Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoyamom_gw

Spring pics - river rock fountain - OT

hoyamom
16 years ago

I wanted to share some pictures that DH took of the river rock fountain that we put in the backyard. The flowers are so pretty now - spring has actually arrived!! The last picture is neat because you can see the water droplets. I know this is off-topic but I thought this was so pretty!

Comments (12)

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

What a cool fountain!!! Gorgeous shots and I'm so jealous of your spring - still waiting for ours!

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! Do you live in a botanical garden? The flowers (and fountain) are just gorgeous! What kind of flowers are they--and could you send them to me already blooming so that I wouldn't mess them up?

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Wow---really beautiful!!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Very nice! Where did you find your fountain?

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fairy- The name of the flowers are creeping phlox and they are perennials. We bought them 2 years ago and they are sure growing!! I have to keep cutting them back. After they bloom (until mid-May) they are green and stay green (green/brown in the winter). It's a nice border plant.

We had the river rock fountain in the front yard but it was too small so we moved it to the back and bought a taller one of the same type for the front. With the new one, DH buried the black "tub" and put a grate on top and black river rock so it looks like the water is going into the ground - really cool. I will take a picture of the one in the front but it is raining (hard) today. We bought both fountains from a place in Fairfax called Merrifield Gardens. They have a bunch of different sizes.

Here are some pictures of the transition. We like to sit out on the patio and we wanted a fountain so we bought this little one with the ball on top. Well, you can see what happened - it was overtaken by the plants. The first pic is of the purple sage that over took it and then the daisies were next - they come later in the summer. We'll see how it goes this summer now that the bigger fountain is in there and I have pulled up a lot of those daisies.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I really do appreciate your posting of the river rock one especially because I'm making a bench with river rock on concrete and some teak stakes for seat surface and I just couldn't envision how it would look with the pebbles mounted that way instead of flat. I really like it :) and will probably steal the overlapping look. A question: can you tell whether the rocks are cut to be flat on the mounting side? Or is it just a really thick layer of thinset holding the rounded-edge rocks in?

Thanks!

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Flyleft - hey I asked DH and he said they are just mounted on there without being cut. That should save you some work! LOL I think it is beautiful in the sunlight when the water is cascading down and I bet your benches will be awesome!! Please post pictures when you are finished with your project.

Pictures of the front fountain - some plants haven't come up yet so it looks kind of bare in the front. You can just barely see the hostas coming up.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I love that fountain! I saw it a couple of weeks ago at the home and garden show and fell in love.

If only I had half of your gardening skills. It's beautiful, thanks for sharing.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Thanks for asking your DH, hoyamom :) Actually, I was kind of hoping they'd be cut, because we're talking about adding some serious depth to this bench. But I'll try it. I showed DD the pics (she's my partner in this) and she was completely excited about getting started.

I did love your garden pics, too, btw. Some very happy phlox you've got there. Do you by any chance garden organically?

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting, absolutely beautiful. I couldn't grow phlox in my region for a second. I envy people who can grow those dainty flowers without worry they will fry! We go from winter to summer. I think Spring is about a week long here. LOL

When I was able to do a lot of gardening I use to plant tulips and other delicate flowers. I was able to enjoy them for about a week before they were ruined by the unpredictable weather down here.

• User
    16 years ago

I LOVE your garden ! Wow that phlox...mine was gorgeous but it is already finished. It never lasts very long here. You have an amazing green thumb.

Flyleft: I didn't understand what you are doing with a bench. I have teak leftover and would love to see a pic of what you are doing. c

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really don't have any gardening skills. I putter around in that garden but DH does everything else. He likes doing stuff like that. I don't garden organically - sometimes I will put some miraclegro on the plants but it's not a regular thing. I would not call myself a gardener. LOL

Flyleft - let me know if there is any other question you need answered before you start your project. Yes, and please post pictures!!