Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lamps in a Floating Furniture Plan

Posted by beth0301 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 8:15

I want to float a couple of comfy ready chairs in front of my fireplace. The room has no overhead lighthing, though I'm debating changing that.

I envisioned a cozy table between the chairs with a nice 3 way lamp - dim for ambiance, bright for reading. Then, duh, it occured to me that there's no outlet in the middle of the room.

I can use an area rug to cover the cord (I know, I know, a big no no) but the last 3 or 4 feet to the wall will be visable. I guess just get a brown cord so it blends with the dark walnut floor?

A battery operated lamp would probably be insanely expensive to run (not to metion tedious changing the batteries out so often), right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lamps in a Floating Furniture Plan

If you use a rug, you'll need to buy a nice/thick rug pad. Cut rug pad where the cord goes to make place for the cord - this give the cord and pad the same depth, so once the rug is place over the cut pad, the cord won't bump the rug. You can use some sort of tape to hold down cord in places, if you'd like.

As long as you're NOT walking over the rug/pad/cord, it will be okay. The danger is when they are place in traffic areas and walking over/on the cord damages it over time, possibly causing a fire.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 8:58

o

An electrician can put in a floor outlet for you right under where you place the table and lamp. Safe from causing a fire under a rug or tripping over the cord. Plus it just looks better than seeing a cord coming from under a rug across a floor.

o

Don't do it....if you think a cord across the floor is ugly, think how ugly it will be when your house catches fire.

If you must run the cord and not get a floor socket installed, then you should run the cord on top of the carpet and protect it with a rubber threshold.

Yes it's ugly, but safe....that's why you call the electrician and get the floor plug installed....

o

What Annie said. What you are proposing is a leading cause of house fires.

Have an electrician do a floor outlet for you. It's cheaper than fighting the insurance company for a fire claim due to willful negligence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here