Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnspin_gw

reupholstery

lynnspin
10 years ago

I recentlyreupholstered a dining set from the 70's. I'm wondering what type of decor to use? The set is glass and chrome. The fabrics is a Smokey blue with cream and powder blue designs.

Comments (7)

• Laurie
    10 years ago

lynnspin - The set looks really nice! Did you do the reupholstery yourself or did you hire someone? All of those button tufts would have taken me forever. It all appears well done.

I like your fabric color & pattern choice. On my monitor it looks smooth...is it a vinyl?

I'm wanting to put something on top of the glass table. Maybe a bowl with some decorative ceramic/glass balls/spheres?

Possibly change the overhead light fixture?

• lynnspin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laurie! My husband and I did the chairs ourselves. The fabrics is 100% polyester. It feels very silky. Unfortunately, my cats have decided to run their claws along one if the chairs and the fabric snags very easily! I like your idea of putting a bowl with some orbs in it. Definitely want a new light fixture as well. Thanks for your ideas!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Kudos to you and your dh for doing the chairs, yourself! You did such a nice job.

Sorry to hear your cats ran their claws on one of them : (
    Hopefully, someone on this site who has cats can give suggestions for ways of avoiding that situation. Maybe there's a repellent that's safe for fabrics? Do you have any of that leftover fabric?

• bananafana
    10 years ago

Wow! You guys did an awesome job and I really like the fabric you chose.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

What about a fabric drum shape pendant? I would go with a white or ivory fabric and use a chrome or satin nickel finish. Fabric drapery panels will soften the room. From your pictures, it looks like you have drapery.

Do you have any art or decor for the walls? Maybe a mirror?
    Any other furniture pieces that are currently in the dining area that you would like to keep?

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Round Shade Pendant

• lynnspin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We do have some leftover fabric. Not sure what to do with it! I like the link with the pendant lighting! Do you think a glass bowl or wooden bowl would look nice?

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I would prefer a wood (or other natural fiber...jute or rattan for example) bowl.
    If there is a wood piece of furniture in the same room, I would try and use a similar tone/color (if there's a dark wood buffet, I'd use a dark wood or fiber bowl.

Size of bowl is a consideration, too. Cut out various sizes of paper (of the bowls you like) and lay them on the table one at a time. Stand back and see which size looks right to you.

I am not a decorator but these are just my opinions. You are the best judge of what makes you happy and you should follow your heart when you create your space. You have a beautiful start with your "new" dining table & chairs!

I found a short article (linked below) which gives guidelines/ideas for a glass top table. If you scroll down, you'll see some suggestions for using colored glass jars.

Hope this helps : )

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Centerpiece Ideas for a Glass Top Dining Table