Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zen4d

Beautiful comforter set for these curtains?

zen4d
9 years ago

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find a coordinating comforter set for these curtains. any suggestions?

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, May 11, 14 at 4:14

Comments (28)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Did you check JC Penney? There are a few sets there that could work, depending on how formal/frilly/modern you want to go.

Or

It depends too if you want to introduce a new color or not.

You can always go with the straight ivory...add some throw pillows in the blue if you want....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I really like this one at overstock.

Or this one is really nice looking...

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 8:51

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie: Thank you so much, once again. I wouldn't mind adding another color at all. My favorite colors are the colors in Decor Summer/Spring 2014 cover, which remind me of a home I fell in love with years ago, Candice Bergen's home. I absolutely love her style. I guess those colors would be (the seed??) I would like for my home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollywood at Home: Candice Bergen

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, May 11, 14 at 4:15

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

When it comes to duvet covers, I prefer simple and elegant. Pottery Barn has gorgeous duvet comforts, and they're also on sale right now.

This one is "Porcelein blue", I suspect very similar to the blue/gray on your drapes. They all come in multiple colors.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Candice Bergen's home is full of beautiful warm and yet bright shades that are full of life and light while still giving a cozy feel...that could absolutely serve as a design seed for your home! Love it!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or PB dots in porcelain blue

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Maybe something with a gold in it? Again, PB (their inventory might be getting low, though - it's been going on for at least a week).

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Pottery Barn has some duvet covers and coordinating shams on sale. This was one I thought was pretty.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And, when all else fails, there's always Matelasse or linen, PB has both.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

LOL, I think we all posted about PB at the same time! This was another one I liked in shades of blue.

{{!gwi}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

They've got nice ones, outsideplaying. Also way prefer duvet covers to comforters because you can switch them out seasonally, wash them, store them much more easily than comforter sets, etc.

Don't care, though, for monogramming. Never quite understood what that is about. I know my initials! Lol.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I agree, Tibbrix, on both counts! Especially the laundry factor for bedding. And those dang big comforters always slide off the bed anyway. Or a lightweight quilt and small throw at the bottom is nice for summer. I've even just used the duvet cover itself (minus an insert).

• dakota01
    9 years ago

If you end up going with a patterned duvet - I'd look for one with a small print due to the large scale of the drape pattern.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

What about something like this from Restoration Hardware?

Here is a link that might be useful: Duvet

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just back from JC Penney, PB, and BedBath&Beyond and ended up buying a plain beige comforter - which I will return tomorrow (room is too blah).
    Annie: I like both your Madison Ave suggestions and the colors work for sure but wanted to see if I could introduce a new color. (I wanted a persimmon but found something with a beige/yellow pictured below).
    Tibbrix: I've always liked that simple clean look too but I think the room needs something else, however, that may be my default option - even though I'm dealing with creamy white on curtains and stark white of duvet.
    Outsideplaying: Like that and want to make sure patterns don't clash.
    Fun2behere: might take a drive to RH this afternoon and take a look.

There is one PB sample that I saw (no longer available but eBay has it). The colors work perfectly - the grey is the grey in the curtains, the blue is the color of the walls, the creams match, and there's another color introduced. I like it because it's soft and young, not heavy, yet again, however, I think the patterns clash.

Would you all give me your opinions again, please, on this?

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I find blues to be very tough to mix and match. I almost have to see the items in the room with the ambient light. While I think the pattern in your last picture may be too close in scale with the drapery fabric, it might work just fine. Too bad that it's only on eBay because I'm guessing that means no returns. I probably wouldn't chance it.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fun2BHere: I was able to get one from a PB in NJ at half the price of the eBay one. I'll try it and if it doesn't work, I'll be able to return it. I never knew blues were so difficult to work around!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Blues can be very tough to match, as Fun2BHere said. Some are gray, some are purple, some are yellowâ¦.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Zen4d, that's great that you found one that's returnable. I hope it works for you!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I thought the draperies/curtains would be a great jumping off point/focal point for the color and the focus and let the comforter remain subtle and pure elegance.

I particularly did not like the chenille ones that Annie posted but I do like chenille, just not for your room.

The curtains/draperies are beautiful.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Zen, pottery barn has this duvet and sham on sale right now in the gray of the photo and also in a beautiful gray blue. It's linen with a silk trim. Given your budget you could get two of the duvet covers, one on, one in the wash.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Zen, that one is pretty and I hope it works for you too. Not knowing the color of your walls it will be hard to tell. I think the pattern will work fine with your draperies.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Check out West Elm and Crate and Barrel, too, as well as IKEA. (They now have linen duvet covers, too). Not all their designs are modern.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan of the one you posted...somehow it doesn't look "rich" enough, IYKWIM...I think you can do better...

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Do not like the printed comforter you posted, zen, for pattern, color combination, the pattern is printed, etc.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I like the one kswl posted and for added pattern/color, you could use a print fabric for pillows. I agree with Annie on the one you posted.

tina

• zen4d
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just back from the weekend. Thank you all, once again, for your advice.

Patricia43: I thought they would be a great jumping off point too, but I wasnâÂÂt able to find anything that really caught my eye. I think thatâÂÂs due to my inexperience. I recently bought a design book that patty cakes recommended and am in the process of studying it so hopefully IâÂÂll get better at this. (P.S. Thanks PC if youâÂÂre reading this)

Kswl: I originally had a white duvet cover in this room, and it looked nice but I was looking for something more. I did see the PB gray bordered duvet and the grays are not a match so introduces yet another shade of gray. The drapes do read a lot more blue than gray. But I do love those sheets; I think Tibbrix posted them also.

Outsideplaying: The blue in the duvet cover blends with the blue in the walls; I was surprised with the exactness of the match. And the gray in the duvet is soft enough, and against the blue (in the duvet), the drapery color also works. My concern was, and is still somewhat, with the pattern.

Nosoccermom: I will take a look. Thanks.

Annie: Oh, you know how much of a fan I am of your style! I do think itâÂÂs not a rich look and my little voice keeps echoing that. I may order one of the comforters you posted and take another look, but I do like that I found something that at least matches in color. If I keep this, it will be another instance of settling.

Kswl: I hear you re pattern, but the colors live really do work. TheyâÂÂre identical matches, which is what I realized when I first saw the swatch they had. The pattern is still nettling me though.

Tina: the one kswl posted is a strong gray and in person doesnâÂÂt really work with the blue walls and the blue/grey drapes. In addition, I had that simple look, a plain white duvet with a light blue stripe on sides (which I do like), but I was trying to do something different.

Tibbrix: I purchased one of the patterned PB gray duvet that I believe you posted. The color was an exact match too, but felt too dark in this room.

Everyone, IâÂÂm going to try to pull 2 different looks together, the PB one and one of the comforters posted in this link, and then IâÂÂll post pics. To think I started off with this room because I thought it would be the simplest to work with. I have a long way to go.

Thank you!! You're incredibly helpful!
    ps Was there a GWer in JC Penney this weekend?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Hmmmâ¦I didn't post any gray PB duvets. Maybe you're thinking of kswl's or outsideplaying's?

I posted the more hotel-like duvets, with the simple lines, because I happen to like simple and elegant, and the one patterned with the gold and soft blue.

Grabbing one of the PBs while they're on sale probably isn't such a bad idea! And not only because it is a guest room!

Good luck with your search. You'll know it when you see it.