Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsachs

Please show me your MODERN Dining Room lighting

FSachs
9 years ago

I have seen many beautiful traditional dining room lighting/chandeliers here, but I am looking to go more modern in my dining room and am looking for ideas in "real life" settings. If you have something modern in your room, I'd love to see!

Comments (14)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I don't have a picture but I have this knock off chandelier from o.co and really like it. The bulbs are glass. It's not oversized, only about 18" wide.

My dining room is not done because I'm waiting for the perfectly sized and priced vintage bar to come on the market, but I'll take a pic tonight to show in setting.

Here's a blog post on the chandy it is knocking off,

the Robert Abbey Bling

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Lindsey Adelman DIY kit (140.00). Not my DR, but I've been pushing this on this forum.

{{!gwi}}

Also, check out West Elm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindesy Adelman DIY kit

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I'm really into LED lights so always thought those exposed bulb chandys wouldn't work for me, but I just found this philips slimline light I really like the shape of:

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My dining room isn't modern, but if it was, I'd probably go with something like this

(they do similar designs in a wave, square, spere or a drum) or this

Which also comes clear

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I love the Panorama chandelier from West Elm. It looks great in real life.

[Contemporary Chandeliers[(https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-chandeliers-prbr1-br~t_607~s_2103) by Brooklyn Furniture & Accessories West Elm

Also the Mobile one

• sloedjinn
    9 years ago

I have the CB2 Firefly Pendant in my dining room. Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefly pendant

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Here's mine:

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

Mine has crystals out the wazu, but the straight lines of it make it go "contemporary". (Funny to see my DR like this, that was the old table and chairs that have now been replaced.)

• sas95
    9 years ago

This is ours:

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

robotropolis, I just ordered that same light, but flushmount from overstock for the hall in my entryway, do you really like it?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

chloe - yes! One thing to note is that the instructions say you need European size light bulbs, but you don't, just regular chandelier bulbs. I used philips LED (warm white) and they look good.

This does not give off the rainbow sparkles of a crystal chandelier like you can see in beekeeperswife's beautiful chandelier. I would say the shadow patterns are a bit more like water/raindrops but not pronounced, in fact the light generally seems pretty even and the strikingness is more from looking at the reflection/refraction in the bulbs themselves.

I like the warm rainbow-ey effect of crystal, so if I get a big raise some day I may go for crystal in the dining and move this to the foyer.

The quality is mid, about on par for the price. I wouldn't want to look too closely at the chrome after a few years and wouldn't wash the metal parts ever - but I am lazy so chances of me washing my chandelier are slight. It was surprisingly easy to assemble and comes with a few extra bulbs (to assemble it just goes big bulb/little bulb). I would say it's easy enough that I would hang first and then add the bulbs. An electrician installed it and I wasn't home that day, so I couldn't use my usual method of counting swears-per-minute to guage installation difficulty. But no complaints.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 13:23

• FSachs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I love your chandelier, robotropolis.

sas95, what is yours made of?

I'm going to try to get some pictures of my dining room furniture up here and hopefully get some further opinions.

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

Thanks robot!

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Was looking for something else and came across this pic of the light that looks like what nosoccermom likes so much and is always recommending ;-)