Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Dilemma with new Sofa! HELP!

jockewing
14 years ago

I just bought a lovely new sofa from an independent, smaller furniture store in New Orleans. The store had marked down most of its stock of floor models to half price. The sofas are built very well (kiln dried frames, double doweled, corner blocked, high density foam, etc.) and very pretty.

There were 2 sofas I was interested in. One was covered in a velvet fabric called "Stone Blue" which is a very pretty blue-green. The other I was looking at was very similar, covered in a velvet fabric called "Silver Sage", which is almost identical to the Restoration Hardware color but a little darker. It is a blue-green, but more muted and grayer than the "Stone Blue". I was given a swatch of each fabric to bring home, and due to the color and my preference for the size and shape, I purchased the "Silver Sage" sofa.

Yesterday, I went to pick up the sofa at the store's distribution center. (It had been transported from the store to the warehouse). The sofa looked fine, but I did notice it seemed brighter and more colorful than the one I saw in the store. I thought it was just due to the fact that we were outside in the sunlight, and from my experience with these blue/gray/green paint colors, I know what chameleons they are. Well, I get it home fine and couldn't believe how the color looked so different from how it looked in the store. It took me a while of really looking at it hard to realize that the frame and arms looked like a different color from the seat and back cushions, which are removable. I got my little samples out, and sure enough, the frame is "Silver Sage" and the cusions are "Stone Blue"!!!!!!

Now what!!! The store isn't open yet, but I will call this morning. All that really needs to happen is for them to give me new cushion coverings for the seats and backs and I can give them back the "Stone Blue" ones. Evidently, the store has a direct relationship with the manufacturer in North Carolina, so I'm hoping they can get some new coverings or make them if necessary. Even though I purchased this as a sale item, I think it can be expected that the colors of the cushions match the frame!!

The thing is with velvet, it is really hard to tell due to the sheen and how the color changes based on the angle you are looking that the colors are different. I am a color nut and really notice such things, and it took me a while to realize the colors were different. I'm sure the people in the factory and store probably never even realized it.

Any recommendations on how to handle this? It seems like it should be an easy fix, and otherwise I am completely satisfied with the sofa. Truth be told, most people would probably never even notice the colors are different, but I want the cushions to match the frame! I did pay with credit card, so I guess I could dispute the charges if it ends up badly (it shouldn't, but you never know). I could probably almost live with it the way it is, but I don't think I should have to.

Why does everything I do have to be so complicated!!!!!

Comments (20)

• nhb22
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Could it be the way the fabric is cut/positioned for the cushions, versus how it was positioned for the frame? Velvet will change color based on direction and light. Try turning a cushion and see if it changes.

I'm with you on this. I would not be happy. I'd take photos and take them with me.

• jimoba
    14 years ago

Newhomebuilder is right; velvet does look different depending on the direction of the nap (pile). If the pattern for the cushions was positioned in the opposite direction and cut, then the cushions will look different, even if they are cut from the same fabric. Or, the wrong cushions could have been packed with the frame. In any event, it is a production error, and the furniture store should get replacement cushions from the manufacturer for you. Good luck!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

It took me a while of really looking at it hard to realize that the frame and arms looked like a different color from the seat and back cushions, which are removable. I got my little samples out, and sure enough, the frame is "Silver Sage" and the cusions are "Stone Blue"!!!!!!

Are the sofas close enough in style that there is a chance the cushions got swapped in the move? Maybe in moving yours (or both) to the warehouse the moving guys accidentally put the cushions on the wrong sofas? So the Stone Blue sofa now has your Silver Sage cushions?

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    14 years ago

You do want your beautiful new sofa to be just that - beautiful! After working in furniture for 20+ years, here are the solutions that should be offered to you - providing it is a fabric mismatch. The store can order new cushions or cushion covers and let you use the sofa as is until they arrive and are switched out for you. The cushion cushion covers can be a cumbersome to switch out so you may ask them to do that for you. They can order a new sofa (unlikely)and let you use the mismatched sofa until the new arrives. They can exchange the whole sofa for you for the same one or a different style at the same price or simply give you a refund. Last but not least they can give you a partial refund to keep it "as is". Good luck!

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Moonshadow-- that is a logical thought, but the cushions couldn't have been switched because the stone blue sofa was slightly larger with a different style cushion.

I am positive the fabrics are different. Like I said, they are very close, and due to the changing appearance of velvet, it did take me a while to figure out that the colors are different. But I laid my sample pieces of fabric next to the frame and then next to the cushions, and I am 100% positive they are different pieces of fabric.

I am just trying to figure out what happened. I was supposed to be getting the exact piece of furniture that was located on the floor that I saw in person. I don't know if the sofa was mismatched like that already. To me it looked like it was all the same color, but the lighting was kind of low and usually you aren't looking for slight color differences between the frame and the cushions! You kind of assume they will be the same, and the salesman told me that couch was "Silver Sage". I had asked the salesman about the possibility of getting the style sofa I wanted in the Stone Blue color at one point, but he told me it wasn't in stock. Did he find one in the Stone Blue color in the warehouse and switch the cushions because he thought I preferred that color? Unlikely, but who knows. I had taken a picture of the sofa in the store in my cell phone, and it looks to me like the cushions are the correct ones in that picture, but it is a cell phone pic.

This is just so crazy!!! How does this weird stuff always happen to me? I mean I've heard of getting the wrong color (where the entire couch is the wrong color), but having cushions that don't match the frame? CRAZY!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Thanks jimoba! Too early in the morning for me to come up with the word "nap."

jock - Good luck getting the correct sofa. Are you close enough to the store to go back and see if "your" sofa is still on display? Or call them!

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I talked to the store. The guy who I have been working with was off today. The other salesman I talked to apologized and said both of those colors are ones they use frequently, so they shouldn't have a problem recitfying the situation. He said he'd be sure the salesman would call me in the morning.

So (fingers crossed) hopefully everything will work out and they can just switch out the cushions for me. With my luck, by then I will have totally fallen in love with the more blue version and not want to change!

• loribee
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this-- I hope it's settled soon.
    I think the color (the right one!) sounds very fun and fresh. Can't wait to see it!

• iona46
    14 years ago

I hope you get the situation fixed to your satisfaction! I know that is a terrible feeling to have, but hope it all ends up well.

Just for information for anyone buying furniture, I have always, always, always insisted on buying the floor sample. If the store doesn't want to work with me and do that, I take my business else where. I learned this directly from one of the sales people in High Point here in NC. They said to always insist on that because too many times, you don't get what you ordered. Through the years when I have bought furniture, I have had only one store not want to do that. They didn't get my business.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Iona, I think I did buy the floor sample. Supposedly, the floor sample was the last one they currently had in stock, and I was told I was getting that actual piece of furniture. The thing is, these 2 colors are very similar and especially considering the low lighting in the store and the inherent color gradation properties of velvet, no one realized they were different colors. That is, unless they switched the cushions, which doesn't make any sense.

I am hoping this will be an easy fix. Like I said, the guy I talked with yesterday made it sound like there shouldn't be a problem, so I am awaiting the call from my saleman this morning.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Any news?

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I spoke with the salesman/manager yesterday. He told me he could not find any of the Silver Sage cushion covers in the store. He said he would check the warehouse today and if he can't find any, he will have the factory in N. Carolina make some new ones up for me quickly.

I am satisfied. It's OK if it takes a couple of weeks---I just wanted to make sure they planned on rectifying the situation.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, here are some pics of the velvet Silver Sage sofa. Please excuse the mess, I'm in the process of rearranging everything in the room. Notice the cushions are a slightly different color from the frame. I like the carpet, but I think I need a contrasting color.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Yep, they're sure different. Glad you got it resolved.

Love your ikat pillows.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

The sofa is super pretty. It is also apparent that the sides and the pillows do not match. Wow.
    Your carpet does need to be switched out with something contrasting. Do you have something else or will you need to look for a rug? The whole thing will look gorgeous when you finish, that's for sure!

Red

• amysrq
    14 years ago

What a great sofa! I can see why you got it.

I am wondering about dye lots and if getting new cushion covers will totally solve the problem. Because of different dye lots, they might not match. I wonder if there is a manufacturing date code on the piece which might confirm that your new covers are coming from the same batch of material as the sofa originally did.

Sorry to be such a bummer.

I love your floor lamp!

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Well, they sure are different. Love the color though. It will look beautiful when it gets resolved. Think positive.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, it is not different dye lots. There are 2 totally different fabric colors, and the stores sell pieces covered in both. The frame is in the correct color "Silver Sage" and the cushions are in "Stone Blue". Before I bought, the salesman gave me samples of each type of fabric b/c there was a different style sofa available for the same price in the "Stone Blue". Somehow the cushions got switched. The difference isn't super noticeable, especially due to the sheen and natural variation of velvet. It is probably more noticeable in the picture. Thing is, the "Stone Blue" is growing on me. Maybe they'll let me keep the extra covers for my trouble and I can change them out for different looks?

• jockewing
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And amy, yes, I think it is a great sofa, esp. for $499! And it is well made, kiln dried wood, double doweled, etc., all the things the net told me to look for in good upholstered furniture. I think I lucked out. Also, I originally was going for a beige or tan sofa, and I'm kind of glad I got something a little different. Now I just need 2 beautiful chairs and a new rug, and new media cabinets, etc, etc!

• loribee
    14 years ago

I love it and it does look very comfy! Hope this is settled soon~