Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmarv1951

'The Ottoman' is finished...

mrsmarv
15 years ago

...and I am very pleased.

For those of you who have been following my ottoman story you know that I've constructed an ottoman/coffee table. I had ordered what I thought was the perfect fabric to complement our soon-to-be arriving sectional sofa. The fabric arrived and even though I loved the pattern, the background color was not going to work with the sectional or with our room and everything we have in it color-wise. From the description the background color was supposed to be a dark inky blue, but what it was was a dark olive-y green. It was just way too much green and the amount of blue in the pattern wasn't enough to offset that. Our sectional is a deep smoky blue, our wall color is "Beeswax", accents are other earth tones, including red, which is here and there throughout the house, and black. So I went on a fabric hunt (again...this is almost 2 months of fabric hunting) and found a beautiful 'contemporary' floral that is predominantly earth tones and a smattering of various shades of blues, including "The Smoky Blue" LOL. I'll be making accent pillows for the sectional from the same material. Three pillows come with it so I'll cover those when it arrives, which will be in 1 1/2 weeks...woohoo!

I was originally going to look for a solid fabric or a fabric that was predominantly blue for the ottoman, but since the sectional is going to be (ahem) a large amount of blue, I didn't want to overdose on the color. I also wanted to tie in the other colors of the room so it would blend (remember Marisa Tomei..."Yeah, you blend").

I'll post pics of the room in all its glory once the sectional arrives and the pillows are finished.

If anyone is interested in seeing the whole process from start to finish, I've linked it below.

So without further ado, here she is.

Fabric...

{{!gwi}}

Underside...

Ta-da!...

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The Ottoman (Part 1)

Comments (20)

• rockmanor
    15 years ago

Very nicely done! I'm impressed. Your ottoman is more cleanly finished underneath than many I've seen in stores, and your seams look perfect. You can rightly be proud of your work.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Wow -you should be enormously proud. It reminds me of my first thought after I constructed a padded headboard for my teen daughter. I instantly realized, "Well, the hard part is done, now I can easily make a slipcover anytime I want to change the look." Same for you, you could change the look at will, with the seasons if you wanted. REally nicely done. What size lumber did you use on the sides? Looks like 1x4s or 2x4s maybe? Maybe 1x6?

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

You should be very pleased! I love perfectly aligned seams. Great job!

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

Love your ottoman..great job! Do you mind if I ask where you found the fabric? It has all of the colors in my LR-and I am ready for a change!

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

You did a great job. That is very pretty fabric, too.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

Very nice job! Can I ask you -- in the 2nd picture -- which shows the feet -- what kind of tool did you use to attach that washer? I have a piece of furniture with that same washer and can't figure out how to remove it so that I can recover it. TIA

• mrsmarv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bestyears ~ It's 1 x 6 pine for the sides and 1 x 4 for the bottom braces (where the feet hardward is "sunk"). And yes, I can change out the fabric, although I'd do slipcovers because I wouldn't want to take apart the bottom fabric, tack strip and cover.

sharonfl ~ I got the fabric through fabricguru. I had to buy the whole yardage amount (almost 7 yards) because it was the only piece of that particular pattern they had. I wish I knew who the textile mill was for info, but alas, I don't. I'll have around 4 yards left after I make the pillow covers.

gracie01 ~ The "washer" is actually a threaded set screw for bun feet. I drilled a hole through the bottom brace and set the metal cylinder into the hole. The metal cylinder is threaded on the inside to screw the bun feet hardware into. At the top of the cylinder is the "washer", which has 4 "teeth" to hammer into the wood to stabliize it. I took the feet and hardware off an old ottoman because I knew I would be able to use them. Turns out they're the same style as the feet on our sectional...lucky me ;o)

• mrsmarv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And I should say "thank you" to all of you for your kind and uplifting comments!

• twizzis
    15 years ago

Just perfect...looks like a professional job!

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

Wow! It's beautiful. You did a very professional job. Don't you love that sense of accomplishment you get after successfully completing an ambitious project?

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Goodness, you did a very good job. It looks so professional. Can you come to my house next week? :-)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Beautiful job!! Can't wait to see the whole finished room with the new sofa and the matching cushions! It will be fantastic!

Very well done indeed! :)

Jan

• loribee
    15 years ago

Lovely!

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Beautiful job, it is perfect!

Joann

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Great job Mrs. Mary, you must be so pleased!

.....Jane

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Wow, you do excellent work. Can I send you my dining room chairs? LOL It looks beautiful.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

Impressive, it's beautiful !!!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

It looks Mrsmarrrrvelous! You, lady, are incredible. Take a huge bow. In fact, take several. Very few people would tackle a project like that from scratch but you did a quality job every step of the way. Now you get to enjoy it and be proud of yourself for years and years to come. WTG!

• mrsmarv
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awww, shucks ladies. You make a gal want to do a happy dance. I have to tell you that DH came downstairs this morning before work and asked, "Have you gone on 'your' forum yet? What else did they say?". I let him read the comments and he was absoultely tickled! Considering there are many of you who are the doyennes of substance and style, including some pros, he knows if there's honest critique, suggestions or praise to be given, I can count on the GW'ers for an honest opinion.
    Thank you one and all.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Thanks Mrsmarv! And yes, slipcovers is exactly what I meant!