Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumberry_gw

favorite home decor blogs

plumberry
10 years ago

what are your favorite home d�cor blogs, besides the obvious "gardenweb" which I'm obsessed with.

Comments (38)

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Pure Style Home (Lauren Liess) is my favourite, but I'm a bit hesitant to say because I seem to have the kiss of death when it comes to blogs. There have been many that I've followed and loved and then they end up closing up shop. Urban Grace was my hands down favourite that no longer blogs. Another good one is Nam Dang Mitchell - I like that she also posts clothing, music and other bits and bobs.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

The Inspired Room
    Nesting Place
    Decor8
    Holly Mathis Interiors
    How About Orange (just recently discovered)
    Elements of Style

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Cote de Texas

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Oh, and Honey & Fitz.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Cote de Texas and Color outside the Lines (either of which will take me to the best of the blogs).

• User
    10 years ago

Not really a design blog, but I just LOVE Hooked on Houses. I mean, I really love it! Also Cote de Texas and I like Lauren Liess as well,

I'm not a big fan of sites like Young House Love, mainly because they are like some people who have babies with the attitude that no one else has ever managed to give birth before without their Special Knowledge. Also probably because I am not young and am far removed from that first house life :-)

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Nesting Place
    Holly Mathis
    Emily A. Clark
    My Sweet Savannah
    Dear Lillie
    For the Love of a House (gorgeous home and antiques)
    Tuesdays with Dorrie
    Forever Cottage
    Oliver and Rust
    Miss Mustardseed
    Savvy Southern Style (although be warned, although I love her home, this blogger is constantly buying and re-doing)

Yes, I do love me some blogs . . .

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

LOL kswl, that is the perfect example. I was surfing through a blog party yesterday and one of the linked blogs posted about how to fix a wallowed out screw hole by putting match sticks in it. I thought: gee, doesn't everyone know that?, but they posted it with great detail as if they had just created the technique.

• localeater
    10 years ago

LOL- about the screw hole. I must say there are way too many things I thought were common knowledge that arent, particularly as I get older. It is not infrequent that I am dealing with a new employee or intern and I hear, ' I sent him three emails but he hasnt responded.' and I say 'have you tried calling' or worse, 'you do know he sits right behind you- have you tried walking over to his desk'
    It's a virtual world.

• User
    10 years ago

For the Love of a House
    In the Fields (used to be A Country Farmhouse)
    High Street Market
    Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
    Remodelista
    Apartment Therapy
    The Painted House
    Making It Lovely
    Milk& Honey Home
    Smitten Studio
    Trendir (not sure if it is considered a blog)
    Design Milk

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Forgot one that I love for many reasons: Between Naps on the Porch.

• Em11
    10 years ago

I like Cote de Texas, TartanScot, Hooked on Houses, and a few that are not only decorating, but more lifestyle blogs such as the Polo House, Reggie Darling, the Blue Remembered Hills, and Jennings and Gates.

I have to echo kswl's opinion. Some of the blogs seem to be so alike that it's hard to tell a difference. Everything is blue-gray, and all kitchens have to be white. It's gotten to where every time the blogger shows her new bedroom or dining reveal on a friend's house, I know it's going to be a newly painted blue-gray room, painted furniture, and signs everywhere telling the viewer to "eat" or "relax. Don't get me wrong, I love blue-gray. My bedroom is blue-gray, and I love chalk painted furniture. But it's not the only way to decorate.

I'm looking forward to the comments on this post, as I need some reading material recommendations. Some of the blogs I read seem to be slowing down.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Em11, I agree and even Cote de Texas, is falling into the trap of blue/greige and I am now following, more closely, Color Outside the Lines and Between Naps on the Porch, I loved the gray, the beige, the neutral green and soft whites but a decade is enough.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I think I ALMOST saw a wall painted a color in Style at Home the other day. I blinked and it turned out to be a mirage but I live in hope.

• ttodd
    10 years ago

I've really pared down on my decorating blogs. Those that I now regularly check in on have been noted above except Life In the Fun Lane. I don't think that I saw that one mentioned.

Oh and I like Modern Country Style Blog. Lots of grey - sorry. That's why I like Life In the Fun Lane. She adds splashes of color. I like both styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Country Style

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 16:23

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Mrs. Blandings
    Little Green Notebook
    A Bloomsbury Life

I also really treasure the photos pinned by Lindajane Keefer. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: LJK on Pinterest

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Love a lot already mentioned but check out Home Is Where The Boat Is. I think she is brilliant!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks, Plum for starting this thread.

I'd forgotten all about Victoria Elizabeth Barnes, who I totally want to be when I grow up.

And, besides, I really needed more ways to waste my time.

: )

• Em11
    10 years ago

The Modern Country blog looks nice. It's not that I don't like gray. I love it, actually. But maybe I was just reading too many blogs that were all alike. The Modern Country one actually looks kind of fresh. I also added Color Outside the Lines to my reading list.

• ttodd
    10 years ago

Yes - I did find the Modern Country blog to not be the same ole same ole. I get fresh ideas from it.

Looking forward to checking out some more of these blogs. My new HP Split laptop is not the most conducive to saving stuff to favorites and easily retrieving them. And I can't Pin. :( Or not so I've been able to figure out yet.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

Design Indulgence
    Simple Details
    Dimples and Tangles
    Evolution of Style
    Calling It Home-currently, this blogger has coordinated a 6 week "One Room Challenge" where a dozen bloggers tackle one room in their home needing an update and blog each week on their progress.

• User
    10 years ago

I think that following people on pinterest, like the link to LJ Keefer that Anele posted, is sometimes even better than reading through blogs. I love looking at Victoria Elizabeth Barnes's pins, and Kelly Robson from High Street Market. Katy Elliott is my favorite, she used to blog.
    Hope that this isn't considered a highjack, but do any of you have favorites that you follow on pinterest, specifically for home decor ideas?

• FSachs
    10 years ago

Wow, most of these blogs are new to me. More ways to procrastinate. Thanks!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Athomeinva, I am the same. Blogs are sometimes a lot for me to keep up with (even my own, haha!) and I like just sitting and studying photos . . .I could do that all day.

Then I get the urge to try to arrange things . . .furniture, random objects . . .

I was already following VEB on Pinterest but Katy Elliot and Kelly Robson are new to me. Following them now. Thank you!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

KSWL, we must be of the same generation. The only time I was on that blog I thought pretty much the same thing.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

delete - double post

This post was edited by zen4d on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 5:37

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Cote de Texas, Things That Inspire

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Fun to learn about these sites, thanks to everyone for sharing!

One that I enjoy and often find quite enlightening is Copycat Chic, which tries to match high end with often-identical bargain or at least more reasonable decor items. I am sometimes amazed to see the SAME thing from 2 places with such different price points. Guess that is what all you Homegoods aficionados have known for awhile, you smart people.

I quit reading Young House Love for awhile, and just resubscribed for much the same reasons others list. The projects are often pretty basic. However, I think that couple does a great job of thoroughly explaining and documenting exactly how to do whatever it is they are doing. And I also think their online personalities are so darn cute :).

For Love of a House leaves me in awe that someone has created such beauty. That house! Those antiques! I would never in a million zillion years live in New Hampshire but oh what a dream she has created.

Used to love A Country Farmhouse but the blogger moved, is now living in a rental and I just discovered from this conversation that she has a renamed her blog (I've still been getting ACF posts). Maybe there's more going on at the new site, will have to check it out.

• Jules
    10 years ago

House of Turquoise
    Coastal Style
    French Grey
    Velvet and Linen

• Jules
    10 years ago

BTW, my favorite blog reader is Newsify. Feels like I'm reading a magazine.

• peony4
    10 years ago

I've greatly reduced my time on blogs because too many seem to post just for the sake of posting. (Unfortunately, the new blog from the former A Country Farmhouse seems to be heading in this direction.)

But I do read For the Love of a House. She doesn't post often, but when she does, it's meaningful and substantial. From her site, I will also click on Cote de Texas, not because I like her style but because her posts are always informative. Always.

My all-time favorite blog entry, though, is this one... Every time I go back to it, I'm in awe. Never have I seen such wonderful kitchen inspiration in a single post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finding Home Kitchen Staff

• loribee
    10 years ago

"I also really treasure the photos pinned by Lindajane Keefer. "

WOW, wonderful inspiration here! Thank you!

• User
    10 years ago

I wouldn't say that Trina of A Country Farmhouse is now posting just to post, I just think that her posts are much different because her life has changed so much. I think that she is now posting short, simple posts that show minor and inexpensive changes that they are making to the rental house to make it their own and she is focusing on the beauty that she finds in her life. I may be completely wrong, but her posts seem a bit blue. My last move left me out of sorts for a very long time so I can imagine that it is an adjustment period in her life that is being reflected in her blogging. Anyway, I still enjoy reading her blog and hope that she continues.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for this . . .I am looking at "For the Love of a House" right now and it's lovely.

Peony, I like the combo of an architect and designer in the link you shared.

Loribee: :)

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I am not sure if anyone mentioned Paloma's site, La Dolce Vita.

And

Maison 21

Met both of these bloggers at Design Conference last year. Very nice people, and really great stuff.

(I'm giving away a ticket to this year's Design Camp on my (totally lame) blog soon. If you are interested, shoot me an email, I'll link you to the blog. And if you did already do so, but aren't getting updates, you may not have confirmed your subscription. Lots of people asked, but only a handful "confirmed". Just lookin' out for my peeps.

~Bee

beekeeperswife at gmail dot com

• carolt924
    10 years ago

The Decorologist
    Southern Hospitality

• teeda
    10 years ago

Peony, those kitchens featured on Finding Home are absolutely gorgeous.

I enjoy the blog My Best Friend Craig. This woman has a great eye for Craig's List treasures.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Best Friend Craig blog