Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tehyajenz6

What to do with "extra room"?

TehyaJenZ6
9 years ago

If all goes as scheduled, in 2 weeks I'm moving into a new house. When you walk into the house to your left is a formal living room that opens to a dining room. I have no use for a living room but as it's visible when you come in the front door, I need to come up with something to put in there that looks nice. I've attached a picture - where the outdated chandelier currently is is the dining room area of course :)

Any Ideas?

Comments (20)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Can you give more info. about your lifestyle? single? family? kids? grandkids? entertain a lot? Why "no need for a LR?" More info. can help with brainstorming.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I don't know about you, but I find some dining rooms to be too small! Could the front room become your dining room, and dining room a small sitting area? In our up last house I turned a corner of my DR into my own little sitting spot, and it was nice to be near the kitchen but not in it.

• anitamo
    9 years ago

How about a formal library? You're lucky to not need the space as a living room.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Let's see:

a)Library/home office: Add white Ikea Billy shelving to the main room with a couple of comfy chairs, table and standing lamps. Add a desk to the smaller space.

b)Yoga space: Add lots of plants and yoga mats. Add a small TV for playing dvds.

c)Yes -- create a much larger dining room -- and use the smaller room for four comfy armchairs around a lower round table -- for a coffee or reading area.

d)Arts and Crafts Studio -- create a full crafting space with shelving and large table.

Just some thoughts! :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It looks like the front door opens into this room, so a dining room may seem a bit strange.
    Is there a way to have a shelf that may obscure the view. Then use it as a library/reading area, provided it's relatively quiet.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Probably the best thing to do is live in your house a while with that room empty. You'll learn what activities don't have a good solution and that will be how you will want to use the extra room. Don't worry if that activity isn't the prettiest. You can always add a wall or doors to screen the room from the entry. My personal opinion is that you should use every room in a house and not pay for space that is just for looks.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Is there a sign saying "You must do something with this room now!" If not, I would say live in your house and decide within the next few years. I am sure you will decide. Don't let a good room go to waste if you are paying rent and utilities on it, however, unless you like to lie awake at night and think about what you can do with it, thereby mentally exercising your decorating options.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

If it were my house, I would try to turn in into a modern version of the famous Zuzu living room with four chairs and a round coffee table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zuzu's room

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Pool or ping-pong table! We had a very formal living room in our previous home but never used it - all through my son's middle and high school years it's where he and his friends played ping-pong. I lived it because it meant they were hanging out at our house.

• sweeby
    9 years ago

Why not have an 'informal' living room? One with a few comfy but good-looking chairs placed close together and away from the walls, no TV, and a good place to read. Use the space to visit with your hubby, talk to friends, have coffee in the afternoon or evening? Not having a TV in there assures the room stays nice and peaceful.

Like Zuzu's room -- The magic there is that it makes you want to sit down for a cozy chat or curl up with a good book. It's the scale and proportions of the space/furniture that makes the room so cozy.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

DR and make current DR a home office? My DB and SIL have the same configuration...formal LR and DR to left of entry...they put a pool table there with a nice sofa, tv mounted on a wall, custom drapes...it coordinates well with the rest of the house and is just as formal as the other rooms.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Zuzu's room is so well-done. Thanks for posting it--I haven't seen it before.

I agree with all previous suggestions--but it depends upon your lifestyle and how you would best use it.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Gray, Zuzu's room only works because of everything in the room, not just the table and chairs. Plus, the room is on the small side.

Before I can give any ideas on the room above, I also want to know why you don't need a LR. Do you have a family room?

Whatever you decide, remember the room will be seen from the entryway.

A library would be nice but it would have to have a LOT of shelves and books for it to work for me.

If you're a party girl, you could do a pool table. :)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Oakley OK, that is what I was thinking. Much of Zuzu's room is related to the architecture of the room, not just the table and chairs. So happy you reinforced my opinion but I am occasionally afraid to throw a fast ball out there for fear of being knocked out of the park on my butt.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Right, Oakleyok, but Graywings' suggestion was a "modern version." So, obviously, the board and batten, (what looks like) gingham drapes, traditional built-ins, toile, etc., of Zuzu's room isn't what she's suggesting.

I think (perhaps Graywings will clarify) what is suggested is the seating arrangement. The OP could accomplish this with oversized leather club chairs, a large coffee table, floor lamps (in lieu of crystal chandy), and so on. I have a friend who had this same setup in her LR in transitional decor. It's so inviting, conversationally, for guests. There's no TV in the room, so her family isn't inclined to want to spread out on a sofa.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Is there a doorway to the room or is it open when you first walk in? I am all for whatever you need space. My DR is a playroom, my LR is soon to be a school room, I have one small bedroom that is a cat room, and one bedroom that is soon to be an office (more typical I think),

The LR was an office for awhile. I have drapes over the doorway so you can't see it when you walk in.

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1) There's a family room that's twice the size of this room and also a huge finished basement. This room is 11x13 if I'm not mistaken.
    2) There is no door to this room. The picture is from the perspective of the front entry next to the steps. Other than the entry way, this is the first thing you see in the house.
    3) The kitchen is off the dining room area to the right. I want that to stay the dining room.
    4) It's just me who will be living there. No grandkids yet.
    5) LOVE Zuzu's room! That's a little more formal for me. I do like the library idea but I'm one to read a book once and be done with it. I love to read, but I usually check books out from the library or download them to my Kindle.
    6) I'm not sure how to describe my style. I'm going to include a link to the listing of my house so you can see for yourself. The living room here is the only room I put any thought into decorating, but I think that is fairly obvious!

Here is a link that might be useful: My house

• bpath
    9 years ago

Definitely a Zuzu room. You can do any style of chairs and upholstery that speaks to you. My parents had a space in their LR like this, but with mid century low chairs and table. Yours would be a nice place to retire to for after dinner coffee with friends, as well as a nice spot to receive visitors that you don't want to take back to the FR. You know, like the insurance agent, etc.

Enjoy your new home!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd set it up as a sitting area...not necessarily a library. Or else I would use it as a yoga/meditation room. Maybe a music room if you play piano or keyboard. Or it can be an office area with a desk for doing computer and paper work. It can be anything you want it to be.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Making an entry room into a yoga room or an office would make me a nervous wreck. I would feel like every time I came home from grocery shopping, I had to hurry up and put the groceries away, get the yoga done while answering the e-mails and get on with the cooking so I could get back to exercising. Make it a room for reading novels, keeping a diary, knitting, playing the piano, the clarinet, listening to music and just relaxing. No need to give one's whole life to societal demands such as exercise, diet and e-mails from demanding coworkers.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:50