Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honeycomb shades?

Posted by designnov (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 9:28

I'd like to put insulating honeycomb shades in all the bedrooms, but Im not sure where to start. Can anyone recommend a good retailer or brand that is decent quality without spending a fortune? Also, if you have them, do you really notice an effect from the insulation factor? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honeycomb shades?

I've always bought Hunter Douglas and I've been very happy with the quality and support they provide. Yes, you do notice the insulation factor. In bedrooms I used the room darkening shades. Lots of options like bottom-up/top-down or the Duolite that has 2 blinds in one, so you can have an opaque fabric and a sheer. Look on their website for a HD Gallery - this showroom will have all the blinds on display. JC Penny also has displays, as do Home depot and Lowes.

o

We had the hunter Douglas duettes for 20 years and loved them. Cat used to use the cords as "dental floss" and chew through them...hunter Douglas has free repair kits do we were able to restring them ourselves. But I loved how they pulled up so tight that they became invisible. They did keep it warmer, but I'm not sure how much vs any other solid window cover.

o

A friend of mine has Levolour from Lowe's and likes hers. They have the cordless which is nice.

o

Which ever shade you decide to go with, be it Bali, Levolour, Comfortex, etc. Before you buy from a big box store, get on your computer and check on the internet sites, I have had good luck with Americanblinds and Stevesblindsandwallpaper(I have ordered and had good experiences with them). You can literally save hundreds of dollars. You can go to the big box stores and get an idea of the fabric and colors to choose from, get a quote from them, and go home and search the web for the best price available.

If you are able to do your own measuring and do not require anyone to come to your house personally, the internet is the way to go.

Years ago I did my kitchen with wovenwood shades and panels from Jcpenny, only to find while messing around on the internet the next day, I could have saved over $800.00 ordering the same brand, same color, same functions from Stevesblindsandwallpaper. (still makes me sick to my stomach to think about it). Once you sign that paper for special order shades you are stuck.

I just don't want that to happen to anyone else.

However, Hunter douglas does not sell or advertise prices on the internet anymore. They used too.

o

I agree with shopping the internet sites. I do it routinely when buying window coverings. I recently ordered from blindsexpress.com. Other sites to try are blindsgalore.com and justblinds.com. I have ordered from all three sites and the service has been great.

o

We got our Bali cellular room darkening blinds from stevesblindsandwallpaper.com and they were very good. Also arranged an installer, who was awesome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here