Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randita_gw

What's the trend in kitchen canister sets?

randita
12 years ago

What's the latest trend in kitchen canister sets (for flour, sugar, tea, etc.)?

Looking to update my sorry shape ones and would like something sharp. Kitchen is traditional.

Or are canister sets pass� and no one's putting them out any longer?

Thanks!

Comments (51)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Agree with Tina, I haven't used any visible for 12 years. I think they are passe too but like Tina said, the big clear jars are probably the most in style.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Whatever you like is what's in style. :) I stopped using canisters because I'd much rather have the counter space, especially when I'm cooking.

• rockmanor
    12 years ago

Like Oakley, I'd rather have the counter space. Plus, I tend to be a messy cook and would rather not have to dust flour and powdered sugar off canisters regularly. ; )

Here's what I have in our pantry - made in the USA & BPA-free:

Here is a link that might be useful: C&B airtight food storage

• avesmor
    12 years ago

It completely depends on style.

I have a canister set but I keep them in my pantry. Don't want my countertops cluttered. I use wide mouth glass canisters so that I can 1) easily see what's in what (I use 8 of them, so labeled ones do me no good) and 2) easily fit my largest measuring cup in the mouth.

I see a lot of these styles:

{{!gwi}}

• nostalgicfarm
    12 years ago

I have a patterned cookie jar for my flour and a solid canister for my flour. They are the same color tones, but aren't matchy matchy. I have thought about not using them, but I need something in the space. I don't like when I have flour left on my flour cookie jar...kindof a pain to keep clean sometimes, but we use flour often, so it is nice to have them handy...like for gravy!

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I like to use canisters. I have an older set of Williams Sonoma; use one for my flour and one for sugar. They are extemely well made with a tight fitting seal. If I get flour on them, I just wipe when I clean the counters. It probably helps that they are a white background and I don't see the flour :).

Plus they are decorative pottery on my counters. Now, if I did not have plenty of counter space, I would perhaps not use them.

• beth4
    12 years ago

I don't think it's a matter of "trend"....I think it's a matter of practicality. If you have the luxury of enough space to store your dry ingredients elsewhere, then cannisters may not be necessary in your kitchen. My own kitchen is small with limited storage, so I use cannisters. These cannisters (ceramic & copper tops) are 20+ years old....maybe even older, and they will be the cannisters I use for the rest of my life. I just don't think these kinds of things go in or out of style, provided they fit your kitchen theme or colors or decor.

If you're looking for interesting cannisters, you might try thrift stores,yard or estate sales to find cannisters that are more unique, with more personality pizzazz.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

My dry ingredients are stored in the pantry because I don't have the luxury of enough extra space on my counters! If I were to have canisters on display though, I'd be really drawn to something like Avesmor pictured. I love the vintage European feel that those convey.

• pps7
    12 years ago

I have canisters similar to those that avesmore posted. Ther's not on my counter though, they're on an open shelf. They contain coffee and sugar that DH uses everyday and he wanted it by the coffee machine.

• prill
    12 years ago

I agree, it's personal. I have seen a lot of clear glass jars recently.
    I like antiques, so I use an old crock for my flour and old flow blue canisters for
    canisters (when they come with lids) and for utensils, etc.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I haven't had canisters on the counter for at least 25 years. Maybe longer. Everything is in clear glass containers inside the pantry. Last two pictures in link below.

I think it's a personal preference, but I stopped using them since it seems like they were not really airtight.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pantry

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Like other posters, my dry goods are kept in air-tight containers in the pantry. Unless I'm baking, I seldom use flour or sugar, so I have no need to take up valuable counter space with them. I do love the look of the large clear glass containers though.

• Sheeisback_GW
    12 years ago

I like the look of different canisters but I don't really use those things often so they're in air tight containers in my pantry. If I didn't have the pantry space, they'd be in pretty canisters on my counter.

• jlt37869
    12 years ago

I have no idea what is trendy these days. And regardless of where kept, you still need to deal pantry items.

I still have "kitchen canisters" and "cool cookie jar" on my shopping list ,,, so far I've not had much luck finding anything that I like.

In the meantime, I've been using a variety of inexpensive anchor hocking glass jars and canisters ,,, which have been working out well (functional, versatile, and I much prefer glass over plastic).

Sorry, I'm no help on this one (I feel like I'm in the same boat), just wanted you to know that I appreciate the post and look forward to the responses!!

• Ideefixe
    12 years ago

I use large French glass jars. If there's a trend, I don't want to know.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I also have not used countertop canisters in decades. I don't find them very practical, as they really don't hold much and are often hard to scoop out of. I invested in Tupperware modular storage containers for my dry goods back in the 80s. I can store 10 lbs of flour in the large size and 5 lbs of sugar in the medium. They all fit neatly on my shelves.

My daughter has a very small kitchen in a studio apartment with very limited storage, and is forced to store things on top of her refrigerator. She found these stainless canisters at Target that hold tea and granola bars and are much more attractive than a bunch of boxes.

• mykingcomforter
    12 years ago

I agree with many of the posts, that displaying canisters on the counter is not quite as common as it used to be, but if it works for you, go for it! I believe with bigger houses these days, there are larger kitchens and therefore more cabinet space to put the canisters in. If you want the canisters displayed on the counters, I would go shopping for pretty glass canisters. The only thing I would not recommend is "tupperware" style canisters, because those are for use inside the cabinets!

Here is a link that might be useful: MyFavoriteBedding

• natal
    12 years ago

Cooking is about convenience to me. In my former kitchen there wasn't room to store the canisters in the pantry, so they sat on the crowded counter. Now that I have plenty of counter space I still keep a colorful flour and sugar canister on the counter top, but keep the other ones in the pantry.

• jillinnj
    12 years ago

Definitely a personal preference. There is no right or wrong. For me --

Dry goods (flour and sugar) are in tupperware containers in pantry. Not used everyday and don't want to look at them or clean them everyday.

Coffee beans - used everyday and stored in canister on counter next to coffee maker. Have actually been looking for a new one. The one I have is the Italian ceramic type, lots of blues, greens and yellows. I would now like a simple white canister. Found a pretty one at Home Goods. Brought it home. DH's hand doesn't fit in the top so he can't easily scoop out the beans! He makes the coffee so that didn't work. Returned. Still on the hunt.

Also, have a couple of the glass canisters (like in the old candy shops) for my DS's snacks for school (pretzels, gold fish, etc). He can fill his small tupperware in the morning and stick in his lunch box. Look pretty and are away from the food prep area so don't get dirty from cooking.

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

We have canisters on our counter, but they hold ground coffee, brown sugar and cane sugar. My DH loves to make coffee drinks and alternates between the cane and brown sugar. I really didn't want them on the counter, but I compromised since he does use them on a daily basis. Flour and regular sugar are in canisters in a cabinet.

We have these stainless canisters from Target. I think they look fine. And they were pretty cheap too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless canister set from Target

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

I have canisters on my counter, they fit nicely in the corner. They are a cobalt blue glass with silver lids. Though I'm missing one because it broke so I'm looking for more colorfull glass ones.

• rafor
    12 years ago

Trends? Schmends!! Who cares. It's YOUR kitchen. Do what YOU like!!! :)

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Natal - love your canisters! They make a nice decor statement! But you always have the neatest accessories.
    I also like the others posted.

I personally think nice canisters do for a counter what art does for a wall or drapes do for windows! Plus they serve a purpose.

Tuesday

• mjsee
    12 years ago

I don't know about trends...mine are all from Mark Hewitt's studio...journeyman made (please ignore the tea-strainer drying on top of one!):

When I FINALLY get to re-do my kitchen I'm designing the kitchen around them. They were a gift from a good friend and I love them...

• User
    12 years ago

I have a set of canisters on a small counter that my daughter bought me a few years back. I use them occasionally to store miscellaneous stuff but my bulk products like flour are stored in our pantry. On the coffee bar we have for my DH, I found two large glass canisters with chalk board paint on them for labeling, one's tea, the other is sugar.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I also have the Williams-Sonoma canister. This is for coffee. It doesn't hold as much as it looks, but I refill it. The cookie jar is DH's from when he was little. We keep the Spenda packets in there.

The flour and sugar are in plastic air-tight bins the cupboard. I don't bake that much, so there is no need to keep them out.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I love handmade American pottery and love those you have mjsee!

• toriat
    12 years ago

I don't have cannisters. I store everything inside cabinets or in the pantry. My kitchen is very small and counter space is at a premium. I do think they look a bit dated however I have seen some nice sets if that is your taste.

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

Another vote for NO canisters.

Unnecessary clutter (there is also necessary clutter).

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I don't like to use canisters but if I did, I'd use the ones mjsee has! Love them!

• natal
    12 years ago

I personally think nice canisters do for a counter what art does for a wall or drapes do for windows! Plus they serve a purpose.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't do a lot of baking, but I do use a teaspoon of sugar/flour here & there while cooking. It would drive me nuts to have to go to the pantry for that.

• sis2two
    12 years ago

I have the large clear glass ones with black iron lids that I purchased from the container store. They seal great and fit the farmhouse style of my kitchen. One contains oatmeal and the other sugar which I use daily so it's handy.

• bama12
    12 years ago

Mckenzie Child black and white check (enamel)....LOVE them.......!

• bigdoglover
    12 years ago

beth4, I LOVE what you've done with your kitchen. Can you tell me the name of your granite? ( I have the same color cabinets and need to put in a new backsplash and new granite.) Thanks!

I have a set of three small square canisters held in a scrolly wrought iron rack. I've had them about six years. They're very handy for things you use in small quantities regularly, like sugar.

I think canisters or no canisters depends on your style. If you're a minimalist I guess no canisters is best. My kitchen is very traditional, so a little something here and there looks good. I used to have my countertops FILLED with things -- French Pig Chef, topiaries, various canisters, just lots of stuff a decorator said I should have out. There was no room left to work! when we moved I changed my thought on this and now have only a few things out, and all are there for a useable purpose.

• Linderhof1208
    12 years ago

I have two big glass cannisters for flour and sugar next to the mixer -- they each will hold two bags each. On the other side of the kitchen I have English "sweetie" jars (candy jars) which hold the coffee, tea, vanilla sugar, etc. They still have their labels on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetie Jars

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

mjsee,
    I Love, Love, Love your Mark Hewitt canisters.
    You're so lucky to have them...(You
    lucky duck)
    I had to smile when you said that when you
    re-do your kitchen, you're going to design your kitchen around them...
    You are a girl after my own heart, I totally understand
    where you're coming from, as I would do exactly the same.
    oh yeah!
    Joann

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, all! We collect Mark Hewitt's pottery--and the stuff from his studio journeymen and journeywomen. We're probably going to miss his next kiln opening (The Boy is graduating from college that weekend) but I'll link his website with the info below for those of you in NC (or for those up for a road trip.) Kiln openings are HUGE amounts of fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mark Hewitt's website

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

My canisters are staying on my counter. I keep all my bird food and seed in them, so I have to access them frequently!

• lynxe
    12 years ago

natal, I have three aluminum cannisters very like -- maybe even the same as -- the ones in your second picture. I believe they were my grandmother's. They're in our pantry rather than on the counter, and I keep them mostly out of sentiment. I believe one holds sugar & the others may be empty. We don't bake and don't use sugar at all, so the sugar must be easily 15+ years old by now.

On our counter: one brightly colored ceramic container to hold wooden spoons and spatulas. This originally had been an artisan-made cookie jar, but I broke the lid. There is also another artisan-made jar to hold metal cooking things. It is in a color and of a design completely unlike the cookie jar, but we don't care.

Coffee is stored on the counter as well, in a store-bought cannister of yet a completely different style. Its cobalt color isn't totally out of place, as the cookie jar's design does include a bit of a similar blue in it.

Nuts and dried fruits are in glass jars, usually stored in the fridge. Spices in glass jars in a cabinet. Salt, rarely used, ditto.

My preference, is for found items, or hand-crafted, or antique, if possible. I don't like store-bought matched anythings, and I don't care about trends.

• natal
    12 years ago

Lynxe, those aluminum canisters were my mom's. She kept the grease canister (remember when people saved bacon fat?) and I have the other four ... flour, sugar, coffee, and tea. All are still in use.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

Oh you are so lucky! I have sugar, flour, and tea. Coffee got lost a long way back, possibly when I was a kid. I once saw the precise cannister I needed at a flea market, complete with a handle of the correct style, but the dealer wouldn't sell it to me singly. Oh well. They're not really my style any more....same with my mother's Russell Wright china. I have it packed away somewhere or other. BTW I didn't realize there was a grease cannister, so I guess my set is missing two pieces, and it may actually have been my mother's, not my grandmother's. The thought of a cannister of grease on the counter is so disgusting! I'm a near-vegan now, and even as a kid, I hated fat and butter. Giving it pride of place in the kitchen? No way! Anyway I am rambling but meant to say that when I read your comment, a light bulb just went on above my head: I'm going to use the tea cannister for tea! Why on earth did that idea never cross my mind before???

• susieq07
    12 years ago

I found this white ceramic canister set ,while our home was under construction, only one on the store shelf, I knew it was perfect for my kit. I believe it is timeless, modern enough, classic, love it! still after 14 yrs. in our home..

• beth4
    12 years ago

Bigdoglover, thanks for the compliment! The granite is Juperana Florence and I've loved it the nearly 6 years I've had it. Easy to live with, and doesn't show dust, spots, etc. It's very forgiving. It came resined, so needs no sealing. Good luck finding your perfect granite!

• rafor
    12 years ago

My Mom's canister's were the metal Nabisco Saltines tins!! She still uses them and I think they are still quaint. My brother is eyeing them as antiques!!!

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

hi randita...

I guess you could say I really like cannisters...

KA:)

• jlt37869
    12 years ago

kitchenaddict - love your kitchen ,,, and I really like that little towel rack ,,, do you recall where you picked that up? Thanks.

• bigdoglover
    12 years ago

beth4, thank you the name of your granite. Hope it's still called that.

I never heard of them being "resined". What exactly is that?

bigdoglover

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

hi jlt...

I found that at Bed Bath &Beyond quite awhile back...I don't see them there any longer..but you might find something similar online..

KA:)

• hrwoltman_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have found a few really nice canister sets at Amazon. Sometimes you can find some nice ones at garage sales too. I think ceramic canisters are starting to become more popular recently.

• catkin
    12 years ago

I have very little surface space and am in de-clutter mode. All mine are in glass jars hidden in cupboards.
    Eventually I will have next to nothing on my countertops--at least nothing funtional, just a pretty or two!

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors