Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judiegal6

Dining Room....Finally, need help with rug

judiegal6
12 years ago

After many, MANY years, we are finally getting Dining room furniture. The dining room is 19' x 14', hardwood with a double border of decorative inserts. I am trying to figure out the size and style of an area rug. I want to have it big enough for the chairs to be on it completely. I don't want to cover the borders. What is typical? Also should I go traditional oriental, or be funky and go very different or modern? I'm really at a loss.

Here is the furniture.

Comments (10)

• judiegal6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh and the table is 130" long x 44" wide and chairs are 24" deep.

• dakota01
    12 years ago

Your furniture, light and wall details are traditional in style - I would not go w/funky/modern. You can get a custom rug - from what I understand they really aren't more expensive than a quality oriental. A few of the furniture stores that I frequent have all the colors/patterns etc. available for you to pick from. Yuo may want something as simple as a mimic to your pattern on the hardwood floor - or something just on the edges. You have many, many options.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I agree that a funky, modern look is not in keeping with your beautiful, traditional room and furnishings! I love traditional Orientals, and one would look fantastic in your room, but if you want to go "Transitional" I think that would also work well.

My sis has furniture that is very classic, as is her architecture, and she just purchased a paisley rug for her dining room. The background of the rug is similar in color to your walls, and the large paisley motifs are cream. The somewhat large scale of the paisley print offers a slightly modern twist on a time-honored design. It works really well with her traditional things, but also adds a little fun to the room in a subtle way. This mix reflects her personality well- she's an elegant, graceful person with light-hearted humor and down-to-earth warmth.

• porkandham
    12 years ago

Unless the rest of your house is funky and modern, I'd go with a more traditional rug. I have a seagrass rug with a black band in my dining room. I love the look of seagrass and sisal, but I don't think they're comfortable underfoot. Since that's not really an issue in the dining room, it seemed like a good spot for one. I also think it tones down the "formalness" of the room a bit, which I like.

• hlove
    12 years ago

Are you sure you even want a rug with the beautiful border on your floors? I usually use a rug under my dining table, but am considering leaving it out this time...and I don't have a nice border like you! :)

Just a thought!

• k9arlene
    12 years ago

I would definitely wait until the furniture is in before making a decision. I'd be tempted not to have a rug at all.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I like the idea of something with some pattern for your rug. It is practical (hides stains!) and will bring in interest. I think it will be more about muted colors that will make it a winner vs. the style.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

I like a rug in the dining room as it makes it quieter and helps keep the wood floor from getting damaged from the chairs sliding on it. Rule of thumb is the rug should be at least 2' larger than the table on all sides so the chairs won't be pushed off of the rug. I would stick with something traditional to match the traditional style of your beautiful room. Oriental style would be fine, but so would other traditional styles. Room is plenty large so the beautiful inlay will show as well.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I think the measurements given above sound about right.

go for something around 9 x 14 - 15

that's going to cover a lot of your room. that's a long table.

• judiegal6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The furniture has been delivered and put in the dining room. I still want to put a rug in, but what a job that's going to be, that furniture is heavy. I guess it will be something more traditional, big enough to have the chairs stay on it when they are pulled out and still show the border. It's not going to be easy. Some of the rugs in the size I'll need are big $$$ so I think it will be naked for a little while. Thanks for your help and suggestions.