Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antmaril

Please Help With Kitchen Paint Choice

antmaril
9 years ago

I am currently having a condo renovated. The living/dining room has been painted BM Clay Beige and I am very happy with how it turned out. Now, I have to choose a color for the kitchen, which will have white shaker cabinets, Black Pearl granite countertops and a cherry mocha wood floor. I could just continue the Clay Beige into the kitchen, but am wondering if Revere Pewter will work? I bought a sample and put it on the walls in the kitchen and I like it, but am not sure about the two colors working together.

It is an open floor plan, but the rooms are separate. The peninsula faces the dining/living.

I am posting a picture of the layout, but this is before any renovation was started. (The color on the wall is not Clay Beige.)

Thanks for your thoughts. I am going crazy trying to decide on a color for the kitchen.

Comments (25)

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is another view of the space.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ah, I remember this condo.

I would not use Revere Pewter and Clay Beige together. If you open two windows on your computer and put the two colors next to each other ,you can see that they don't work at all together.

Do you definitely want a calm neutral in your kitchen? Or would you really like to have something more dynamic but are hesitant?

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix -Thank you. I just wasn't sure when I looked at them next to each other. My gut was no and that is why I thought I would ask here. I originally thought I wanted something more dramatic, but now I am not so sure. I bought a sample of BM Palladian Blue because I thought that might look nice, but it is a little too robin's egg blue in the space. I also considered BM Dill Pickle (or something like that), but I am not sure I have the courage. I have not tried a sample of that.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

antmaril, you and I, I think, are in the minority in not caring for Palladian Blue. Great color for a wedding, Easter or a baby's room, but other than thatâ¦Not a fan. But, it's a very popular color.

If it were me, I'd paint that kitchen BM Lucerne. There are no windows in your kitchen, so it really "needs" a bolder color, but because of the lack of natural light, it won't blast at you. It'll contrast beautifully with the black counters and white cabinetry. And if you put it up next to your Clay Beige, it's beautiful. They pair really well together.

Lucerne is a stunningly beautiful blue.

Your kitchen is the equivalent of a north-facing room, meaning, it needs bolder color to have life and not look drab and dreary.

Ah, just noticed you do have a skylight in there.

Go with Lucerne.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 9:57

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Me three. Palladium is too green for my taste. Love Lucerne, but it's certainly quite bold.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, don't confuse "dramatic" with "depth", "bold" or "rich". You don't want a neon color in there .That would be dramatic.

But that kitchen, IMO, needs a color that is rich and has depth.
    Cripes, I sound like a character in a Woody Allen movie.

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lucerne is a very bold color. I'll be honest, I would have never even considered it until you suggested it. The photo of the kitchen is a little deceiving. It isn't quite as dark as it looks in that picture. There is a large window (but it looks out to the front porch - so not big sun coming in) and there is a sky light that brightens the room considerably.

I think Lucerne is lovely, but I don't know. I am a coward - ha!

Regarding Palladian Blue -- I felt bad that I didn't like it. Everyone seems to love it so much, and in my space it looked like I was decorating a baby boy's nursery. That is why it is important to buy a sample and try it in your space. You just never know. So far, I have purchased seven BM sample pints.

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there a rich, bold green you could recommend? I may be a little more comfortable going bold with green rather than blue.

Thanks!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, you'll go broke AND insane over paint samples.

I don't like green walls for some reason, despite green being my favorite color. But I'll give it a try. I am in LOVE with the BM Williamsburg Collection colors.

How about Timson Green, from the WC? It's very unique, bold enough for your kitchen, and goes great with the Clay Beige.

And remember, "IT's just paint". You can always repaint if you want. It's not like putting in, say, new windows and deciding you hate them. You'll regret playing it safe, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Timson Green

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion. Timson Green is very pretty. I will mull it over.

I know it is just paint, but I can't paint it myself and hiring someone do it is costly. But, you are right, it is still just paint. However, I have had so many decisions to make lately, that I am becoming a bit overwhelmed.

I lost my husband almost six years ago and I really miss him during this process. He had very good taste and between the two us, our home usually looked pretty good.

Anyway, thank you for the help. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

antmaril, I'm genuinely sorry that you've lost your husband. It must be difficult to make decisions on your own after having grown so accustomed to collaborating with him.

Having said thatâ¦and that sentiment is sincereâ¦perhaps a way of looking at this, then, is that it is indeed YOUR own decision and kitchen, and therefore, it can be the kitchen YOU want. That's a good thing! (eek. I sound like MS).

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - Thank you for your kind words.

Regarding decorating the condo -- my friends have told me exactly the same thing -- that I should choose what I like -- that I don't have anyone to please but myself. I remind myself of that, but I certainly don't want people to come to my new home and walk away thinking "Well, that is hideous" LOL

Thanks again.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's not going to be hideous, and who cares what anyone thinks anyway. You're the one who has to live there, not them. No one goes to visit anyone for the decor anyway. They go there to visit you.

Then they talk about your hideous kitchen behind your back!

And there is nothing you can do about it, so you might as well get the kitchen you want!

• sis2two
    9 years ago

On the Benjamin Moore website, it shows Gettysburg Gray and Burnt Russet as complimentary colors to the clay beige. The Burnt Russet would be beautiful with your cabinets and countertops and make your kitchen a warm inviting space. And the colors would be beautiful together! Hope this helps.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree with sis, re: the Burnt Russet.

She too sees a more contrasting, bolder color in your kitchen. All three bold colors suggested would also go well with the floor, if you're keeping it.

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not keeping the floor -- it will be a Millstead engineered wood called "American Cherry Mocha".

I am re-doing most of this condo. All new kitchen, new wood floor in foyer and kitchen, new carpeting in living/dining, hall and bedrooms. New tile floor in hall bathroom and new vanities in both hall bath and master bath. All new light fixtures and the entire condo is being painted. Lots of decisions for me to make.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• WhitesPlumbingDotCom
    9 years ago

Will you be renovating your kitchen also? You do not need a large budget to include new quality products during remodeling or updating your kitchen. Here at Whites Plumbing we offer a wide range of quality products at competitive prices and we also include free shipping across the United States. That is not all, here at Whites Plumbing we also have custom kitchen cabinet experts that can help you design the kitchen of your dreams which it seems may be something you would be interested in as well. So feel free to follow the link below to our kitchen selection and have a wonderful day.
    http://whitesplumbingsupplies.com/store/index.php/kitchen.html

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

With the cherry mocha, I'd go with the green as opposed to the russet. Too much orange in the flooring for the russet, IMO.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I agree. And I love green.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I agree. And I love green.

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I sure hope there isn't too much orange in the floor, because that is not the look I am going for at all. I guess I will find out soon.

I am leaning toward green or just extending the Clay Beige into the kitchen. I know that would be playing it safe, but I am not against that.

Thanks for the advice.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Antmaril, I was just looking (again!) at the BM Williamsburg colors. They've added new ones today!

Check out the Palmer Green. It's beautiful! Subtler than the Timson Green. And it goes great with the Clay Beige.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Palmer Green

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix -- Thanks. Palmer Green is very pretty.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Did you say that you were possibly replacing the cabinets? If yes, what would you replace them with?

• antmaril
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom: Yes, new white shaker cabinets are being installed today! I have reserved a beautiful slab of Black Pearl granite. I have ordered all new stainless steel appliances. Wood flooring in the kitchen and foyer. New carpeting and the entire condo will be painted. New bathroom vanities and all new light fixtures. It will be virtually brand new. It belonged to my mother-in-law who is now in assisted living.