Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Pool locations (Dedtired et al)

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Dedtired,

I read something from your other post and wanted to ask you about your experience, and anyone else's.

We are adding a pool to our Maine house. We have a large grassy lawn gently sloping from the house down to the ocean, and it kind of has three large tiers, if you will.
The pretty lawn, trees and landscaping can be hard to find oceanfront and that is one of our favorite things about the house.

The pool people think the pool should go closest to the house, but I don't for several reasons:
1. I don't like looking at closed pools off season, and this would be right in front of our verandah.
2. We would have to move our existing septic, which given the complexities of siting and soil and rock, could cost an additional 20-30k or even more.
3. Id rather have the pool next to the ocean for the views.

So, my plan is that the first tier of the lawn (which also has a shuffleboard court to one side) will be for croquet, volleyball, etc. The second tier will be gardens, bordered by a low, old stone wall. The last tier will have the pool, stone wall on one side and ocean on the other. It will be about 125 feet IIRC from the house to the beginning of the pool area. We cannot build a poolhouse because of view easements.

There are obviously drawbacks to it being so far, but I think all in all it is the best choice. Safety is a concern, but in our old house the pool was also out of sight (though not far away) and in our current primary house the (indoor) pool is also not visible. It's just something you need to be mindful of. The way i look at it, it's jus the matter of a little extra exercise and it'd makes it harder to snack (good!). I'd be curious about other people's experiences.

Comments (18)

• roarah
    9 years ago

I put our pool atleast 100ft from my house and adore it that way! I did it to save a 85 year old Japanese maple and because that is how it would have been done if put in in the 1920s. I have a changing cabana tent, Barbecue, and fridge in the pool area and love that by the time little feet go from the pool to the house the are not dripping wet! I use large tote baskets to carry things we need to the pool and back and it feels like I am away from home for the day once we are in the pool area! I would not have it any other way.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, Roarah, that is really comforting to hear! Thanks for posting. I kind of feel there is something grand and old fashioned about a stroll to the pool, too. In a perfect world, it would have a lovely privet hedge and white picket gate, yes? I will get back to you in 30 years on that one!

I like your idea of a tent; I think we can do tents or I was even thinking a pergola with vines .

And you are a girl after my own heart, saving the tree. In our first house I made them shoehorn a pool in that was then surrounded by pines, magnolias, a maple tree and we even kept the dogwood by subsuming it into the patio. Made for a heck of a job keeping the pool clean, but the one thing money cannot buy is a grand, old tree.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Oh..an infinity pool that looks like it runs right into the ocean would be stunning!

I think your plan is fine, but I would definitely want a kitchenette type area to store snacks and drinks and maybe a barbecue as well as changing cabanas to avoid as many wet bodies and suits in the house as possible.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx, Joanie.

Roarah, do you have any cabana photos by chance? And is your refrigerator stand alone or part of an outdoor kitchen?

thanks!

• roarah
    9 years ago

I can not find a cabana photo, but I thought I had some. I will continue to look...but it is an inexpensive tent I found on amazon a few years ago and we added a teak tile floor for it and a small bench, old backer's rack with towels, sunscreen, mirror and all the young girls love changing in it:). I do have pics of the flooring I used for I used it in our out door shower as well.

The fridge is, at present, a stand alone cheapo one for we have not yet built the outdoor kitchen of my dreams. I have linked the one I have. It has held up well but was only used one summer so far.

Here is the teak flooring I used under the cabana, it really made a big difference in making the tent feel more like a changing room. I will continue to look for a photo of it for it will be a few more weeks yet before we put it back up:(.

Here is a link that might be useful: my fridge

This post was edited by roarah on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 20:11

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

The only down side that I can see with the location is distance to a bathroom. A cabana can serve every purpose but that!

Can you at least build a low fence or something to disguise the pump, filter, heater, etc.?

Storage boxes for pool toys and cleaning equipment could double as seating, and save a lot of trips to the house.

Finally, can I come over when it's done? A pool overlooking the ocean sounds fantastic!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Will it be mostly your family using it? Family members with little kids? Older people? I like having my pool close to the house for bathroom trips for little ones, forgotten things, etc It is an easy walk for grandparents, etc. But we use it all summer daily, not just on special occasions or weekend trips. I have two under 5 and have young kids and grandparents over a lot. :)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Our pool was set a fair distance from the house, with woods on three sides. It is downhill from the house and of course surrounded by a fence. In front of the fence were large azaleas so you really could not see the pool from the first floor of the house. Now the deer have decimated the azaleas but back when the pool was in use, they did the job.

It's just so nice to not see the pool in the winter, with the cover and inevitably leaves and other gunk on it. We did not mind walking back and forth from the house. It gave the kids a nice long run before cannonballing into it. Frankly, if I had to pee, I just went behind the storage shed. There was no one around to see you.

Your idea sounds like it will work. What a luxury to float around in the pool and gaze out at the ocean.

Some day I will post a picture of the pool today. I'm not kidding when I say it is a frog pond.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roarah,
    Thank you for the fridge link, and i love that teak floor!

Annkh,
    Yes, we will put them behind lattice or somesuch. As for the bathroom, alas. Of course my DH always remarks at the remarkable bladder control of our child guests whilst swimming. ; )
    Yes, of course you can visit. But you will have to wait till next year when the landscaping has recovered from pool construction.

Dedtired, the frog pond sounds like something out of Grey Gardens, LOL

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I see no down side to having it away from the house, esp. if you're able to put in a dressing too with a bathroom in there.

The only thing I wouldn't want to run back and forth for would be ice ,since in the summer it melts so quickly. So I'd consider putting an ice maker and a little fridge out there.

I think you want make sure the pool isn't noticeable from a road or a public beach or anything like that so that teenagers don't jump the fence if you're away, or at night while you're sleeping. down side of a pool being a distance from a house is that you might not hear such sounds, esp. i f you have AC and the windows are closed. Hopefully you prefer the wonderful ocean air anyway!.

I have clients who have a camera installed so they can see the pool when they're away at their beach house. Something else to consider. Even just the presence of a camera will keep people who aren't supposed to be there out.

I think the idea of swimming by the ocean is wonderful, while also not having to look at a closed up pool in the winter. Also, if you have a dog or dogs, you can open the door in winter and there is still lawn for him/her to play on.

• ppbenn
    9 years ago

Mtn try a compost toilet or an electric toilet, they are clean and green!
    I'm putting one in my new barn. I love that your pool will be a destination spot and not the star of the show.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, ppbenn, I'm glad you mentioned the compost toilet! I meant to do so in my post and forgot!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I cannot build a pool house, though, due to view easements. So unless it was plein air...

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The idea of a fun changing cabana tent makes me think of all those striped tents on the beach in seaside towns in England in the 30's, with Punch and Judy shows and men wearing straw hats. I like that you can take it down at the end of the season, and have seen lots of teak pathways and flooring sections in gardening catalogues, what a clever idea.

I would not put any appliances in, but that's me. And instead of lugging a big cooler down there you could keep a variety of soft lunch sized ones in your pantry or fridge, each person could choose waters and a few snacks to take on their trip to the pool, and be responsible for bringing the trash/ empty bottles/ apple cores back up to the house in the same lunchbox. Less of a production, iykwim.

Adding link below to blog of a homeowner who did a cabana at her pool that looked in a somewhat remote location from the house. She has lots of pictures. If two smaller ones, maybe separate boys and girls?

Here is a link that might be useful: Homeowner blog about pool cabana tents

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 9:56

• bestyears
    9 years ago

mtn, what are the fence restrictions in the town? Would the pool be separately fenced?

• roarah
    9 years ago

My cabana is not nearly as nice as the ones Kswl has posted. It is small, I think 5x5 and I only did one but I like the idea of two, I might try that this year:). I found a picture of ours and I think amazon still sells a similar one but in beige, which I would have picked if at the time they had them:(. I know they can be made custom too but the quotes were to high for our simple yard and house.
    Are you allowed to make a box out of fencing in your location? Our shower is surrounded by 6x6 fence paneling. It is not as romantic as a cabana but it could be an option if you wanted to hide a composting toilet and have a changing room also. I have seen pool equipment hidden nicely this way too.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for the beige 5x5 cabana to purchase.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

mtn- at our previous home one of our neighbors had a terraced back yard and they placed the pool and tennis court in the tier which was the furthest from the house. Our yards were wooded so privacy wasn't a concern but like you she didn't want to see the pool from the house. She installed a meandering path and decorative landscape lights through the gardens and down to the pool. It really was a lovely little stroll from the house to the pool area.

This may seem odd - but do you have good cell phone reception at your beach house - and at the pool site? If you have a reliable signal you could easily communicate between the two locations.

When my neighbor built his pool our cell phone reception was spotty so they ran a landline to the pool area. The contractor dug a trench and ran a PVC pipe from the house to the pool area. They put the electric, telephone and cable lines through the pipe, filled the trench with sand, soil and then topped with sod.

Our lots were oversize and they used a golf cart to transport things back and forth.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maire, Thanks for your input! I think reception is good but will have to doublecheck when we are up next.

Roarah, I think pergolas, tents, and lattice enclosures are all fine.

Best, Meeting with the contractor soon to determine. We may want more fencing for our dog, anyway. She's a golden and very reliable but it just makes you rest easier when you have a fence.

KWSL, those are so cute! I don't think though, we will need a place to change. It's not like we would have big parties with lots of people; we don't know anyone up there. Most people who would swim would be staying in the house i think.