Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
browngr_gw

Need HELP choosing Living Room Paint Color

browngr
16 years ago

I am trying to do a new Paint Job in my home, but am really struggling finding the right color. My home has very light carpet, and has a lot of natural lighting. My living room furniture is dark brown leather with light brown cushions and the fireplace mantle and fireplace border is oak. My living room is connected with my kitchen that has cream almost white cabinets and oak hard wood floors. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it because interior design isn't my forte.

Comments (17)

• parma42
    16 years ago

I sent browngr over here from the paint forum. He wants to surprise his wife with a new paint job. Told him he'd get LOTS of advice here.

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

What color are the kitchen walls? or are you painting them too? A friend of mine just re-did a room in her house. She also has dark brown leather furniture and she painted the room BM Monroe Bisque and it looks very nice (with white trim). But you could do almost any color, it sounds like. If you could post a picture that would be helpful. For instance, is the mantle dark oak or light oak?

• parma42
    16 years ago

Ok, nobody's biting so I'll bump it up. Two problems I see here. One is no pics and the other is that I have a sneaking suspicion most of the women here would strangle their husbands if they *surprised* them like that.

That being said, green would look nice.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Welcome, browngr!

I would love to know the color of the carpet. You say it's light... light beige? Light green? Light blue?

• paint_chips
    16 years ago

Yep, I am in the strangle my husband crowd. Although if he gave me a nice card with a note inside offering his services, I would be a taker!

From just your very brief description, I agree with Mclarke. Something like Sherwin Williams Liveable Green sounds like it would work very well.

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

What's her favorite color? Is she a green person or a red or blue? We need hints. I would probably strangle my husband also.
    I painted mine BM Baby Turtle (very nice brownish green).
    Has she ever hinted what color she might like on the walls?

• browngr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alright to save me a strangling I ended up just talking to her about it. She doesnt really have any idea about the colors either. I just bought this house for us as our first home, and I want it too look great. I dont really know how to attach a photo but I will give it a try from what I have read. If it doesnt work I will try something else, but if it does work realize that the photo is of the old owners furniture and we have recently got new very dark brown leather furniture. So I will give it a try. Thanks for your help.

• funkyart
    16 years ago

I think you can't go wrong with a neutral range green. It goes with everything and looks like a conscious color decision without imposing design restrictions. I have really liked the baby turtle pictures I've seen.

I can't close this post without suggesting that you might be better off wrapping up some paint trays, brushes and color strips in a bow-- maybe a tool belt too. (You won't need a tool belt-- but they sure do look nice on a man ;)

• decorpas
    16 years ago

It 's really sweet that you want to do this for your wife. It's also good that you asked her first! Now that we know that she doesn't have any ideas either, I second the green choices people have suggested here. grey or olive green would be very chic and give you good choices for accent colors (eg, terracotta, reds, oranges, etc). blues are also nice with browns, so a sort of grey blue or even some of the greyed ocean blue colors that are very popular on this board right now (and women seem to love). You can choose to go monochromatic with a cognac color on the wall, which would work really well with dark brown leather.

what kind of feeling are you all going for?

I can't see your picutres, but I feel your pain-- it took me months before I managed to post a picture. you're ahead of the game:-)

• browngr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well my last pictures worked for a little bit and then stopped, so I am going to try another thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: living room

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

Nope, that didn't work either. It's taking us to a Gmail account.

• judiegal6
    16 years ago

My brown leather with green/blue from Behr I'll have to check the name.

• judiegal6
    16 years ago

My brown leather with green/blue from Behr I'll have to check the name.

• judiegal6
    16 years ago

ooops I did it again

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Pretty judiegal:)

Brown..have you looked in the gallery section, there are several threads on various colors, it might give you some ideas. But honestly, you really can not go wrong with a sage green color(unless you hate green)It goes with everything and is considered a "neutral" which means it goes with everything.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

browngr:
    First, congrats on your first home purchase!
    Here are instructions for using photobucket (it's free). Once you have your photos stored online somewhere, then you can share them here ;)
    Go to www.photobucket.com
    Upload the photos from your computer into photobucket, here's a step by step tutorial with screen shots.
    Once you get your photos into photobucket, you can share here using several methods. Easiest is either post the link to your album ~or~ you can copy and paste the "HTML tag" line located below the photo into a post here. Here's a step by step guide that shows you where the HTML tag is (see item 3 in screen shots). That method will insert the photo directly into your post so we see the picture rather than a link to it.

Here is Garden Web's Test Forum, where you can play around with it till you get the hang of it ;)

• browngr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

With the help of moonshadow I think I may have the pictures ready. Just a reminder this is not my furniture because I just bought the house. I have purchased very dark brown leather furniture with light brown cushions and a dark wood dining room table. Here goes nothing.