Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyellen602

Help me brighten up my dark kitchen - pics

amyellen602
16 years ago

First off I must begin by saying that I religiously read this site and I am amazed by the talent and insight you have. Last year I posted about my living room and I received some great tips. This year I am working on our kitchen. The dilemma I am having is that it seems very dark. The pictures below are darker than the kitchen actually is, but they are the only photos I have. They are from when we moved in about a year and a half ago, so please excuse the mess. The only requirement is...I must keep the dark cabinets. DH will not let me paint them. The house has an open floor plan so if I paint the kitchen it will have to go with the paint in the adjoining rooms.

Here is what I was thinking....I like the cottage feel, so I was thinking of going with a light green wall color. Any suggestions on a green paint? Then for the back splash I was leaning towards either beadboard or a white brick veneer. Should I look into under cabinet lighting? Are they easy to install? What about window treatments? I like to let as much natural light in as possible and I don't want to obstruct the view because I need to keep an eye on the kids when they are outside. (The eye sore out the windows has been removed) Please let me know if I am on the right track.

Comments (17)

• wodka
    16 years ago

I agree with Mariana - I think your present wall color complements your cabinetry, and with some improved lighting, your new beadboard etc., it will look great. As far as window treatments go, I love the look of plantation shutters, and you will easily be able to keep an eye on your kids when they are open....

• teacats
    16 years ago

I agree with the excellent suggestions above -- the cabinets and the wall color are really lovely! Other color suggestions would depend on the rest of your choices -- fabrics etc. that are used in the adjoining spaces like the family room .....

Updated photos would really really help us --- to help you ...... so we can "see" all of your fabrics and accessories etc.

Will you be changing your countertops? Just wondering because our advice may impact on that color too .... I do like beadboard or fresh white subway tile .... but again -- the choices depend on the countertop ......

Adding additional "puck-style" under-cabinet lighting might help too! As well as small accent lamps that sit on the inner corners of the breakfast bar etc. And of course -- lots of lamps in the family room area too!

On the top of your cabinets -- a trio or two of fresh plain white ironstone would help too -- maybe a platter (on a stand) OR a trio of white milk or cream jugs?

Jan

• amyellen602
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all for your advice. As of right now the counter tops are staying. The current light fixture that is in there is actually sitting on the back counter in the first picture. It is the bowl shaped thing. I think the main problem with that light is that it has an amber glass which is blocking the light. I will definitely be replacing it. I will also head to Lowes this weekend to check out the under cabinet lighting. DH is actually very handy with stuff like that, it's just getting him to do it. lol Thanks all for your advice again. I always like to hear someone else's perspective.

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I bought my undercabinet lights at Lowes.
    For the ceiling - look for something with white glass (as long as it doesn't clash with your pendants) and I know Lowes has some that are 3 - 100w bulbs.
    You have enough down light with the pendants and recessed lights, you need something to light up the ceiling.
    Something similar to this.

• marciagaye
    16 years ago

If this is not a two story house, take a look at sun-tubes. We have 2 of them and love the light it brings into the house.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

I agree with much of what has been said above. I like your wall color and cabinets. Having more general lighting will help, particularly the undercabinet lighting. I have both under and over and they are great. I'd prefer to see more recessed lighting in the center of the kitchen than any kind of semi-flush fixture. If at all you can add a skylight or a sun-tube, it would make all the difference. I have two skylights in my kitchen and I love it! Sun-tubes, can even be added in two-story homes, though the routing/light becomes more indirect. As for WT I'd be leary of any kind of shutters if you already find the lighting to be less than adequate. I have the 2" wood blinds thoughtout much of my house which I leave down and open so I can see it. It does, however, cause less light to come in through the windows than if they are pulled up. I think roman shades would look nice.

• mhanna
    16 years ago

If I were you I would buy a nice piece of long/large track lighting that will match your existing fixture color in the other areas. This way you can add several lights along the straight or curved strip of lighting without having to add new fixures all over.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Skylights.

• msrose
    16 years ago

I'd like to know what your current wall color is. It's really pretty.

Laurie

• amyellen602
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Why didn't I ever think of the track lighting? I totally forgot about those things. I do like roman shades so I will look into those. The Wall color is Sherwin Williams Whole Wheat. Gosh, thanks everyone again for your ideas. I am eager to get things started.

• jerzeegirl
    16 years ago

I was thinking track lighting also. It doesn't always have to imply a contemporary style, either. We had a track light in one house that we hung a Tiffany pendant from as well as some directional cans. The kitchen was much like yours and it looked great.

• jjhung
    9 years ago

Just wondering if you have the after photo you can share?

• Jennie Pierson- Stilts
    8 years ago

I would love to see your after photo... I too have a dark kitchen that I desperately want to lighten up.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think maybe I would paint the walls a lighter shade of the same color, and maybe change the shades of the pendant lights so they are lighter and brighter. I also wonder what kind of bulbs that you have in your light fixtures. Could they be a higher wattage? That would brighten things up a bit. I also don't see a backsplash. A backsplash with some lite reflective glass tile would brighten things up a lot I think. When doing the backsplash, I would add a metallic piece to it. The shine from the metal in the backsplash along with the glass tile will reflect a lot of light and bounce it around some. You might also consider getting some clear glass shades for the chandelier over the kitchen table. That would also bounce some light around. I have a lighter shade of gold in my kitchen and family room and I love it too.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Oh, I didn't realize your post was from 2008. You probably don't need my comments after all.

• gbrenna86
    8 years ago

I just did my kitchen. I love to cook and have the double oven and big cooktop etc. I did not want white cabinets because the last ones I had yellowed near the stove. Thus, I went with coffee color and have black accents...quite dark (will post a picture soon- almost done). The wall is mostly cabinet covered to give me the most storage...light walls. However I put a ton of light into the room... what a difference it makes...recessed ceiling lights, fixtures and even a ceiling fan (modern) It changed the entire kitchen. Kitchens that don't get much natural light need lots of electrical lights.