Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Gardenweb Moderator, the Moen Ad has Convinced Me to Buy Kohler

User
9 years ago

In case anyone is monitoring this board, I come here on an iPad and the recent ubiquitous Moen ad that takes over the screen and often cannot be closed is, in a word, COUNTERPRODUCTIVE. I have decided to buy a Kohler faucet set instead of Moen, solely based on the sheer obnoxiousness of the ad on this site.

Comments (45)

• kitchentime
    9 years ago

Agreed!!!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I hear you, kswl. If I were still in the market for any faucets, I would be deciding the same. Obnoxious pop-up ads are a sure way to turn me off a product.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

They are like telemarketers - annoying, so who wants to buy the product.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Don't get Kohler either!

Get a Wolverine Brass faucet. If you order directly from Wolverine Brass, your plumber has to do it. Wolverine will also only give prices to plumbers. But you can get them online at American Plumbing Supply (very nice people) and Matson's Plumbing. I just ordered a Finale Single handle faucet from Matson's.

Wolveringe has a 100 year warranty. Their stuff is made incredibly well. Their designs are simply but elegant (because they're made well, not for shiny-object stuff). and their prices are greatâ¦better product, better made, much less expensive.

FYI, even faucet makers, I learned, recommend getting a separate sprayer (kitchen faucets) versus a pull down or pull out, if your sink has the holes for it.

I did my research on faucets.

Peruse this site before you buy. It has ALL info. you could want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything you need to know about faucets

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 9:19

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, that link takes me to an empty article. I will have to check it out later on my PC.

But the point is ....ANYTHING BUT MOEN solely because of the ad.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, I got the point. But it looked like you're also in the market for a faucet, so I wanted to point it out!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't get any pop-ups, but I despise the green highlighted words in the body of text. Your cursor breathes on one, a box opens up. That is SOOOOO annoying, and it's everywhere now.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

My Firefox and Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon prevent anything opening from the green highlighted words. I don't see the ads either....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Thanks, missing. I'm going to check out Adblock Plus.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Missing, It's definitely an iPad and perhaps other tablet systems problem.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Adblock Plus doesn't work on Macs???

:-(

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Also on an ipad...extremely annoying ads! They just started recently, I hope they change it back! It happens on my regular computer too, I'm just not on GW as much with reg computer.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting this! I was going to ask if I was the only one go sees it.

IPad user here, although the moen ad only appears the first time I go to Gardenweb in the morning, it takes a long time to get to the point I can close it.

Do others see it everytime they go to GardenWeb?

ML

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I don't know if Adblock has a iPad ap, but it works great on Mac computers. I haven't regretted using it ever,and it has kept me from leaving GW. It gets rid of pop ups, the banner ad and any sidebar ads, not only on GW but on all webpages.

For the green text links( if you don't want Adblock), scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it says:
    Learn more about in-text links on this page here.
    If you click on the "here" link and then on a link on that page, you can opt out of the text links so that they no longer appear on your pages..

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, nhbabs. I Googled Adblock Plus, and it looked like it's only for PCs.

Also thanks for the green text info.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

There is adblock for both safari and firefox on a mac, but I use glimmerblocker, which installs as a system preference so it isn't affected by browser updates.

Unfortunately, the way iOS (the operating system for iphones and ipads) is set up means that you can't have plug-ins/add-ons to apps for security reasons. There is, or was, a browser app specifically designed to have ad blocking but it was only good at ad-blocking, terrible as a browser. Atomic Browser is the name, I think. Maybe it's gotten better since I tried it a couple of years ago.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yep, I hate using my iPad on this site now! I try to only look when I'm at the actual computer, because those popups are so annoying :(

• done_again_2
    9 years ago

On an iPad also and feel the same way about the ad. If it would let you easily close it that would be one thing.

There was a commercial on my local radio station recently with a doorbell sound that caused my dogs to go berserk. I threatened to call the company and complain. The doorbell was unnecessary to the commercial in my opinion.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I have a Nexus 5 (Android) and get the same annoying Moen ad with a tiny box to close it. I think I'm going with Grohe or Hansgrohe anyway for our faucets. Still gotta do homework on that.

The green rollovers are what finally got me to install Adblocker Pro because they made some sites (like this one) nearly unusable at times.

• vera11
    9 years ago

fyi: theres a browser called duckduckgo that does NOT have invasive pop ups like most well known like firefox, google IE..

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

The picture of the pizza on the 'your message has been posted' page has put me off pizza. It looks like it was run over by a truck.

• crl_
    9 years ago

For the faucet reviews link, I have to scroll way down to see it. And moen and kohler both get good reviews so no need to write them off based on that website's information.

And, yes, I have the horribly annoying moen ad problem on my iPad as well.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm getting it on my iPad as well, and you know what? Eff that! I got it the second I touched my screen--twice. Had to close the window (Gardenweb) twice. On the third time, it didn't return.

How to win friends and influence people. NOT!!! Seriously, does anyone go, Moen? Why didn't I think of that? I'll buy everything they have!!!

Those ads are blessedly blocked on my MacBook and iMac. Guess I'll just browse other sites on my iPad.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Funny, I can close the ad on my iPad pretty quickly...not quickly enough of course, gotta get to the eye candy on GW NOW!

• madeyna
    9 years ago

This sight is the worst I have ever been on for allowing abusive popup adds. I have stopped using it on several occassions because of the problem. I will certainly never buy poduct from companys that practice this kind of advertizing either.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I wrote them last week to say the same thing - that ad is driving me bonkers on both my iphone and ipad. Down with Moen!

• amck2
    9 years ago

I get it and thought it was something I clicked on inadvertently.

Well, if their goal was to get us talking about Moen they've succeeded. But with this crowd It will not result in sales but rather serve to put us off from the brand.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Hmm, so many people are saying they won't buy Moen it makes me suspect the ad was put out there by a competitor. Maybe it's guerrilla marketing?

I'm mostly on an iPad and I get the annoying faucet ad. Some times I also get the screen going sheer black, I can see through it, but an ad never appears and I can't close it. I have to open a new tab and close that one out.

• amck2
    9 years ago

hhireno, thanks for posting about that black screen thing. I get that, too & again, thought I was doing something wrong.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I have adblock and don't see that ad on either my Ipad or Mac.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

How do you get adblock on an ipad (the bigger problem is on my iphone - at least on the ipad I can close the window -- no can do on the iphone)

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    9 years ago

Annoyed ipad user here too. The Moen ad is very irritating.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I find aggressive popups such at the Moen ad very annoying. It is no way to treat a customer; i feel harangued. It makes me think less of the company and less of the site. It strikes me as low-brow, frankly.

I go out of my way to avoid doing business with companies that fill my inbox, my mailbox, and my screen with screaming ads.

I accept that there are banners at the top trying to sell me things I just wrote about or searched for ... I get it, companies need ad revenue.

But this %$%^R%^@! Moen ad is horrific. It only causes a problem on my Iphone (yes, I have been known to check GW on my Iphone from time to time, I confess). On the phone, Moen totally obliterates the site and I can't get to it.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

I often view this site using my iPhone.
    That ad has been aggravating the heck out of me for days.

Somebody, somewhere, do something to fix this.
    Please?

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Me too. I get the same problem on my Ipad 2. Is this a technical problem on the Moen end or Gardenweb end?

• jadie88
    9 years ago

amen amen amen

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Yep. I've had this problem on my iPhone too. I blame GW more than Moen. It's their site and they need to make sure it works correctly on all formats.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    9 years ago

"fyi: theres a browser called duckduckgo that does NOT have invasive pop ups like most well known like firefox, google IE.".

duckduckgo is not a browser.Its an alternative search engine to google. It's claim is no (less?) tracking of your moves. I've been trying it out for awhile. So far pretty good, but I resort back to google now and then to be sure. (Just add a "!g" to your search term and it sends it to google.com instead. or bing with !b or !i for images or !m for maps, etc. etc.)

I use Firefox browser with AdblockLite addon on my windows PC. No ads here. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to get something similar setup on my phone. I am sure it's do-able I haven't taken the time to find out. I saw the Moen ad once on my phone browser. On my phone I'm more likely to click something accidentally with swiping and scrolling and pinching, so adblocking is even more necessary there.

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    9 years ago

How is Moen responsible for the fact that Gardenweb does not publish a very technologically advanced web site. Of course, you can buy any faucet you like, but if you pass up Moen because you are peeved at GW you are missing out on a pretty good faucet line.

From the point of view of technological advances, this site is at about 2002. It's not just the pop ups. Have you ever tried the search??? The only thing more useless is maybe a pet rock.

The is a popular forum because of its users. For too long GW has been coasting. The site needs a major upgrade, and it needs it now.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Moen is paying to advertise on GW...so they are responsible for their choice of venues. They should know GW is techno challenged and take their ads elsewhere. If no one would pay GW for ads, GW would get with the times and have ads that are not so obnoxious.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Searching is easy. Go to google and search...
    (blah) site:ths.gardenweb.com

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: I had a very nice email from Tamara, one of the GW mods, who asked for specifics about the problem. I don't know if any changes will be made as a result, but the thread was noticed and the problem is noted,

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I did not get the Moen ad this morning...thank you Tamara.

ML

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please let this one fall in the thread list by not replying. Gardenweb has modified the ad for mobile users and I've started a thank you thread. Thanks!!

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    9 years ago

@schicksal

Everyone knows how to search using Google, except Gardenweb which persists in using its own very inept search algorithm.

Other minor issues bother me. The posting follow-up page, http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/followup.cgi, contains an invitation to Explore Garden Web, but the link to the Craftsman Kitchen is broken and has been for many months.

But the search engine is my pet peeve.

This post was edited by OldTimeCarpenter1 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 10:20