Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Where do you prefer living room furniture face?

TxMarti
10 years ago

I was going to say what direction, but that would be confusing. So, if you were not constrained by windows, fireplaces, or any doorways other than the one leading into the living room from the foyer, what do you think makes the most inviting arrangement: sofa or other upholstered furniture with back to the doorway but facing a focal piece, or sofa or other upholstered furniture facing the doorway with focal piece behind or in a corner?

And what do you do if your preferred look isn't possible because of windows or fireplace?

Comments (20)

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Not an option at my house - it must face the TV. And there is only one sensible spot for the TV. Not negotiable, not debatable, we just don't discuss it :).

On a serious note, I would love to be able to float my furniture, but, in spite of TV, my furniture must be placed on walls and under windows because of windows and openings.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"what do you think makes the most inviting arrangement: sofa or other upholstered furniture with back to the doorway but facing a focal piece, or sofa or other upholstered furniture facing the doorway with focal piece behind or in a corner? "

LOL!
    Neither!
    I would not have the back to a doorway, but I also would not have the back to a focal piece.

Maybe your floorplan would help....

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I guess the most inviting arrangement is to enter the room and see the sofa facing you, but you have to work with whatever elements are already existing in the architecture.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Sometimes a diagonal arrangement is nice when there is a focal point. Think soft triangle, with a definite way to access seating, but also ease of viewing the focal point.

Agree a floor plan would help.

• rosie
    10 years ago

No toddlers here any more, but once upon a time that sort of consideration trumped all others.

Our main grouping faces a fireplace to the west and aTV wall flanked by wide doorways to the north. The open side of the arrangement toward the doorways (open to not block the view of the TV between) invites people right in.

On the negative side, our sofa cuts across the middle of a rectangular room, its back to the other conversation areas. I'd like to put our easy chairs there, for a less divided feeling, but TV viewing rules at our house too.

FWIW (because I really do love Madtown's picture) , it's best for our casual living for furniture to be rather "loosely" set, more amoeba-ish than elegant, for better views, to be able to look at whoever's in the next chair, etc.

When possible, I really like arrangements that allow one to walk across a room and right up to a nice window to look out. But then, laying on a couch with a book and glancing out the window right next to you now and then is very nice too.

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

Tough question, because the setting has so much to do with what's pleasing and comfortable - but I like a smallish sofa opposite a pair of chairs angled toward the middle, facing each other across the fireplace as in Madtown's picture; some other form of moveable seating like ottomans or small occasional chairs; and floated if the room allows, with the walls allocated to doorways, windows, bookcases, pictures, maybe a small writing desk or a game table or a piano, or some combination thereof.

Each place to sit should have good lighting, a place to put down a drink or a book, something attractive to look at (other than the other people), and should be easy to get in and out of.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

No tv in my living room, nor will there ever be. My living room is long and narrow. I have the sofa across from the FP with a coffee table in front of it. There is a chair on either side of it, angled in toward the coffee table. It's a nice set up for conversation. There's an oriental rug to pull it all together.

At one end of the living room are two chairs that can be easily pulled up for more "close in" seating. I frequently have my book club meet here and it's a nice arrangement for chatting. I put a few snacks on the coffee table.

I do like that look of two sofas opposite. It also works well to converse. That is what is most important to me. What I don't like is when the seating is far away from each other and you feel lie you have to shout to the other person or lean way over to reach the coffee table.

• abundantblessings
    10 years ago

I usually follow the plan in Madtown's pic whether or not there is an architectural element like the FP as the focal point. I'd create a focal point opposite the entry with parallel sofas, and if the room is large enough add two chairs flanking either side of the focal point. If the room is even larger I'd put two additional chairs across from those by the focal point. I once had a small corner of a sectional with its back to the entry, two chairs across from the longer side in front of a credenza, and two chairs in front of the full glass exit to the lanai, pool and small lake beyond. In that house the lake's fountain was the focal point.

I've lived with all those arrangements and the rooms invariably are quite welcoming. None of my public space seating is ever positioned to touch the walls. Floating at least several inches makes even small spaces feel larger by giving breathing room.

I would not put a sofa or large piece so that the majority of people are seated with their backs to the entrance. I'd prefer to have people feel invited to enter rather than blocked. Nor do I typically prefer sofas facing the entrance. I find that also gives off a very non-welcoming vibe when entertaining as it gives the impression that those already seated are on guard and monitoring the comings and goings rather than engaged with others already present.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Of course it depends on the size of the room, windows, entrances, etc. We just redid the LR, which we use as a FR. In the old layout, the TV was the focal point, which meant that "my" chair had it's back to the foyer--I hated it!! In the new layout--we sent the piano to the basement and put the TV where it used to be...it' can't be seen from the foyer. I guess now the focal point is the sofa with a large painting above which is what you see from the foyer. Also a coffee table and chair. Now "my" chair is at an angle so I have to turn my head to watch TV but it beats having my back to the entrance and looks nicer too. Our "real" family room was set up as an office when the kids were in school so I could monitor them on the computer. They are grown and gone now, so we are turning it into a 2nd TV room/office for those times when DH wants to watch sports or some awful action movie and I want to watch an awful Lifetime movie.

• tracie.erin
    10 years ago

I would like to see the sofa facing me, but due to the layout of the room, FP etc., mine is set up like the room madtown posted.

• LanaRoma
    10 years ago

The advice for a good Feng Shui says that the seating should face the person entering the room. From my experience, it makes sense. The room looks more inviting and welcoming that way.

My approach is to avoid any seating positioned with its back to the stairs and dining area. Still, I have two wingback chairs in the middle of the room with their backs to the dining room. Not perfect, but my teen often moves them around, so they can end up in any corner of the room. Then my hubby pulls them back in place when he wants to sit down with his newspaper, lol!

My living room is truly a room for living. My folks congregate in it, so I set it up to accommodate everyone. TV, my kid's computer in a corner, bookshelves, lots of varied seating and coffee table that are easy to move around, etc.

This last weekend my teen had two friends for a sleepover. They camped in the living room. He and I moved the coffee table, long ottoman and one of the armchairs to the guest bedroom. He also put the furniture back the next day after his guests were gone.

Same for my husband who likes to do his stretches in front of the TV after his long bike rides - he pushes the coffee table and an armchair out of the way too.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's my neighbor's living room and I may not have it exactly right. She said she didn't really like her living room arrangement and asked my opinion. Eeek, I can't even get my own house the way I like it, though I know it is easier to see what isn't working in someone else's house.

This is the way her room is laid out right now. The room is about 16x16. The only window is at the end across from the foyer. When it's just the two of them watching tv, he sits in the recliner by itself and she sits at the end of the sofa. When there is a group of people there, it seems like a long way from the two recliners to the sofa, and I couldn't see the front of the tv at all from those two recliners.

The bookshelves aren't connected to each other, just free standing so one or all could move.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 18:01

• mdrive
    10 years ago

3 recliners in a room that size seems a bit much to me....

i would probably position the sofa (is that drawing scale?) on the long wall facing the TV, 2 recliners angled in front of the window, if possible break up the book cases and place them on the TV wall? flanking the TV.... then maybe one recliner where the 2 recliners are now positioned...

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No the drawing isn't to scale, and it probably isn't. When sitting in the area with the two recliners, it is about 10 steps to the sofa. I didn't tell her I was going to ask this question here, just thought I'd gather some ideas before talking to her again. I have no idea how to make it better, I just know it doesn't work the way it is.

My only thought was to leave the sofa where it is, and pull in the other chairs in a slight curve with one directly facing the tv, the next one angled a little and the next angled more. But that would put the back of one right in view of the front door.

• geokid
    10 years ago

My thoughts on the sofa and chair placement were exactly the same as desert's. The bookcases could be left where they are with the sofa floating in front of them. Or two could flank the TV and the other two could be next to each other on the wall where the two recliners are now.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like that idea too geokid. I never thought of placing the sofa in front of the shelves. I can't wait to talk to her now; I will tell her these aren't really my ideas though. lol

• mdrive
    10 years ago

ooooh, i really like geokid's idea of floating the sofa in front of the bookcases....she could also flank the TV and leave 2 bookcases on the new sofa wall....one issue with floating the sofa however, is if there is not a floor outlet (which i am assuming there is not) the sofa end tables with lamps isn't going to work unless she is willing to hire the installation of a floor outlet...have mixed feelings on that because you are pretty much 'fixed' with your room arrangement then.....unless of course there are hardwoods with an area rug that can be positioned as needed

can't vouch for this company, but this vendor does have some attractive wireless lamps

Here is a link that might be useful: wireless lamps

• geokid
    10 years ago

I solve the no outlet in the floor problem by having a power strip on a very long cord run under the sofa. She could also use an extension cord. As long as the side tables aren't see-thru, it's very easy to snake a cord under the tables and sofa and not be noticeable.

Another good suggestion for sofa on the wall flanked by two bookcases. Very cozy. Or she could swap the two recliners and the two middle bookcases.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I love the idea of the wireless lamps. I have a table floating in my den and just don't have a lamp on it.

I talked to her today and she loves the idea of the sofa in front of the bookshelves. As long as her dh can get tot he books. She doesn't have any floor outlets and we are slab around here, so it's cordless or an extension cord under the sofa.