Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thankful4advice

Paint recs for white/gray marble bathroom?

thankful4advice
11 years ago

Hi all! We are just about finishing up our new master bathroom and I'm considering gray paint for our walls, but am open to any suggestions. It's a bit tricky because the shower/bath tile walls are white marble with gray swirls/streaks and we have pale aqua glass tile borders. The floor is silver travertine with grays/beiges/creams but no real white in the stone. Do you think I could also go with a pale aqua paint for the walls? Any advice especially specific brand names and colors would be much appreciated.

Here are picture of the bathroom so far...

{{gwi:1408256}}

Here's the tub...

{{gwi:1408249}}

Close up of aqua tile color..

{{gwi:1408260}}

And here's the silver travertine floor and walls that need paint...

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

If you have a recessed vanity area, go with the palest of aqua there and then the very palest gray for the rest of the room. I love what you've done so far. Or, you could go with this pale aqua all over as it has a bit of gray in it and is sooo lovely

Here is a link that might be useful: very pale muted aqua

• yayagal
    11 years ago

If you have a recessed vanity area, go with the palest of aqua there and then the very palest gray for the rest of the room. I love what you've done so far.

• geogirl1
    11 years ago

We just used SW sea salt and one darker SW Comfort Gray. They reflect light differently, so you have to decide on each wall what would look best. However, it is a wonderful color and I think it would look great with your tile.

• thankful4advice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Vayagal and geogril1! Vayagal, the F&B Pale Powder sounds gorgeous! I think that's the type of color I'm needing...something mutable that changes from green/gray/blue. Thanks for the rec!

Thank you Geogirl1. I checked SW sea salt which reminds me of BM's quiet moments that everyone loves. I haven't seen SW Comfort Gray yet though and will definitely check that one out too.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

What is the overall look you're going for in the bathroom? Also, what is your plan for the vanity?

Personally, I love to let the tile stand out and keep a minimal palette. So I might look for a white paint that nearly matches the white in the marble tile. This would let the veining in the marble and the aqua accents stand out. (I am also biased towards white in the bathroom. I love the clean, minimal, fresh feel.)

Alternatively, I would look for a pale aqua lighter than your accent tile. That will still allow your tile to stand out, but would bring in more color to the room. Again it keeps the palette fairly minimal. I think a pale aqua would look really lovely in the room.

If you want to add more color, you could do a pale yellow. Or if you want to make the room moody and bold, you could do black or dark charcoal.

• thankful4advice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi pricklypearcactus. Thanks for the advice! I'm so horrible at picking colors so appreciate all the help I can get on this. The overall look I'm looking for is light, airy, and relaxing, if that helps at all. I'm open to any suggestions. I did pick a dark espresso vanity though with carrara marble countertop which I'm attaching a link to.

The only thing I'm concerned about with white paint is that our floor (silver travertine) doesn't really have any white in it. If I had to choose again, I would have done white marble floors, but now it's too late.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanity

• Emily
    11 years ago

We used BM's Gray Owl in our marble powder room. We love it.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Oh I love the colors posted so far! What a great room. You may also want to look at BM Pale Smoke pictured here:
    http://radiofreeanne.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/painting-complete/

Or here's Glidden Gentle Tide (from Young House Love via Boxerpups)

Don't give much weight to the computer simulator, either. Colors change so much in light that they can't really be experienced over a simulated computer screen. Get some ideas from here and then go look at actual paint chips and samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: A kitchen discussion with pretty blues

• thankful4advice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great link Jessicaml, thanks so much! I definitely will do actual sample tests before we paint. At this point it's difficult to narrow down what sample paint pots to purchase, but you guys on GW have been such a great help. Thanks again! :)