Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Show your space!

Oakley
9 years ago

We do this topic about once a year. Take a picture of an area(s) in your home that makes you feel good.

This morning I went into the LR to open the shutters, and when I turned around I saw the sun shining across the room on my Fern, which is over-wintering indoors.

The white dog on the stand doesn't go with my decor, but my sweet 5 yr. old grandson got it for me at Christmas. :)

Comments (66)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More nice pictures! Kkay, our tree is in bloom also, but we have it planted far from the house.

Dilly, now that is a beautiful space! I drank coffee on my porch this morning waiting for the cold front. It came, I Ieft. lol.

Good excuse not to finish my Rose pruning. :)

• 66and76
    9 years ago

It is so wonderful on these cool Spring mornings to open both sides of the French doors to let the breeze come in to freshen the house. I'm so glad that we had French screen doors built, too. This allows the doors to stand wide open without fear of birds or insects flying in. Now, if we could just manage to keep the pollen out!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I love the cozy spots I've created in our home. These are two of my favorites. When the weather is too cool to be outside, I like to sit right here in my living room, reading or visiting with family or friends.

The view out the door wall behind me is gorgeous, but so is this mountain view I see sitting there in my favorite spot:

But, when the weather is warm (it should hit the mid-70's this afternoon) I enjoy sitting out here at one end of my front portal (covered front porch):

Lynn

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

PinkPaula,

I love round tables in entry halls! What a lovely space.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

So jealous of those who already have spring flowers! We had a snow storm just last week, and spring bulbs are just breaking the surface. I'm thrilled with this picture for two reasons: 1) it's raining, which we really need, and not snowing, and 2) this week they started building the screen/sun room. It will be about 16'x22', and will have Eze-Breeze windows. I'm sure we will love it when the mosquitoes and gnats descend on us.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paula, that is one beautiful foyer! I don't have french doors but we made sure to add a storm door with a hidden screen. It's open right now and the breeze feels so good.

Joyce, I can't wait to see your sunroom when it's finished.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Joyce - what are eeze breeze windows? Deciding to go with a sunroom was one of the best decisions we have ever made. When building our house we had first thought a screened porch. We had it all built to where we could add windows - which we did in maybe a year. We have the sliding windows so you can have the 3 walls of windows open or have them closed. Room has heat and air so it is used year round. We use that room each and every day. We have french doors on the wall leading into the house from the sunroom. Love them.

tina

• patricianat
    9 years ago

What lovely and calming spaces you have all created. They are all lovely. Now when KSWL gets her pictures here and Joyce gets hers completed, all will be right with the world. I am so jealous that I cannot have every single space here. Mtn, if you like that hotel, you will LOVE Charleston Place. Make plans now.

• crl_
    9 years ago

All so lovely. That porch swing makes me swoon. I love our house but I do wish we had a front porch and a swing!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tina, I'd love to see a picture of your sunroom!

• voila
    9 years ago

Fun to see your spaces. We had hurricane resistant glass added to our front doors because the living room was dark.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

When we remodeled our kitchen 5 years ago, one of my favorite features was the windows we installed over the sink. Love the morning light coming in. We're moving in less than a month, so I'm really going to miss this.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I love those kitchen windows, nhbaskets! We are planning our kitchen remodel and planning for enlarging the windows.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Love this thread. Here's my LR. The morning sun creates a beautiful dappled light that I love looking at on my way to get coffee. I also love this spot because I found this antique sofa by the side of the road one day--the story that evolved from that point until its reupholstery has become a part of its history!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

MBR finally back in place, now we just have to get the rest of it done before our guests arrive next week. Yellow rug for under bed (to provide warmth on both sides for cold feet) being delivered this afternoon!

• Marg411
    9 years ago

Outside my DR. The flower in the middle has an "accent wall"

• bergiesgirl
    9 years ago

So beautiful spaces, WMA89 my heart skipped a beat when I saw your space I am in love with that cofee table and rug.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

Tina, here's a link to the eze breeze windows. They are not intended to make the room a 4-season room, but will definitely be 3-season in our climate (zone 3/4). We would not use this room during the winter, just too cold when temps get -20 to -40 degrees. We are insulating the room just in case we ever wanted to add real windows.

I would love to see pictures of others' sun rooms for ideas on decorating. For now our current deck furniture, which is fairly new, will be used until we figure out what we want to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: eze breeze windows

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

our living room. We have very little furniture 3 months after moving in, but wild peacocks roaming around keeps things interesting!

sometimes he shows off (this is on our back patio):

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay Pip, you win hand's down! WOW! Tell us about the peacocks. Do they belong to you or are they wild?

Two turkeys crossed the road in front of me this morning. :)

• crl_
    9 years ago

WMA89, that sofa is quite the find!

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

oakleyok, wild turkeys are awesome. The peacocks in our area are wild. We have about 40 that live on our street, and maybe a hundred total in our area. They are a polarizing issue in our area -- some people love them, some people loathe them and want them gone as they are loud, disrupt traffic, and can damage roofs and fences. Last week, I discovered a peahen eating my plants on my patio. But despite the noise and issues, we love having them around -- they're exotic and beautiful. I don't even mind when they waltz inside the house when my kids leave the doors open - I just shoo them out so they don't poop on the floor :)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Our incredibly ugly wild turkeys are jealous of your beautiful wild peacocks!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

WMA......that photo should be in a magazine....beautiful!

• teeda
    9 years ago

Thanks, joanie! Bergiegirl--everything in my house has a story: the coffee table was a a $30 Craigs List find (it come with two end tables as well). It was forest green, and I repainted it and applied metal leaf. I'm very happy with how it turned out. The rug is from Overstock. The lamps are 50s vintage and I got the pair at a thrift store for $10. I know the shades aren't the right size--I hope to be replacing them soon!

• Lyn_Ral
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of my LR. It's still a work in progress.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I'm so impressed wma! Lovely, and what a fantastic job on the coffee table!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

wma -- I loved your space before, and then was bowled over by the story that went behind it.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

This isn't a "today" picture, but it does illustrate a happy space in the home -- the shorter length of the banquette on the right soide of the picture -- it's a great place to open the laptop or newspaper and peer out into the street while sipping coffee.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I'm with kswl - our place is constructionland. The entry/formal living/kitchen/family rooms are what I am nearly finished rebuilding, the formal dining room is where the new appliances are hiding, bedrooms hold the displaced furniture, and the den/office has a full kitchen worth of appliances and kitchen cabinets ready to go into a rental once the people living there move out in a few months.

Right now my space is the kitchen since it's completely empty and the flooring there is in. It feels the least cluttered. I'd say outside too, except here in Charleston the tiny biting gnats are out and they're a real nuisance.

This post was edited by schicksal on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 9:49

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

My DH has a tiny Koi pond which wintered over and the 5 fish are fine. I carved the fountain a few years ago out of Styrofoam and applied many coats of latex. It is supposed to look scarey and protect the fish from whatever would like a nice meal. We can hear the water at night from our bedroom. The water doesn't flow when our world freezes, so the sight and sound are a real sign of Spring.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Really going to miss this front porch when we move.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

This sunny spot in our L.R. Is my " morning room" Oct. through March, for coffee, paper and ipad. And as much as I love a real fire, I'd not trade it for the ease of our L.R. gas logs on those chilly mornings. I move to the patio in April.
    PinkPaula..so lovely! You've done exactly what I want for our front doors. Would you share where your screen doors came from? Expect you're back east Here in so.ca. my front door screens will be a shock to the neighbors!
    Love seeing these special places in your homes, but pip dog! No fair! Yours are gone.
    :) marti

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

One more : a special,place in the upper hall where an ancient family crib holds quilts.....and sometimes a surprise for my youngest gd. :)

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

great photos everyone..thanks for sharing

pipdog - your photos have gone missing - can you please repost them?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Not the most current pic, but it's of one of my favorite spots in my house....in my room, where I can read, nap, enjoy the view, watch the birds, or meditate.

• zen4d
    9 years ago

OT: Annie, that's one of my favorite spots ever posted on GW. So pretty, peaceful, perfect. Haven't seen the finishing touches; I'm sure it's just as nice.

• demifloyd
    9 years ago

This is my favorite place to talk on the phone, away from the television, and comfy:

This is my favorite place to be totally alone to meditate, pray, read and think. I don't use it as much because it is an upstairs room, but it has the amenities of teapot, cashmere slippers, candle, books, a view, etc.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Two wonderful rooms, Demi! Very lovely, cozy and welcoming. I could spend hours and hours in that first one . . . ahhh!
    Lynn

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Demifloyd, your home is beautifu. I'd love to see more! :)

I wish I could keep the morning sunlight shining in my rooms forever.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

• debo_2006
    9 years ago

awm03: what color and brand is the base paint used on your stair walls? -D

• voila
    9 years ago

Demifloyd, your sitting room is so elegant. The fireplace with the marble is a lovely focal point along with what looks to be a grand piano.
    gr8day, LOVE the painting. Is it antique?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Gr8day, I love that painting! Just lovely and your pupster is precious!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Beautiful rooms!

Demi....what color is on your walls? It almost looks apricot....a beautiful shade you don't see nowadays.

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

I love them all, but especially the one posted by louislinus! Oh my, it's like going back in time to my grandma's front porch.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Some beautiful places for repose and respite from the world and the day's trials.

• demifloyd
    9 years ago

Thanks, Oakley, Lynn, Voila and Joanie.

I love every photo here because it represents someplace special to each of us, but I am partial to those beautiful morning light rooms and the outdoor spaces.

Truly some places I could easily be transported to!

Joanie, the color on the walls in both of those rooms is Cognac, an Ellen Kennon color that she custom made for me in 2005 when we built the house--a friend came out to the house, looked at it in the afternoon sun and pronounced that it looked like cognac! I told Ellen and so it is named Cognac.

It's a little lighter than the Bronze color I thought I wanted, but love how it changes depending on the seasons, the amount of sun and greenery outside.

It's nice that we all try to find these spaces to give us a respite from our daily trials and tribulations, indeed, patricia.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Thank you! I love that painting and it is not an antique as far as I know. I just adore my rescue Golden too. She is the sweetest dog ever and a senior who had been returned twice to the rescue. She was given another chance so we adopted her. The reasons were because the people said they were allergic to her and the other one said she made a noise like a growl but she does that when she breaths in really fast or hard, but it's not a growl. She was not very pretty with missing and wiry hair and pathetically skinny and needed lots of nurturing to gather the beauty she is today. I think she had been out a long time in survival mode. â¦.When I saw her always sitting there it made me feel like she was keeping my long deceased father company or guarding him. He has been gone since he was 52 in 1976 when I was just a kid. My dog is like my shadow. She loves riding in the truck. She sits by the window and watches squirrels as the scenery goes by. So cute. : ) My husband loves her too. Thanks again.

Such beautiful photos that everyone posted! Love them all. Especially the rescued sofa from the side of the road! What a wonderful story! Sometimes things in your house just make you smile or feel closer to someone or just feel happy and content.

This post was edited by gr8day on Fri, May 2, 14 at 8:01