Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snbtwins

Roman shade, pleated shade or blinds????

Snbtwins
10 years ago

I'm working on window treatments for the family room and finally decided on navy blue drapes with a Greek key trim on the leading edge. They will traverse on the deck door and be stationary for the front arched window. Now I'm trying to figure out what I will use for privacy at night for that front window.

I am considering a roman shade in a fabric that accents the trim. The window is 70" wide though so the shade would have seams on either side. Not sure how that would look. Should I consider wood blinds, pleated shades or something else?

If you like the roman shade idea what do you think of the fabric options?

Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

What you want to accomplish with the blinds? Are you looking for light control, protection of furniture against sunlight, privacy, or are you just dressing the window?

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix- there wouldn't be a valence. The shade would just be down at night.

Graywings- I only want privacy at night. I love the window and wouldn't want anything covering it during the day.

Thanks.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How much of the arched window do you need to cover, i.e. including the arch or just the straight windows?

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom- Not the arch, just the straight window. Thanks!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I have a similar room that is on the dark side and it also has large windows. The problem I see with using navy is the color can't be seen unless you stand close to the window.

Bright colors with pattern is about the only thing you can use, IF you want the drapes to be noticeable.

Do you have a dark sheet you can hang in the same lighting you have in the picture to get an idea? I could be wrong, but big windows in dark rooms can be a pain! lol

• chispa
    10 years ago

I would use Duette type shades. Wood blinds are quite clunky when pulled up all the way. The Duettes make a nice clean 3 - 4" stack when pulled up all the way. If you get the narrower 3/8" you could probably inside mount them on the windows. Get them in a white color that matches your trim and they will "disappear" when raised up during the day. I have always used Hunter Douglass and have been happy with the quality and service. The HD ones are also more streamlined than the other brands out there.

The blue fabric look nice, but I don't think it will enhance your room. I would look for something with some pattern and color and then use those colors for accent pillows.

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure why the room is coming across as dark. It is hard to photograph
    due to shooting into the light.

I do agree that the blue won't be that noticeable until you get close to
    the fabric but I really love the trim. I looked at hundreds of fabrics. It
    was so hard to find something with blue and brown that wasn't too white or
    cream. I am trying to warm up the room because it is very large and
    doesn't feel cozy at night (although the new rug is really helping with
    that).

I did get a sample for a pleated shade from Smith and Noble that matched
    the trim pretty well. I like how the pleated shade would be practically
    invisible during the day but worry that it might be busy looking at night
    though when it is down. Any thoughts?

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumping. Hoping for more responses. Thanks.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What if you just had drapes that you could close at night and no blind? Either using a nice curtain rod or invisible rod or curtain wire? It looks like you have enough space and trim between the top arch and the lower window, so it wouldn't look weird.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

The pleated shade is lovely and would add some wonderful texture to the room.

I notice that you appear to have no light sources in the room other than the overhead fan. I know your current issue is window coverings, but do you have a plan to add table lamps and a torchiere?

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom- That was my original idea, but I have my grandmothers antique hope chest in front of the window and I would have to pull it out further for the curtains to clear it. Still an option though.

graywings- Ths room has recessed lights that don't show in the picture. Im thinking of adding a console table behind the sectional and putting a lamp on it also.

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

Why aren't you getting traversing drapes for the front window? On a side note, if you get a lot of sun, navy blue does fade very easily. If it were me, I would opt for lighter drapery with the pretty greek key.