Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Original Listing Photos Before I Bought My House vs. Now

KevinMP
11 years ago

I just noticed that I had saved the original photos used for my listing when I bought it. From it, you guys will be able to see the house as it was when I bought it: a blank slate, with white glossy oil paint everywhere and little to no furniture, which left nothing to imagination (and assumptions about what could or could not make it upstairs, etc.). Anyhow, it's so funny to look back at it now. It didn't even have a kitchen, and that hideous bathroom! It also reminds me that I need to clean my floors more often. I've also posted some after shots.

Comments (39)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I actually considered that house when it was part of the package deal. I am not sure if they considered breaking up the 3 (?) at that time--and I didn't want all three. Did only one of them have a kitchen, or two?

• caminnc
    11 years ago

WOW, you have really done a marvelous job!!!

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The one to the left had a kitchen (you can see the opening they created through the wall going from what is my dining room to the other house), but the kitchen is old. The little house behind me (which, thankfully, is no longer orange and blue) had a small kitchen. Once the previous owners split up the three houses for sale separately, they all sold within a few weeks, and we all closed within a week of one another.

Here are the afters, so that they're all in one place (some of them are a bit out of date (e.g., the orchid is now in an antique brass spittoon, and it's no longer Christmas), but it'll do. The yard/patio is still the same, so I'm not posting that. That's my next project once my brother gets around to it.

• User
    11 years ago

I like all the color! Great job on kitchen and bath, too.

• ohgoodness
    11 years ago

Wow, incredible.

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

I have loved watching your house evolve! I am in a smallish home as well (but not with any existing charm and character), so I particularly love beautiful homes in the scope and scale of yours. Thanks for sharing!

• nap101
    11 years ago

amazing job!

what color is the paint in your kitchen and bath. I'm looking for a good neutral blue and both are beautiful!

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

You've definitely made a Home Kevin. I love what you've done. Now you can enjoy!

Beth P.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

This is the best showcase of what color can do to small-ish rooms. It's incredible what a difference you've made in each space.

Do the homes share the patio? How does that work? (I know that is a simple question, but I have always lived in rural areas out west. We don't have homes like that here.)

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Wow! You've added an amazing amount of richness and beauty to something that had good bones but really didn't stand out. Also, wow, that is some high gloss white paint that was in there. No need for mirrors, just use the walls.

Also, can you tell me about your sectional? I really like the lines of it. I like that it has rolled arms for comfort, but they're not obnoxiously oversized like so many rolled arms I see.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I think you should buy the house across the street and work your magic on that one too.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone. It's been a lot of money, sweat, and blood, but it's getting there.

Paint color in the bathroom and bedroom is the same: BM Aura bath/spa (only comes in a mildew resistant, scrubbable matte finish) in Mount Saint Anne.

The patio is not shared. The previous owners, as Pal mentioned above, owned my house, the previously orange/blue house you see from the patio, and the house next door to mine, which you can see an opening through in the before photo of what is now my dining room. They used the previously orange/blue house as a guest house of sorts, so they opened up the patio. If you look closely, you'll see a wrought iron fence. That fence goes across the property now to block it off, but it's too low and see through (especially because that big bow window in the kitchen is right there). So I'm having my brother install a tongue and groove cedar fence to close off that area and to replace the ivy-ridden lattice fence on the right, and I'm then going to put wire in a criss-cross pattern and train ivy or some climbing plant through it.

The sofa is Thomasville's Mercer sectional with a scoop arm. It's a custom sofa that you can make any shape/length you want and it comes in a variety of arms, feet, cushion types. If you followed before, you may recall that I ordered the comfort crown cushions the first go around and they were shot after two years. I complained, and Thomasville replaced them free of charge with spring down cushions. The spring down are perfect (firm but soft and resilient). The upgrade to spring down is normally a hefty premium so they did me a big favor.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 11:12

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Great job on everything but I still have to say the rugs are my favorite! : ) Mind if I ask where you found the rugs in your kitchen? They're just the color I've been searching for.

• nanjean68
    11 years ago

So where did the large gold framed picture go to?

• kellysar
    11 years ago

I am absolutely in awe of what you have done with your home. Love TJ on mantle, but sure hope you can find a Ben Franklin for your home...

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

How fun to see the changes you wrought. Thanks.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Wow is right. You said blood, sweat, and money. No tears!?

Great job. Just beautiful.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Vision is a wonderful thing.

Well done, you!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Thank you for the detailed info about your sectional. That's great to know which cushions seem to hold up (vs the ones that did not).

• madeyna
    11 years ago

How does a home not have a kitchen? Did they tear it out right before resale? I am sprised the bank would finance it without one.

• livvyandbella
    11 years ago

Wonderful job Kevin!

• Irish2
    11 years ago

I just love your whole house, Kevin, including the "furry
    kids"!

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

You put in all that wonderful crown molding? I had just assumed that it was original considering the age of the home. You have done a beautiful job. How long has this all taken you? And I know that you did much of the work yourself, how much would you say was contracted vs. DIY?

And most importantly, what will you focus your energies on now that it looks like the house is mostly done?

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

What a transformation - your home is a wonderful combination of sophistication, warmth and comfort. Thank you for sharing all the photos.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It did have a kitchen by the time I closed. They put it in once they split up
    The houses for individual sale.

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

Wow Kevin! Amazing transformation. What is the color in the dining and living rooms, pray tell. :)

• threeapples
    11 years ago

I really love your style and the house is phenominal now. I can't believe those glossy white walls before!
    I also love your "Don't Tread on Me" flag :)

• awm03
    11 years ago

So beautiful, KevinMP. Now will you come do my house? lol!

• pirula
    11 years ago

The change is dramatic yet perfectly appropriate. Really beautiful. I think the outside is my favorite!

• bird_lover6
    11 years ago

Kevin, your house is gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

You really make me pine for my hometown!

Everything is lovely. I even like the befores.

Wow, how cool it must have been to have three houses in that location ... wow wow. Surprised they split it up. I guess they made more that way but I could argue it the other way - so rare to be able to amass a virtual "compound" in center city Phila.!

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Momto3kiddos, the dining room is Pratt & Lambert Wythe House Gray (a slate blue form the Historic Williamsburg Collection (CW721)), and the living room is Benjamin Moore Philipsburg Blue (HC-159). Thanks everyone.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

KevinMP,

I may have missed it, but how long did it take you to get your home from before to after?

I'm hoping you aren't going to say "less than a year" (mainly because I am having one of "those days" where the frustration with imperfections gets to be too much).

But really, it is a lovely transformation.

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

Amazing...I love everything in every room! I just stumbled on this - I wish I had been here through the remodel. Love the pup too - cocker spaniel, I think!

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did this all over the last year and a half, with the exception of some of the painting, which was done two and a half years ago and the front windows and door and the French doors in the bedroom which were all replaced about two years ago.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annz, I realized I never responded to you. They are Safavieh Cambridge in the gold/blue or tan/blue (can't remember). I got them on Overstock, and they were very inexpensive.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Kevin- Speaking of rugs....have you heard the latest TV commercials for The Dump? Yesterday (4/10) while preparing dinner the commercial announced that "The Dump is going out of the Oriental rug business." Prices will be up to 85% off this weekend only. I checked their web site, clicked on the Langhorne store and the same AD ran.

I don't know if this is akin to the all the Oriental rug stores that are forever going out of business but I thought I'd pass it along in case you were still looking for rugs.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a scam of sorts. They sell rugs from places that have gone out of business, so it's a bit of a play on words.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Thanks Kevin, I wondered about that, especially since the screaming ad didn't say 'forever'. While I deplore those marketing tactics I actually hope they keep selling Orientals. Ever since you mentioned that you were able to find some nice ones I've been meaning to stop there and just haven't made it yet. Well I did stop one day on my way to DH's office by the Mall but forgot they were only open on Fri/Sat/Sun and this was a Tuesday.

This post was edited by maire_cate on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 10:33