Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynsmom_gw

Light switch 'pimples'

bronwynsmom
12 years ago

"Pimples?"

I think that's hilarious! And they sure can be, particularly when they aren't carefully installed, and are cranksided or not lined up well.

I often use the clear plastic switch plates that are designed for wallpapered walls, and paint the inside surface to match the wall. The only disadvantage of this is their slight gloss, but they are much easier to keep clean.

And I always paint outlet covers to match the walls. I paint the sockets, too, but I don't recommend it officially. My electrician screams at me about that, but I do it anyway...very carefully! Same with HVAC grilles.

Comments (4)

• User
    12 years ago

I am one of those form follows function people, and really do not mind properly installed outlets and light switches. Painted ones often look worse than even a badly installed plate left alone.

The real problem with these things is that builders don't know where to install them in a room, and they are obtrusive. We've had quite a few moved in current home. The walls where several of these are clustered (thermostats, outlets and switches) our designer calls "service walls and he does not try to hang anything amongst them. He either moves the plates or leaves that wall of the wall alone.

There are some companies that make very sleek and stylish outlet and switch covers that become part of the room's esthetic...I wouldn't start changing out mine until I was prepared to change them all for the sake of continuity. That said, this is a very first world problem, isn't it?

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I also don't mind the outlets and light switches so long as they're installed correctly. I have soft white covers since our trim is antique white and most of the walls are a light neutral color so there's not a huge contrast.

Glaring white heating/air vents do bother me and I plan on painting those to match the wall color.

• natal
    12 years ago

become part of the room's esthetic

You know who is going to jump all over that. ;)

I agree that a lot of the painted ones look worse and are just as obvious. Have decorative ones in the living room and dining room with white in the rest of the house except for a recent acquisition in the kitchen. One particular 3 gang switch is in an awful location, so I decided to turn it into art.

Here is a link that might be useful: pewter switch plates

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Reminds me of my bedroom remodel. The walls are smokey olive and the ceiling and all the trim and baseboard is an off-white. I walk in and my builder is happily finishing up putting the outlet and switch covers on - dark beige/tan. I called out to stop and asked hadn't he planned on installing at least white covers? Didn't he think that would look alot better? No. Needless to say I stood my ground and he began not so "happily" removing them. Then I had to wait while he made a trip to go buy the white.