Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Random small questions, bundled

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

In no particular order.

1. I need small tension rods, in ORB, for my PR window. I looked at Pottery Barn, since they have nice rods that are cheap. They don't have them. My search gives me Kmart? Does someone make a nice tension rod?

2. We have an old Shuffleboard court on the Maine property. I'd imagine it's a PITA to remove. Shall we just have it painted (it's all faded IIRC)? Who would do that? A decorative painter?

3. Any good ideas for a poker night menu? DH says only "nothing too messy or hard to eat". Want to serve something a little different. Well, I do. He probably doesn't care.

4. For the skirt on my kitchen sink, I want to use navy and white or offwhite. I kind of don't want to do ticking because I just did that on windowseats here. I was also thinking of the very wide stripes, almost like the old fashioned roller towels, KWIM? What about this fabric, in a tailored style?

5. My D/W drawer front for the Maine kitchen has 4 false drawers (which has a Tall F/P behind it) and a real drawer at the bottom. I am mimicking and old card catalogue front. Putting aside your thoughts on aesthetics, functionally, will two pulls like this be okay to open the Tall Drawer?

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:07

Comments (19)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

In no particular order.
    1. I need small tension rods, in ORB, for my PR window. I looked at Pottery Barn, since they have nice rods that are cheap. They don't have them. My search gives me Kmart? Does someone make a nice tension rod?

Why not an inset sash rod that screws in? Look at Ann Wallace. They are solid brass, not polished, but you could darken them with patina, maybe.

2. We have an old Shuffleboard court on the Maine property. I'd imagine it's a PITA to remove. Shall we just have it painted (it's all faded IIRC)? Who would do that? A decorative painter?

Could you post a picture? What are the markings done with? I've seen them painted and with inlaid tile. There is a lopsided hopscotch painted on my basement floor, I might leave it for posterity.

3. Any good ideas for a poker night menu? DH says only "nothing too messy or hard to eat". Want to serve something a little different. Well, I do. He probably doesn't care.

Sliders of some sort?

4. My D/W drawer front for the Maine kitchen has 4 false drawers (which has a Tall F/P behind it) and a real drawer at the bottom. I am mimicking and old card catalogue front. Putting aside your thoughts on aesthetics, functionally, will two pulls like this be okay to open the Tall Drawer

It depends on how "stiff" the door is on the DW. I had a small pull that matched the others on my DW and ended up putting on a bar pull on because it was hard to get open. Maybe two would work better, but you might want to find something compatible for the active pull.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Regarding...

2. Are you keeping it as a shuffleboard court? Or just painting over it? If it's the former, there are shuffleboard templates you can buy, and then have a painter use it.

3. Do they eat *while* they're playing poker, or do they break from the game and eat separately? I would hope the latter, but you never know with game nights. For a recent event that was very casual, I set up a baked potato bar... not a culinary challenge by any means, but the men enjoyed piling on melted cheese, bacon bits, jalapenos, and so on.

4. I love that fabric! It would have to be carefully tailored, though--otherwise, the stripes may get lost in a gathered skirt. But if the gathering is slight enough to avoid deep pleats, it would be great for your kitchen.

5. I always need to feel pulls to determine if they are functional. I recommend ordering a sample first.

• roarah
    10 years ago

I love the fabric, so reminiscent of tea towels. I like your pulls but my tall dish drawer seems like it would be a pain to open with two hands when holding dishes and although it glides easily with a bar I am not certain a 4 inch pull would work.

As to the shuffleboard court, there are sport court companies now who might be able to resurface it for you.
    Really can not wait to see pics of your finished kitchen I think it is going to be so amazing!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Also, Country Curtains has ORB tension rods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Curtains Tension Rod

• User
    10 years ago

#2. Get a driveway resurfacer to do this. They can resurface the pad if need be and are experienced in using stencils or taping off designs for words like no parking, handicapped parking, etc. Their materials will also stand up to the elements.

Alternatively, If there is a senior center or mobile home park in the town with shuffleboard courts you could call them for a recommendation.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Keep the shuffleboard court....its gaining popularity again along with corn hole. Something that can be played by all ages.

There's a special slippery paint that needs to be used for the base.

Poker game = beer.

Nice to see Pal posting.

ML

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

1. Not a clue because I haven't bought any in years, but maybe Bed Bath and Beyond?

2. Same question...are you keeping it as a shuffleboard court? If so, then I think it would be kinda cool to repaint with some sort of concrete paint. I'm sure, as peony says, there would be a way to restore it and have someone repaint.

3. Men and poker...I think of steak reubens or something along those lines with meat and cheese. If close to St Patty's day, maybe with Guinness mustard involved. Sliders would be good, even a build-your-own bar. Or quesadillas pre-made or some other pick-up food and spreads to go-along like spicy roasted nuts, guacamole.

4. Love the fabric. But agree, I think you'd need to test what it would look like with soft gathers.

5. Great point from Pal. But I almost think they look too warm for the other cooler colors you've selected for your kitchen.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I love that fabric, but why am I the only one here unable to see navy with the turquoise of your fridge??? Hmmmâ¦.

Poker night fun foods: Crock pot of sweet and sour meatballs with toothpicks for picking them up? Pigs in a blanket w/dipping mustard? Nachos and guacamole? In other words, I guess, a smorgasbord of hors devours.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

For poker night:
    mini sandwiches, like mini Reubens, ham and cheese, pulled bbq with coleslaw
    I also really like scallops wrapped in turkey bacon and broiled
    or tater tots wrapped in bacon
    mini meatballs

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

1)Why do they have to be ORB if the curtains will just be sheered on? Spray paint white ones.

2)Maybe a college student studying for an art degree. It may not be the most challenging thing he/she has done, but it's painting, and what's better than working outside on a summer day? Post on the school's website.

3)Make-your-own nachos......and beer.

4)Much better than pillow ticking. How about adding a 2" navy border on the bottom?

5)No picture. :(

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i recently bought small tension rods at target... i thought they had orb there, but i bought 'nickel', so can't be positive...

chili or nachos are good choices... pulled pork sandwiches would go over well too!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Sears online for the rods. I bought two and they've held up really well.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Oakley, BusyBee, Patty_cakes, Nosoccermom, Tibbrix, Outside Playing, MaddieLee, KSWL, Roarah, Peony 4, and Palimpsest!

1 Tension rods; as soon as i saw Pal's second post, I went to Country Curtains and found some with the perfect dimensions and finish. The curtains will be tab or maybe held with string so the rods will be quite visible. (AnnieD, these curtains are all your fault I hope you know. And they will be in that mottled hand dyed fabric you suggested!)

2. Shuffleboard: Yes, we want to keep it. Of course, now that Pal has put the idea in my head I think it should be redone in lovely tiles!! Geez, Pal, you always upsell me with your ideas. I don't have a picture that is head on.

Glad to hear it is "coming back". Who knew? Slippery paint? See, you can learn ANYTHING on GW. Thx Maddielee!

Thanks for all the ideas. Will look for a template and/or a driveway person. Or, take Patty_cakes great idea! Maybe they could do something funky!

PS Pal, I don't see you as a hopscotchin' guy.

3 Poker - some great ideas. I decided to list them all and let DH choose; I'm better at choosing food for distaff affairs. Guy food makes me a little queasy!

4 Fabric - I will have to ask a seamstress about my choices for very light to no gathering. Tibbrix, the chairs are woven white and a very dark navy. I am trying to pick that up. Plus I have navy ocotopi plates. Good news, though, I am picking up the turquoise in three places now; the fridge, the hutch back wall, our new exterior french door I decided on for more light.

5 Pulls - Good point. I need to order a sample, and I need to find a Tall drawer. It may be harder to open then what I am used to. I may go form over function anyway; all the dishes will be stored in the Butler's pantry and this particular d/w is for secondary use.

PS Tsk tsk, Outside, you were only allowed to comment on function. I prob wouldn't use those unless they were or could be patina'ed. : )

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

(Feeling hand slapped, lol). I think shuffleboard will be loads of fun. Our grandkids love to play croquet with us. We have a fairly ancient set, so I think the faded paint, over time, only adds charm. The tile would be a cool touch to incorporate though.

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

When I was looking for a tension rod, I ended up buying a café curtain rod from Rejuvenation Hardware. They have different finishes and will custom cut the rod. I have inside mount in polished nickel with pinch pleated white sheer café curtains. You can definitely use them with tab curtains.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Here are two recipes for poker night. I have made both. I bought a whole shoulder and cut it in half. Used 1/2 for each recipe. Easy peasy and delish. Plus, do-ahead!

Slow Cooker Carnitas

Slow Cooker Hoisin and Ginger Pork Wraps

If you wanted them less messy, you could serve on slider buns.

On the skirt, could it be pleated rather than gathered? I'm sure your seamstress could work out a pleat pattern that would show off the stripes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Outside. That's so nice to spend time with kids like that.

Jerseygirl, my lil' windows are only 26.5" wide! So i needed small ones. But Im glad you reminded me, they are a great source.

BBstx,

Yes, thank you, that is what i mean. PLEATED, not gathered. I think that will look so nice, and not country-fussy.

Oh and, forget the boys, that Hoisin recipe is fab!!! I am definitely trying that for us, no matter how DH votes.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I agree, the hoisin and ginger pork wraps sound fab! I want to try them slider style with steamed buns (mantou/bao).

I also was going to suggest satay -- meat on a stick that is easy to eat and tastes great even as it cools down.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

It seems you have ample responses on all your questions but in the future, should your DH be hosting the poker night, I found this useful http://www.food.com/cookbook/poker-night-114140

Not all the guys at our poker night could/would eat pork and I choose not to do pork lest the constant explanation of ethnicity or religion, so I use this to be my guide and choose what I wish.

Remember anything served on a checkered buffalo napkin can work for a man's poker night and anything save pork served on a doily can work for a lady's bridge meet. ;-)