Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kariwb_gw

Would love your window treatment advice!

kariwb
9 years ago

Hello! We have been in our home for ~6 months now, and I still have not been able to figure out what to do for window treatments in our dining area and would LOVE some help or feedback from some of you very talented decorators! We have a 4 panel glass patio door (two center panels open onto outer two panels), and a window on each side. I am thinking of roman shades on each of the small windows, but am waiting until we decide what to do with the patio door to order those. Privacy is not a concern and we want to maximize light. We will not close these treatments on the patio door - the door faces East and the screen porch already blocks direct sunlight. Just feel that the space is a little bare with no window treatment at all. Also including a picture of the kitchen, which the dining area is open to and which has white cabinets, dark countertops, and green accents. We like things clean and simple, but not stark. Please disregard the Easter explosion on the bar :)

Any and all advice or comments on window treatments or the space in general is more than welcome. Home decor is not my forte, although I love to be in space that is well decorated.

Comments (17)

• kariwb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wider shot of dining area

• kariwb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kitchen on the other side of the space

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow. what a pretty house. Love the indoor stone.

Personally, I'd leave the wall with the doors as it is - no blinds.

On the two windows, I'd put my beloved cordless white wood-slat blinds.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Since privacy is not an issue and you want max light I'd leave the windows without any treatments. If you really feel you need something, I would do a very simple valance or cornice coming down far enough just to cover the trim at the top of the window. Very pretty space as is!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I'd leave them bare unless you need privacy or light control. Possibly something simple on the side windows.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I, too, would leave the doors to patio bare. Then do your romans on the smaller windows. Or panels. Whatever suits you!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Though I agree with others that it looks beautiful the way it is kariwb, I completely understand your need for the softness of window treatments. Considering I'm a seamstress that specializes in sewing for the home, I tend to lean that way too.
    If it were my home, I'd make stationary panels that curve around the corners between the side windows and the doors to the sunroom and narrow panels on the outsides of the two side windows in a shade of green that brings the wall color from your kitchen into the dining room.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Doors bare, bamboo blinds or white linen Roman shades with a relaxed dip, probably mounted above the side windows, i.e. outside mount.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I would put drapes on the windows and leave the door naked. Hang your drapes high!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

What about some fabric on the chairs and table, i.e., cushions in the chairs that are soft and a table cloth of a linen fabric which is not too pretty nor too feminine, but just soft. I think your issue here is too much wood, too much glass, too much granite and not enough softness. I do like the way justgotabme has done the fabric but what about also using the same fabric to put some tie-in cushions on the chairs and maybe a cloth on the table, if only a runner or a diamond shape piece of fabric.

On a second look, I think your rooms are disparate and lack something to tie them together. It's like you decorated two separate places, not one big room, which would give you a look of cohesiveness. I am not sure curtains/drapes are going to do that. The green you have chosen for your outdoor room is quite sharp and the table is the (probably) opposite on the color wheel and it magnifies the hardness. I wonder if you changed your upholstery for the outdoor room if your rooms would bond better and give you a look you want without the draperies, etc. You need to tie the rooms together rather than dividing with a curtain.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 13:31

• kariwb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the great opinions and suggestions! We are very happy with the house, but I know it is still lacking some touches to make it cozy. We have two small children and I'm a stickler for a clean house, so any fabric covering for dining room chairs or table cloth is really out of the question. I love the drapy-er roman shades, and it's not something that is usually my style, but I think that softer look would look great in here. And of course, "leave it bare" is a great solution, and economical... that's what my husband has wanted all along :)

Thanks again. Additional comments/suggestions also welcome!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I suggested plain valances, but love Justgotobe's curved drape treatment..it's unique and really warms up the space.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like the view as is. You probably hate rugs but if you put a rug in the dining area it would make the room feel cozy. A centerpiece would be nice on the table. Even sitting out table mats would help.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Those windows and openings are awesome, kariwb! Leave them uncovered, untreated. Wow :)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I'd leave the windows naked but I'd put a rug under the table. The room does feel a bit bare and could use some color/pattern -- a rug will help with that, and will be less expensive (well, depending on what you choose) than custom window treatments. If you're concerned about spills from young kids, check out the indoor-outdoor rugs that are super easy to clean.

I'd bring that green color from the porch into the rug and also maybe some accessories in the kitchen.

• kariwb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everyone!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree, re: a rug under the table. I suggest one of the two Talavera rugs at Plow & Hearth here often. I think this one would be perfect for under your table and bring that greenery that is out your windows inside. (Also hide stains, and it's indoor/outdoor, so it's easy to clean).

Get a couple of nice ceramic pots, maybe in jewel tones, to go in each corner with a potted plant/tree of some kind.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure