a table that it slightly too long or slightly too short?

Here is a link that might be useful: CL option

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This CL option is the perfect length at 50" (same length as sofa), width is maybe an inch or two wider than I wanted, but workable and would provide more room for lamps. It is solid wood, which I like because it could be stained or painted. Looks to be in good condition. The height is a bit low at 29", sofa is 34". I keep looking and not finding anything ideal. I don't want to spend alot of money or alot of time (i.e. finding somebody to build something) considering it is going to be kind of tucked away.

Is this a possibility or a pass? I keep looking for a no-brainer, but haven't found it yet~do I settle on a good enough? I would like to fill the empty spot

Here is a link that might be useful: CL sofa table

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Kellie, I think the legs are very nice on the table and that is the part that you would see the most of. Sometimes we just have to settle as the perfect item may never come along. However, there is an unwritten rule that as soon as you settle the exact thing will come along. I honestly don't think you will find much nicer at that price. It is a shame that they said no haggling because I would want to try to get it for less. They may be willing to come down in price if it doesn't sell but I don't think I would risk taking that chance.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think it's beautiful! Just shim it to give it more height.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I'll just take the plunge. I emailed about going to see it. How this will of course turn out is that they will respond that it just sold, now that I finally made up my mind. Then I'll be mad at myself for hemming and hawwing.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Good luck Kellie, I think you will be very pleased with it and I am so anxious to see it in place!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got the CL console table today. It's nice but I know that I would like to stain or paint it, although color is TBD. I just placed my existing lamps (and "stuff") on it, but know i need new lamps and stuff. perhaps the lamps that holly-kay suggested above. Just need to figure out if the size will be OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

it looks wonderful! I'm so glad you got it.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One thing, I still need a table over to the side of the loveseat to set a drink on. Using the console table is awkward. So I could get a small drum table, one of the west elm martini tables in a fun color, or a C-style table. Here is a long shot of the room, any thoughts?

And how does the purchase of one thing lead to the need for 5 new things?

Here is a link that might be useful: martini table.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It's called give a moose a muffin or as a GW member so aptly put it, scope creep!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah yes, scope creep, I can't even imagine what would have happened if I had bought a "real" 1920's house. At least all the decisions I have had to make are strictly aesthetic. I was in a friend's house while she was walking me through the inconveniences of her 1920s home and realized that things could be far worse for me!
    I ended up moving the drum table by the loveseat so may just keep it there for now.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think you could get away with one lamp on the far end of the console table for a more relaxed look. With two rounded lamps, it could look crowded. I'd put a few books under it, or find a lamp with a chunky base. You don't want them to look like they're tucked down under the loveseat.

I like the Kichler lamp, but it's only 40 watts, which I can't read by. I'd also like the light to be distributed around the room instead of concentrated on the console. So I might try a roomy end table with a lamp near the window and a floor lamp between the sofa and loveseat. If you put a floor lamp there, it might hide the bottom of the console enough to raise it a few inches unobtrusively. I was thinking of adding casters to the legs since it's an easy solution, but the look might not be great.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

"And how does the purchase of one thing lead to the need for 5 new things?"

The same way doing a quick dusting leads to a full day of house cleaning! Or doing a bit of weeding leads to a full day in the garden and emerging cut, scraped, bruised, bleedingâ¦

Congrats on the console table. It's great. It is very low, though! Wow. I'd buy some furniture feet and attach them. Even something simple like this. And definitely smaller lamps.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest adding feet too. I looked at Osborne Woodworking this morning--the problem is the tapered leg. It'd be hard to find a good fit.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Spray paint the lamp bases(color OR off white)and get black shades.

• glad2b
    9 years ago

Your new table looks great! It makes your room look so cozy - I just love it.