Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

Pink/black/white little girl room ideas?

beths96
10 years ago

Hi everyone! My daughter (who is 8 1/2) wants me to redecorate her room. She's had the same room since I was pregnant with her, and although I still love the pale yellow and pink color scheme, I guess it's time. The crib bedding I used had the words "Little Star," so I stenciled white stars and moons along the perimeter, near the ceiling.

So far, the only specific she's given me is that she wants a black wall, but I"m not really so sure about that. I love black and white, especially damask, so I'm looking into that type of bedding for her twin bed. But what about wall color? I want pink for the accents, but not a very bright pink. When I found out I was having a girl 9 years ago, I was completely against pink walls, and here I am...looking for pink paint!

I just wondered if you think pink walls would be a good choice if I use black and white bedding. Do you have any ideas for pale pink shades? Also, she has a white dresser and a basic white bookshelf, and an old hope chest that I converted to a toy box. I painted it white and put a pink cushion on top (attached with stapes). I'm thinking of painting the dresser black, and maybe the headboard as well.

A lot of this redecorating won't happen until June, because I'm an elementary teacher, and I won't have time until then! :) But any ideas or help you have would be really appreciated! I'd like this room to last her for a really long time!

Beth
ps- later today, I will post pictures of the room. It's way too messy right now. :)

Comments (10)

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Beth,
    One immediate thought I had was to do a chalkboard wall! That would give her the 'black' wall, and an added fun besides.

I think shell pink, as opposed to baby pink, would work very well right now, and would hold her awhile as well. I'm not sure about painting the furniture black. It's a lot of work, and if your DD is anything like mine, she will be on to something new within a few years. And black furniture may or may not work with her new look then... I think you might be better off to add the black as trim on a bedskirt, maybe black and white damask drapes, etc.....

I've linked to a pink and black room with white furniture. Maybe you could share photos like this with DD and see if this is what she's envisioning...

Sounds like a fun project!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Pink Black White Girl's Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/lottery-home-2011-the-mackenzie-contemporary-kids-edmonton-phvw-vp~798233)

This post was edited by bestyears on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 10:08

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Did she say what color she'd like. I know a lot of young gals who are nuts for lavender....might be a consideration instead of the pink, esp since you've had the pink in there with the yellow for 9 yrs already.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love bestyears linked room, but you could also go for a different look, wilder, romantic, sophisticated. Sounds like a fun project!

{{!gwi}}

or more white and black in the furniture

or just black, white, pink in the bedding/furniture, etc.
    {{!gwi}}

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

As a teen, I had black bedroom walls. With black and white tile flooring and a white ceiling. I loved it. My parents liked it enough they haven't repainted the room though I've been out of the house for a long time. I love the look of black and white and a bold color.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I'm not a "pink person" but I think a pink/black/white room would look great! You can do a Parisian, sophisticated, "oh-so-grown-up" (boutique) look, or wild and fun, with a bright and bold pink, like some of the pics posted by nosoccermom.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

That's one of my favorite color schemes. If she wants a "black" wall, how about wallpapering one wall (like the wall behind the bed) with a black/white print? There are some cool papers in the link below.

You could also paint the whole room a subtle pink and then get black wall decals -- like flowers -- and scatter them on one wall, or all the walls. During my DD's pink phase, we had a big black chandelier wall decal hanging over her headboard.

One of my favorite pinks is BM Odessa Pink. Here is a picture of it in my summer cottage living room.

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: b&w wallpaper

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

With my children I've found that they tend to focus on wanting a particular wall color, but have difficulty envisioning the entire look and how one choice (bedding) impacts another (wall color). What has worked for me is to show them pictures until we choose an inspiration room. Pottery Barn Kids and Teen are a great source and they even list their wall colors on the website.

I did a black&white & turquoise room for my older DD about 4-years ago and it still works. It's a classic look as is B&W & pink. I agree you can go many different ways with it; a Parisian theme or fun and bold. I try to work in the bolder colors with easy to change accents like pillows, etc.

My DD turned 18 yesterday and has the B&W dotted bedding; but a friend of mine used that same bedding for her then 9-year-old and paired it up with pink walls and fluffy pink pillows. If you put the black in the bedding then your DD may agree to not doing the black accent wall (which I would try to discourage). If you have hardwood floors, then a fun and colorful rug is another place to bring in color.

If your DD wants more black in her room, add in decorative black frames. Show her how to use black accents without painting the wall black.

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

I agree with valinsv, I would discourage painting/papering any walls black.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Below, a link to "How to work with pink"

Here is a link that might be useful: [pink[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/color-guide-how-to-work-with-pink-stsetivw-vs~4035482)