Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistychaz

Exterior Color for cabin

mistychaz
10 years ago

Hi...we have a very small cabin on a lake here in Minnesota. The color now is brown and we are putting in new windows which will be white with white trim as well as a new white storm door I am looking for a color for the vinyl siding we will be putting on. Thinking of Certainteed brand. Looking at their Sable Brown color or maybe Natural Clay, although I think a deeper color will look nice. I am also trying to decide between lap siding or shake siding. Either way, it will be vinyl for ease of maintenance. The roof will stay for now, until it needs to be replaced with a better color. Thank you.

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

How about the Certainteed Terra Cotta shakes? Really rustic! Chloenkitty here was looking at the Certainteed Sable Brown as well, and her contractor told her it is more expensive than the other colors. Maybe with a house as small as yours, though ,that isn't a factor.

Terra Cotta Shakes:

• teacats
    10 years ago

White or pale gray siding would help the new windows blend into the whole façade .... and would work with the gray tones in the roof color, the wonderful color of the tree ....

• mistychaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, I did consider gray and I do like that color. The roof is actually brown, but hopefully will be changed some day. Do you think the whole cabin done in shakes would be ok or would it look better with lap siding and then shakes just on the gable ends?

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

I would not do shakes for the whole cabin, just gable ends. I love the color posted by Tibbix, in fact I like the whole combination of colors for your place. I think that it would make the house more cheery. I would not do anything darker than that.
    Diane

• mistychaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, I did consider gray and I do like that color. The roof is actually brown, but hopefully will be changed some day. Do you think the whole cabin done in shakes would be ok or would it look better with lap siding and then shakes just on the gable ends?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I really like shakes. I think they make a house look not as flimsy and more beach cottage-y. But that is just my opinion.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

With white windows, I'd probably not pick brown siding (although I love the picture Tibbrix posted).

Probably would go with a more warm grayish look like Certainteed Natural Clay.

It's the shingles here in this picture.

Also look at the two houses, by scanmike and pamela in the link below. They are Natural Clay shakes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Certainteed Natural Clay shakes

• mistychaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the photos and thoughts. I am really considering certainteed Natural clay now. Would you say it reads more gray, green or beige? I am thinking of doing the whole thing in shakes, because the cabin is so small. Also, on a small building like this, should the gable ends be the same color as the body of the building, or would it be ok to do the gable ends in Sable Brown?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Are you able to see the shingles in person? Also, ask the distributor or even manufacturer whether there's a house in your area that uses the colors you're considering.

I'd also post a follow-up to the thread I linked above. There are at least two people on GW who used this color. You can also contact them via GW. Even if they don't want to respond with their email, they may post to the old thread.

Scanmike (who is one of them) is currently posting on picking colors for her house, so she's around on the board.