Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyse2502

What's the going rate for an interior decorator?

Hi
I am looking into interior decorators and was wondering what the going rate should be, hourly for advice, paint ideas, etc. I live in Long Island New York so major cities and suburbs are preferred.
Thank you!

Comments (6)

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

I'm in the city. I would say $100-250 per hour and up. There are a lot of different ways designers can get paid, and everyone from bored housewives to degreed professionals hiring out. You can find people who just advise on paint colors, and they may do it by the room. There are plenty of furniture retailers who'll help you for free.

It depends on what you want and how you want to structure payment.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Los Angeles burbs - $150/hour plus 20% markup on any goods purchased. The issue I had was that the ID did not itemize hours worked, did not show the cost on goods that were going to be marked up 20% and gave as little information on invoices as possible. Later I found out that on some purchases she was not hones about her cost on goods and was keeping a higher percentage.

So make sure you review the contract and amend to give you some protection. Have lawyer review if the scope of the project is pretty large. Demand itemizing/details on the hours worked and complete product details on any goods purchased.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I would base my initial research on recommendations only. I live in a major metropolitan area, and the results run the gamut, I'm afraid. So much of what you'll gain from ID services depends upon factors not related to cost or the years of experience.

First, define what you want from the ID.
    Then, ask around... there are plenty of stories to be had if you ask. Based on my experiences and those of friends and acquaintances, much of this really boils down to the "connection" between client and ID, and whether their personalities were a good fit.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

NYC $250 per hour
    Goods ordered: his cost plus 35%
    Traveling expenses for consultations and install

Small town Georgia. $175/ hour
    Same percentages as above (this is a lady I use here locally for small things, another pair of eyes when necessary, etc.)

Best advice I have to offer--- be completely honest about your budget. If your drop dead ceiling is 20k, make sure he or she knows that in advance. And understand exactly what the budget is to cover--- furniture and window treatments, Paint and/or wallpaper and labor, and rugs are pretty standard, but make sure they are each mentioned in the contract. Art often falls outside a budget, so if you want it included, mention it specifically. Our basement project for two rooms started at $25,000 and we are now about 45% over that----- and we already owned several large pieces we were reusing, like the pool table, two daybeds, two chairs and a console. (Luckily we do not need window treatments at all, the one window already has a plantation shutter.). However, the designer presented a scheme on budget as his first proposal and I asked for more choices, and that is how the amount has gone up-- not by his incompetence or dishonesty or non disclosure. At any point I could have rejected any of the proposed furnishings, or told him they were simply too expensive, and he would have found less expensive alternatives. If I had given him a budget of $10,000 he would not have taken the job unless it was a one weekend blitz-- me meeting him in Hickory NC with a U haul trailer and furnishing exclusively from floor samples available from the various vendors there. He's done that for people I know and their rooms have turned up fabulously, but it was too much of a chance for me.

Keep asking "where are we on the budget," and keep a running tally of the proposal amounts, your deposit, and the balances due.

It really surprises me how many people on GW have used designers who turned out to be crooks with bad taste who did not listen to their client. I don't know how they stay in business, but apparently there are a lot out there.

• chispa
    9 years ago

kswl, my ID has/had great reviews from mutual acquaintances, but they are her good friends! Maybe she cut them a deal ... she used their homes on tours to drum up more business. We had an open budget and I think she took advantage of that. At no point did she ever attempt so save us money, quite the contrary. I've been holding my tongue locally because we have 2 outstanding items, but as soon as we get those, I'll make sure to get my reviews and experience out there. A good designer, but a lousy business person.

It sounds like you found a great ID and your basement is turning out great.

• PRO
    Allison Gamba Design Consultant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the great info! Love this site