Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stair runner/area rug in multi level house

Posted by nyrgirl35 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 10:55

I have a multi level house and one level my living room has an earth tone floral area rug the next level is my dining room and has a burgundy/gold area rug. I want to put a stair runner on my steps and not sure how it will work with the multi levels? I thought about a solid color with maybe some type of pattern on it in same color, but I feel like its not enough for me and will be disappointed. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stair runner/area rug in multi level house

can you post photos of your rugs?

o

Living room rug

o

Dining room rug

o

Stairs from LR to DR

o

Can you find something with the burgundy? IMHO though, I would paint the back of the stairs white and leave the steps without a rug.

o

I had planned on leaving the steps with no runner but they are taking a beating with the kids and dog.

o

I think a green like in the LR rug would look good. Or a cream berber carpet. It is light, but a good berber is easy to keep clean.

o

I would suggest a good wool runner on the stairs. It will hold up years longer and wool does not absorb stains so it's easier to keep clean and fresh looking. It will take a beating and not wear down like synthetic carpets will either.

o

These are 2 samples I just picked up. I like the top one best and although I love the burgundy color in it now what happens if I change my color scheme years from. Right now I have burgundy accented throughout my house but just thinking of the future also. Thoughts??

o

They both are nice. If you change your color scheme, that means you will be replacing both of your area rugs. Replacing the runner might be a pretty minor expense compared to replacing the rugs, so I'd just imagine I'd replace all three.

o

Having such a hard time deciding between these 2 runners. It's a wool carpet like memo suggested. I feel safe with the lighter one (meaning I wont get tired of) but worry about the light color getting dirty. And the burgundy I love but worry I might get tired of. Do you think the lighter blends in with my steps too much? Ugh I'm so bad at making decisions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here