Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattiem93_gw

OT- Allison and others in the storm area

pattiem93
13 years ago

has anyone heard if they're all okay? I Believe Allison is somewhere in the Birmingham area? My own son lost his rental home in Raleigh to the tornado last week and now we're desperately waiting to hear from friends across the south. This is awful.

Comments (12)

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

pattiem, I started a thread in Conv earlier this morning wondering about some members in that area (and others living there as well). Others have answered, but no one has responded from the area yet, but it's still early, they might not have seen it or might be without power? I'm so sorry to hear your son lost his home. I hope you hear from your friends. :/

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you moonshadow. It's been such a strange and terrible weather year. Allison immediately came to mind when I saw the devastation in Alabama . We have friends there we haven't been able to reach so I think you may be right about the power

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

As of 8.30 this morning Allison was without any damage but without power (except by generator).

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much. Glad she's safe and I'm assuming her home and family are safe as well

• tinam61
    13 years ago

That's good to know Pal. I had intended to email her but am just now checking in.

I have a cousin in Guntersville, AL who has a tree on/in his house. Everyone is okay though!!

Here we have had awful storms this week and many tornadoes touch down. It was reported that these are the worst storms (number of, etc.) that our area has had in 30+ years. I believe the count for TN is 34 deaths. My dad has not had power since early Monday from another round of storms. He won't come to mine or my sister's house. Has to go down with the ship! LOL

At my workplace - it is so sad to see so many of our old, beautiful trees destroyed. We have gorgeous gardens here but so much clean-up. We had 30 something windows broken out in our building last night. The parking lot looked like we had astro turf due to all the green leaves/branches.

Hope others in AL check in - thankful Allison is well and everyone else stay safe!!

tina

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Tina, I was wondering about you, too. If your dad's power isn't restored soon, I hope he quits being stubborn. ;) Hard to not worry about a parent. Stay safe!

Pal, thanks for the update about Allison, I'll post on Conv side, lots are worried about our Southern branch of the GW family.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I'm in Alabama, about 25 miles south of Birmingham. The worst of the storms stayed north of us, and we didn't even lose power. The damage in Tuscaloos and B'ham's NW suburbs is terrible. So far all muy friends and family are safe. Glad to hear Allison is safe as well. One of the storms would have passed through her area.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Yes, thanks for the Allison update!

Tina, oh dear, that sounds like a big mess! Sorry your dad lost power.

The loss of plants and trees is so sad. But I'm elated that you and yours were out of harm's way. Take care and keep us posted.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Hey Pattie and everyone. On iPhone so please ignore typos. I'm sorry to hear about your loss and your damage , Tinas. Pal, thanks for letting them know.

As Pal said no damage to our home or any family members in the Birmingham area. Our generator allowed us to watch the storms unfold and hit Tuscaloosa then head our way. It's quite sobering to watch it pass just north of downtown courtesy of our TV stations atop Red Mountain.

Although we are safe there are so many that have suffered loss of life, injuries and damage or loss of their homes. The double whammy of the morning storm with straight line winds followed by the horrific tornadoes. Even areas untouched by the tornado itself suffered damage. Lots of trees down etc.

I hope everyone else checks in. I'll go check other thread too.

Btw after phones came back my Internet isn't working. New modem to arrive by Tuesday.

• pattiem93
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison, so glad to hear all is well. Erick lost his house, but he's fine and well and that's all that matters. So many have lost lives and suffered so much more. We're praying for all.

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Glad to hear the GW community seems to have gotten by unscathed, but it is so sad to hear of other losses. Buildings, carpet, homes, windows, etc. can all be replaced but not those lives.

We had horrendous storms here as well but only a couple of places where possible tornadoes formed. Lots and lots of water here and two people here died tragically from the water. I believe both were car related where they got in too far and couldn't get out.

The heavy winds here did cause a lot of tree damage to homes, etc. I lost a large magnolia limb and have a large mess in my yard, but we were very fortunate. Praying for those who didn't fare as well.

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear you're okay, Allison!