Closing Pool...Sad day

Posted by judiegal (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 8:31

photo alexgraduation6thandpool020.jpg
Pool Demo photo DSC00584_zpsd2501917.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closing Pool...Sad day

I had a message along with pics, don't know what happened to it. We closed our pool yesterday after 25 years for the best times. Birthdays, showers, graduations, my kids are so sad. We are moving into a new home we are building, now that my kids are grown. We will be renting out this house, but didn't want the liabilities of the pool. Great memories.

o

Closing the pool? To me, that means putting a cover over it! You are destroying yours. It is a sad sight.. Why are you taking it out?

o

The liabilities of renting out a house with a pool is just not worth to me. It also need major repairs $$$.

o

Aw, that's sad. I can understand that you don't want to expose yourself to liability, I guess. Too bad. My mom's pool has become a frog pond. After everyone grew up and left and got too busy for swimming very often, she stopped opening it. It eventually "returned to nature". It's even got an island floating in the middle! Fortunately she has a large property and the pool is set far away from the house.

I miss it and wish I could go for a swim sometimes, but not often enough for the amount of maintenance it requires.

o

I'm hoping one of my daughters, will put one in. It would be nice to enjoy the grandchildren swimming, without the headaches. I pretty much took care of it for all those years. I don't have the back for it anymore.

o

I'm hoping one of my daughters, will put one in. It would be nice to enjoy the grandchildren swimming, without the headaches. I pretty much took care of it for all those years. I don't have the back for it anymore.

o

I'm sure you had a lot of happy memories there, but definitely the right choice with tenants. Everything in life changes...that's the way of life...

o

That is a sad day! What a gorgeous pool. Our neighbors have one, not quite as big as yours, and we've spent many delightful afternoons there. Neighbor kids, boys and girls, ranging in age from 9 to 19 would play together for hours. What other activity offers that?

What will yo do with the gaping hole in the yard?

o

Aww, that is sad. But pools are indeed a lot of work and/or expense. That said, I do think that creating a nice setting for parties and events is totally worth it. When you have a pool, you have more parties, and more memories, IMHO. My kids have hosted end-of-school-year all-class pool parties since preK, and they are in middle school now and still love the tradition.

Let's hope your DD caves!

o

That is sad it was beatiful. But I totally understand why you felt you had to do it.

o

(((Hugs))) Judie. Yes change is the way of life but some changes are just bittersweet.

o

Judie, as sad as it is, IMO you're doing the best thing if you'll be renting. Memories don't require something tangible to be savored. I haven't had a pool for years, but when the kids were younger we had one installed in our first home in San Diego. With 5 kids, it was constantly filled their friends, but only when I was home. When they became teens, it was quite the gathering place, especially on summer evenings, with more talking than actual swimming, and many parties, including my 50th!

Bring everyone together and toast to all the good times had there! ;)

o

Sad but certainly understandable. I have no doubt you'll continue to create wonderful memories with or without another pool in the picture.

o

That is sad indeed! I can only imagine all the feelings you must have had, I hope you find lots and lots of joy in your new home. :)

o

I'm sorry :(

Pools are very fun, especially when you have young children, but are a lot of work and a big expense to keep up. Besides having to maintain it, our electric bill is quite high due to the pool motor, particularly during the summer when it needs to run for several hours a day.

We still have one 10-year old at home and she and her friends love using the pool during most of the year, but If and when we move we won't be looking for a house with a pool. Jacuzzi, yes! Pool, no.

My daughter and son-in-law filled in the pool in their first home that they bought last year. They now have a beautiful deck in that space

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here