Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Oh no! 1st big curve ball in house. Help!

chloenkitty
10 years ago

So after posting here and a stressful decision on what exterior color to have the house done in, we were thrown a curve ball. We chose sable brown from certainteed vinyl shake for front and siding from sides. Never thought I'd want a brown house, but it's a taupe brown, and really seems to go well with the home style on our heavily pine tree wooded lot. I think the fact that it's the color of the home in our plans, helped our decision too. Well, the builder decides to tell us last night, after knowing this was the color we were going with, that the darker colors are much more expensive! Ugh! I know we are going to go over budget with a lot of things, so I don't want one more!

I really do like a tan color or gray colored house, but I just don't want the same as everybody else in the neighborhood. As we all know, those two colors along with white, are usually the most popular colors for a home. This was a hard decision picking the color because the home is rustic yet contemporary. If you were me, would you go towards the beiges or the grays? If going with a beige or gray, I know I don't want something too light or too dark. If you go to Certainteed online and look at their vinyl shake, I think I like savanna wicker the best. The sable brown was our original choice.

The one thing that would be easier if we chose beige or gray, would be selecting the doors. I do like a richer tone wood and didn't think I could do that with the sable brown. I don't like the wood color pictured in the plan photo attached here of our house. With a beige or gray, I could def do a dark stain.

I would appreciate anyone's help as this really has me upset thank you.

Comments (82)

• awm03
    10 years ago

Clay:

• awm03
    10 years ago

And just because I love crisp, classic white houses with beautiful architectural detail:

• User
    10 years ago

Love the clay. Think the garage door should be a darker stain, though.

• awm03
    10 years ago

I agree, Tibbrix, and if I had more time, would fiddle with a garage door color. And I forgot to do the porch pediment, and there are some other spots I missed. But at least you get a feel for gray vs. clay/beige vs. white.

• User
    10 years ago

Ok Tibb, you've got me--- the worst advice was to paint a room all black, lol! But seriously-- as one whose homes have been both burgled and broken into when we were home, in the country and in a gated community--- I would never advise anyone to go without something.

Sorry for the hijack, kitty. Of all the colors posted I like the brown you chose originally or the darker taupe of Annied's house. On my iPhone the clay siding looks almost flesh colored. I'm sure it can't be!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Totally agree with Annie that stone and siding should be picked together OR pick the stone FIRST since that will be the focal point of the exterior. What if you pick brown siding then fall in love with a gray stone or vice versa?

Annie, your latest pics still look gray on my monitor. Love your house!

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I love the clay thst awm photoshopped.
    Beautiful home and great work awm.

• teacats
    10 years ago

A vote for the gray siding with a white or gray garage door -- and a super fun color for the front door -- like rich deep eggplant!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Skip the whirlpool tub and get the house color you want. You want to have that nice.satisfied sigh every time you drive up to your house, not a twinge of regret for settling for something else.

As for alarms, I agree that they are a huge pain in the butt and useless as well. The cost around here is $50ish a month plus an annual fee of $65 and a fine whenever it goes off by accident (you get a couple freebie mistakes, but after that it's like $150 per visit from the police).

I am not rich by any means, but when I reno-ed the bathroom, I got a heated floor. I looooove it. I'd rather have that than a burglar alarm any day.

Good luck with your decision.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awm03 thanks so much!! I almost asked if someone had photoshop or something to help out. If you ever have time and can make the doors a rich wood stain with the clay, I'd be so grateful! The natural clay is actually not a light color, but it's not real dark either. It's kind of taupe looking to me. If we go with the natural clay, I'd like to accent a few rows in the peak areas and at door entrance peak in another color either dark or light.

Also, as far as heated floors, I never even thought of it. I guess I'll keep socks on lol :)

• busybee3
    10 years ago

the natural clay seems to be a nice color... i don't think i would pay a large upcharge for a different color either!! good choice i think!

a comment on the alarm system... i don't get much of a feeling of security from burglars from it, but having the fire alarms tied into it is invaluable, imo!!

• awm03
    10 years ago

How's this?

• User
    10 years ago

awm, THAT is gorgeous.

• flowerpwr45
    10 years ago

Love it awm!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awe thanks so much awm, that truly helped. What do you all think of that combo and since I like the darker door, having a little bit of the peaks in the sable brown as an accent? I thought maybe lighter in the peaks, but the sable brown might look good. The window and rest of the trim white.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I really like the clay color. And the darker doors. I like the white peaks as well, because to me they look like they should match the trim work, not the doors. Also, since the doors are wood, the match to the doors would always be off because of the difference in material.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I understand why you want the sable brown. Will the gray look like a beach house east and the natural clay like a beach house south (to you) each time you approach your home or do you fear your friends will think so. To me, either is beautiful in the woodland setting and I would be very happy as they are all gorgeous as is your house.

When you see the gray, will you imagine a Kennebunkport home in winter and will the clay remind you of the Charleston Low Country when in the dead of winter you see pictures of a strange Southeastern tundra?

You are laboring over the color in your heart and mind and that first impressions are lasting impressions.

I can cut corners on countertops because I cook a lot and I just want something serviceable and attractive. It does not have to be the high-end/trendy stone everyone yearns for. Will I sacrifice a pedi/mani and new spring wardrobe for thed right stone. The new trendy stone will be forgotten in a decade but the neglect of other areas will linger.

I can cut corners on the stove. The cake baked in the GE high profile tastes as good as the cake baked in the high-end laCanche sully 2000.

The cabinets chosen from the bespoke cabinet designer/manufacturer from abroad can be made by my local cabinet company sans the designer name, so why not look at the local guy first. In working with friends and relatives, I learned that any cabinet that is made in Italy or England can be made in my area for much less sans the shipping costs as well.

Sure, you are locked in with your contractor and suggested subcontractors, but bear in mind the impression you get on first appearance and what others get, is lasting.

The colors of your floors or your oven are not as longlasting as the exterior's vital elements which should outlast the interior expendables.

I want you to see the house you love every time you leave your driveway or return home. I also want you to be able to cook, clean, bathe and dress in a comfortable home. Thousands will drive by and see your home. You and your family will bathe, dress, cook and eat in this house.

The ones pleased with your choices should be the ones who use it most often. The call is yours. These are life decisions which should be made by you and your family. Regardless of who helps you make them, they should ultimately be yours, which you are willing to sacrifice for and to live with for many years to come.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Patricia (my moms name) :) before we even chose our plans, my fav house styles were a classic white with black shutters and red door, a beige color with black door, shutters or a home with a stone front.

This home plan seemed to fit several things we were looking for, large porch, fitting in a wooded setting, large garage, open floor plan, storage. My husband never gives me a hard time decorating inside or out, he gives me freedom to do what I like without an argument. This is the home he fell in love with and I was fine with it. I liked others a bit more but not enough to take this home plan away from my hubby.

Our cabinets will not be high end, I won't have heated floors or $200 sq ft tile, I prob won't get a viking or wolf stove, but I might get a sub zero refrigerator, etc. it's things like that I am doing. Some a little more high end, some basic. I do want a certain hardwood floor and countertops to go with the kitchen inspiration, so those I will get!

The biggest thing with the exterior color, if anyone didn't catch this, is I never imagined myself with a brown house. It took awhile for me to accept, like and be at peace with the brown house color. I think because the image of the house in the plans was brown, it was burned into my brain, so it was hard to divert away from that image. I think this house could and will look great in any other color and I would hope to not be disappointed. I always had a thing in the back of my mind wondering if I'd like it brown, but it was what I accepted to do. I was hesitant to have another beige tone house on the block. I have ruled out gray. I think every house I see with gray shingles, they are real cedar shingles and the vinyl ones just won't look the same, but the beige tones see to look fine in the vinyl. I just do not want the upkeep ad expense of real cedar.

One person's graciousness in posting a photoshopped pic of the house in clay has really helped me. I think the house could look great in that color with the dark doors and stone. I'm a visual person and really need to see the whole pic, not just a sample. I am waiting to hear from the builder about homes done in colors I like in the area other than sable brown, and that should help. Thank you

• User
    10 years ago

chloenkitty, the naturalness of the sable brown and clay are so great for that style of house and will looks so good in your natural setting, I think.

Re: Sub Zero refrigerators. I love the interior of the refrigerator part of Sub Zeros. My parents have had one for 25 years, and the only problem they've had with it was, it turns out, because they hadn't been vacuuming the condenser every six months, or at the very least, once a year. Still, the repair cost them $1,000! Absurd!

However, I have a lot of clients who have Sub Zeros, more recent models, and they've had a lot of problems with them. Not sure what is going on if anything.

Regardless of which brand you go with, including low-end, something homeowners are never told is to vacuum the condenser once or twice a year. It's like changing the oil on your car - vital to the running of the fridge.

• User
    10 years ago

Okay, Chloe, so after suggesting you find ways to save money to put into the siding instead, I'm now going to spend some of your money you did not intend to spend!

I have a client (whose house I'm at now, as a matter of fact) who has a full-size, side-by-side Sub-Zero refrigerator AND freezer set. It is absolutely the best fridge/freezer setup if you can afford it and worth the money if you can.

If you have a large family and/or entertain a lot, this is really worth exploring.

Here is a pic. Hers is like this, only hers are paneled to match the wood, and they're right next to each other, nothing between them.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Is it too late to vote? Gray!!! I have a gray and white house so I'm biased. Also, gray and white cats are the best!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linelle, I love cats. I rescue them :)

Tibbrix, here's the refrigerator story, so I'd love your input. We have a standard size side by side refrigerator now and I hate, hate, hate, hate it!!!!! We cannot fit anything in it and it annoys me to no end!!! I will never have a standard size side by side again, ever! I swear I'd go back to the old school freezer style on top first lol. I know a lot of people get the French door to have more refrigerator space, but I just don't know if I'd like the freezer on the bottom. They seem like they're so small and you'd have to dig through the freezer for anything. I was thinking of a larger side by side, but not the gigantic ones where both doors are the same size, don't think I want to pay that much. I was going to look at the 42" sub zero, but there are none in my area, I'm going to have to go out of town, if you can believe that! Is there a lot more room in a 42" side by side? Also, it doesn't have to be a sub zero, I just need/want a larger refrigerator/freezer all around, but don't want (well sure I'd want lol) the real big side by side, so I'd love some suggestions on what to get.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Look at this! Someone posted pics for me of her house and the gables are accented in the sable brown. She said it has a lot of gray in it, which I thought as well. I really think I like the color, but I'm liking the natural clay color too. Why is this so hard? Her gables are done in the exact color and shingle style of the sable brown.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic

• User
    10 years ago

I have a top-mount refrigerator, and that is all I'll ever get. My father (Depression-era Yalie with a whole lot of know-how and common sense taught me that).

I, like you, loathe side-by-side refrigerators. I'm surprised how many people have them. Not only do they not hold anything remotely large, like a tray of food or a large turkey, whatever, but they are energy hogs.

Also really do not like these new French Door refrigerators. How ridiculous to need two hands to open and close a refrigerator! I guess that is what our third arm and hand is for - to take the food out of the fridge! So absurd. So many people shave those now - the IN thing, I guess. They also hold next to nothing, and that long drawer across the bottom (cheese, etc. is a pain and breaks easily.

I also don't like bottom freezers. I've found them to be very difficult in terms of finding food, etc. It all gets stacked on top of itself because bottom freezers either are boxes, or if they're a door type, you have to get down on your knees, get your spelunking gear out, and go in search of what you need!

This is what I'd get if I could: WAY less expensive than Sub Zero. Freezer on left, fridge on right. It's a Frigidaire.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is the size of that frididaire etc so I can make sure I'm looking at the right one. Want to look it up to see cost etc? Thank you, i really want space but don't want to spend $10k

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm looking on frigidaires site and don't see anything larger than 26 cubic feet, so hopefully you can tell me some info on this as I can't find it

• awm03
    10 years ago

"One person's graciousness in posting a photoshopped pic of the house in clay has really helped me."

Chloenkitty, how kind of you! I'm so glad the mock-ups helped. I'm still a novice at this sort of thing and don't make the most polished examples especially, so I'm grateful for your appreciation. It's fun to practice on people's photos here.

Your house will be beautiful even if you can't have your original color choice. From one cat love to another, here's wishing you smooth sailing during construction & many happy years in your lovely new home.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Do you need that much freezer space? Do you really eat a lot of frozen food? Most people don't nowadays. I also don't want a humongous fridge; even with a family of five, what is all that space for? Usually half of it devoted to stuff that should have been thrown out, IMHO. Groceries are bought pretty much daily in our house. I sometimes think that appliance companies are not keeping up with todays' eating habits; more fresh fruits and veggies (which need to be consumed quickly), and more eating out; all adds up to far less storage. YMMV of course.

The one time I want space is for entertaining. Like most people, we have a second basement fridge for that. I also love the frig drawers for that. In fact we call them "event drawers" here because thats where platters and such go when we entertain.

We have had a subzero in both our current house and our first house. In both cases it was supplemented by fridge or freezer drawers elsewhere in the kitchen (which I love). I don't mind the bottom freezer because it pulls out all the way; easy to see and find things (but again we freeze very little).

Yes, you need to vacuum the condenser every yr (more if you have pets). I posted on this a while back I think to remind people. Think of it as one of the things you do when the clocks change!

Never had any other problems with the subzeros (first one we had 10 yrs, this one three). I chose them because, among panelled fridges, I think theirs is the best disguised.

For our new project (summer home), I chose a Northstar for the retro look. In the summer home we sold, the PO had a GE profile. Lasted 7 yrs and needed 2 repairs in the interim.

PS I vote not for the two tone house color. Your house already has lots of detail; don't overload it.

• User
    10 years ago

Chloe, sorry, I had to run out to a friend's house. I mention that, because a new house across the street from hers is the same style as yours and is in the clay color. It's beautiful. She has a wood front door, but it's solid, and I think it would look better if they had chosen with with two or three small windows at the top.

Also not good, their garage doors are white, not the wood. Would look much better if they matched the front door.
    However, they have a wonderful detail I hadn't thought of that I thought I'd mention. the ceiling of the front door stop/porch area is stained beadboard, stained to match the door. It's gorgeous. Like this:

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibb, I think I have realized what the frigidaire is, a full size stand alone 19 cubic refrigerator and the same in a freezer. I found the refrigerator on their site, but not the freezer, so I'm assuming that's it. The refrigerator was $1,699 so I'm assuming the freezer is similar. The reviews are not that good though as most people complain about the same issue. The reviews were from 2013 so maybe they've improved, but I don't know.

• User
    10 years ago

The Frigidaire fridge/freezer combo will run you @ $3,000. You buy each separately (make the handles are on the inside of each!) and you buy a kit you attach to make it look like one unit.

AJ Madison has very good prices.

Fridge and freezer both are 18.6 cu. ft. each. Scroll down link and you'll see the prices for the kits: single is $299, double is $399.

Width of each is 32", so 64" total.

Height is 71-3/8"

Here is the freezer link, and you can look at the partner refrigerator while you're on the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezer

• User
    10 years ago

And btw, these are from the Frigidaire Professional Series.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Kitty, I wish you the very best and it looks like you are taking your time to ensure you like what you get. I love that you are researching fridges, etc. Good luck. Your house is going to be beautiful. I love kitties and kitty people and they deserve the best. My neighbor, a good friend, is a kitty rescue person and she has built her kitties a glass house with a door to enter/exit for their necessary trips. What a sweet and beautiful person she is. I love kitties but I have trouble just caring for 1-2 at a time and my husband. ;-)

• User
    10 years ago

FYI, Chloe: everything is made really poorly now. It is definitely a minefield out there, esp. re: appliances. Like I said, I can't beleve how many of my clients have had problems with their very, very expensive Sub-Zeros, Vikings, etc., and after an unreasonable amount of ownership time, for what they paid.

What can I say? Stuff used to be made much, much better. but, having said that, you run the risk no matter what you buy. Most of this stuff is owned by about three companies anyway, i.e.: Sub-Zero is also Wolfe, Maytag is also whomeverâ¦on and on.

However, that is the configuration I'd look for if I had a large kitchen, entertained a lot, etc. Keep the condenser clean! Best advice I can give. That will spare you a ton of problems and money for unnecessary repairs, which of course they don't tell you are unnecessary.

But, if you can fit that configuration, I think I can guarantee you'll love that decision.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mtndredux, all I know is I have a standard size side by side right now and I am miserable every time I open the doors. I don't care if I shop once a day or once a year, I hate it and want something bigger. I have been paying attention all these years to what I like, don't like, can live without in my current house and the biggies are: more closet space, a pantry, a mud room, larger refrigerator lol. Those are all must haves for our lifestyle.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I agree side by sides are awful, but I think a full size freezer next to a matching refrig is ungainly looking and probably not necessary for most families lifestyles' today.

• User
    10 years ago

Have to disagree with mtn. Today's lifestyles are more necessary. Part of what I do has me staying in people's homes often, and I've got two clients who have these full-size side-by-sides, and the are great and surprisingly unobtrusive. In fact, a boxy traditional style refrigerator (like what I've got) is much uglier since it sticks out beyond the counter.

But these are counter depth.

In addition, housesâ¦and by extension, kitchens, are SO much bigger than they used to be, including being meshed in in open floor plans, so they absolutely can handle the size of this idea perfectly.

I'm pretty old-fashioned and am not into a lot of this new-fangled stuff so many people feel they need, but if I had large kitchen, a family, and/or entertained frequently, this would definitely be on my must-have list. If you get them with panels rather than in stainless steel, you don't even know they're there.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 18:55

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And funny, I seem to know more and more people getting them especially in new builds.

• User
    10 years ago

Whirlpool/may be a Frigidaire.

• User
    10 years ago

electrolux:

• User
    10 years ago

Which appliance companies are the same?

Here is a link that might be useful: Who makes which brands?

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, this is the size I was hoping to get. I'd love to have the really large fridge/freezer combo, but I think I'd prefer this size. I'm guessing this is sub zero. Do you know of any other companies that carry a size like this and is the refrigerator size on this kind much larger than a standard size side by side? Thank you

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry Chloe! I got your email, but I can't respond because you don't have email set up on GW. Please don't think I was ignoring you! If you don't have email set up with GW, when you email someone, if you want a reply, you have to provide your email address in the text of your message.

RE: the fridge. I don't see any of those in a smaller scale. It really depends on the size of your kitchen. If it's a large kitchen, it can definitely handle the all-freezer/all-refrigerator combo.

W/o knowing you, I can say with some certainty that that would be a decision you not only would not regret but would come to be very, very glad you made. (unless you're a single gal who keeps one Yoplait in the fridge and some ice if the freezer!).

Why not talk to a local supplier of the Electrolux/Frigidaire/Whirlpool doubles I put up and ask them if there are any people in the area who have bought them and if they'd mind contacting them to see if it'd be okay if you came over to take a look at them in an actual setting? Most people would be flattered and happy to do so, and those who don't would just say no to the appliance dealer.

the issue with those, IMO, is the SS. Like I said, both of my clients' units had the paneling on them to match the cabinetry, which made them completely obscure in their kitchens. However, the fact that these things are count depth also makes a HUGE difference. You'd likely have cabinetry in the space that would be taken up by the larger fridge/freezer units, right? So what's the difference? All it is is COLD cabinet space, when you think about it! I doubt the Electrolux/Frigidaire, etc., have options for paneling, though.

• User
    10 years ago

Chloe, just thought I'd mention that, if you come across these freezer drawers, do NOT think that's a great alternative! They're HORRIBLE. STAYâ¦..AWAY! Another client of mine has them (sub zero), and they hold NOTHING, are a total pain to use because you have to take everything out to get what is underneath the top stuff, and she had a big repair problem that went on forever.

They are the absolute WORST.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

If you are considering built-in refrigeration, look at Thermador as well as SubZero. I have the columns and have loved them. Thermador was the only fully integrated when I got them and they now are now the maker behind a number of other names while SuZero also has a fully integrated look now too. I think they are the best looking and best quality -- though I have heard of issues with SubZero service from time to time. You also hear about 20 year old fridges that are still working, so I'm sure that runs both ways for SZ. I had the first ":Freedom Series" columns installed in this area and I think they are now over 7 years.

If you have any interest in undercounter drawers (or stand up units), fridge or freezer, look at Perlick. Outstanding commercial quality in a home unit. I have fridge drawers in a breakfast room hutch and love them. I think they work best for specific uses in a certain spot rather than as a general fridge or freezer trying to accommodate all purposes.

BTW, as to your original question, I like white and grey houses, and the sable looks great on that house, but so does the clay. You don't need to have the added expense for your house to look great -- can't give any input on the neighborhood issue. Different colors, materials, elevations, and landscaping call all help avoid the cookie cutter feeling -- but I don't see you house looking like a cookie cutter type to begin with. If it is just similar colors being used frequently, it may be because they fit the area and keep that calm, wooded serenity that appeals to everyone. Maybe it's not a bad thing. I've seen the same few colors on a majority of houses in some of the highest priced neighborhoods -- never thought it was a problem.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

clay and sable are 2 good colors... as long as you like both, you'd probably be happy with either when it's all said and done... building always has so many unplanned costs- an upcharge for exterior color would be a negative for me, just on principal! lol

however, with something like refrigeration, i would consider spending more to get what you really want. i have had a subzero for 12+ yrs which has been fantastic- 36", bottom freezer. i like this set up... i find bottom freezers no more difficult than top freezers. during silly power outages, the SZ holds it's temp extremely well. veggies and fruit stay fresh well. it has never been my only frig- if i didn't have extra refrigeration in the house, i would want more than this, but i am happy with this size in my kitchen.
    i have never had a side by side frig-can't help you there- but will have a 48" sxs (i believe) in the house we will be moving to... i no longer have kids home full time, so i am sure it'll be fine... i hope!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We found a color we love, rugged canyon by mastic

• User
    10 years ago

Congrats, Chloe. Are you saying you can get it, I hope?

• kmiller2723
    8 years ago

Rugged canyon is one of our choices too. Do you have pictures of the finished house?