Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mea5

New vintage can sofa, needs some work - suggestions please!

mea5
12 years ago

Just found this great cane sofa, exactly what I was looking for to go in my sunroom! It needs a little work, but overall in good condition. Definitely a new cushion and likely a new paint job. What would you do?

PS. If anyone has worked with a cushion replacement company that they can recommend it would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: cane sofa

Comments (10)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Great find! It doesn't look like it needs painting, but I like the darker color vs. white. Is the caning in good shape? There are people who restore caning.

There are so many great indoor/outdoor fabrics. I would contact an antique store (the local one I use does upholstery and did a fabulous job on the wing chair) or else try to get some referrals in your area.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

A good upholsterer could make you a new cushion or cover that one.

Wonderful find! Hard to make recommendations without seeing the room where you plan to put it.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Can you post the picture here? I love cane and would love to see it. My security software warned me not to go to the site you posted. (It said "risky")
    Dee

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

That is amazing. I love it.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Wow, love that! If the foam is in decent shape, yes, it could just be recovered. If it needs to be replaced, I would definitely keep it as one large piece. I recently redid my family room sofa, and replaced the seat cushions with one large piece of foam. It's everyone's favorite sleeping spot now! I bought my foam here in Houston, from a place called the Foam Store -they have an internet site as well. I would meet with an upholsterer first and see what their thoughts are.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I think it is lovely. What a great find.

Dee - the link is just to imageshack.us and the photo album. Your security program is too uptight. :)

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

What a great find mea5! As for the cushion, whether or not the cushion itself needs to be replaces a good seamstress could do that for you. Hancock fabrics have business cards of local seamstresses in their stores if you don't know of one. I'd call a few and get estimates and ask to see samples of their work first. As a seamstress myself I'm always happy to share my work when a prospective client asks.
    Hancock Fabrics also sells upholstery grade foam, but if you want memory foam you can purchase mattress pads to be cut to size and layered for the proper height for a super comfy cushion.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Thanks, lolauren. I'm happy I get to see, too.

Uptight..too funny! That's probably true, but I've never had a virus so I usually heed its warnings.

That is one gorgeous sofa. It's going to look fantastic in your sunroom. I especially love the legs.

I agree with the others. A good upholsterer can make cushions for you. Mine had to redo one of our sunroom wicker sofa cushions when a few years ago our puppy decided to disembowl it and scatter it throughout the room after she was confined there for a couple of hours.
    Dee

• mea5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw on Southern hospitality blog a distressing technique that I may try. I posted it (as well as many others on pinterest.) http://pinterest.com/pin/253538653991844736/

The cushion it came with could probably be reused, but I just want something comfier. I want this to be a cozy place to read and hangout.

The cane has one small tear, and there is one spot that the frame needs some wood glue and a nail or two.

Thanks bestyears for the recommendation on one piece of foam, that was one of my questions!

Hoping to find a good deal on the foam part, as I have a seamstress that could make the cover. I found this site for foam, anyone know anything about them? http://www.newreplacementfoamsofacouchcushions.com/p17-Standard-New-Replacement-Foam-for-Sofa-and-Couch-Cushion.html

I posted a pic of the room it will be in (they don't need to match the window treatments, because I want to replace those too)

Here is a link that might be useful: sunroom

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Distress it? Are you sure? I like the dark finish on it as is, well I mean refinished the same.